Sold in less than 30 minutes

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Sold in less than 30 minutes

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Saturday, I listed my 8 month old HPF Optimizer Bull on Craigslist Lexington. He sold in less than 30 minutes.

Got a text: Do you still have bull? I want him.

I thought it was a scam. I was extremely cautious because the prospective buyer resides out of state (Tennessee). Talked on the phone. Told him only cash. He ask if I would accept 18 $100 bills. Reply: yes.

Vet came yesterday and checked ear tattoo and filled out health papers. Certified as virgin bull so no trichomonas test. Ask Dr. Darren Stanfield, what will he weigh? I don't have him on a scale but I would estimate 900. I had told the buyer 800.

Guy just left with bull. He, his son and his son's 15 year old daughter made the 5 hour drive to get the bull. Son looks at dad and says, "he is closer to 900 than 800. He has a lot of muscle and look at the bone."

Loaded like a puppy dog. They walked through my fall calves. The daughter was petting them. The older gentleman (69) says no way are his Angus this gentle. I got some that would be on the other end of the pasture if this many strangers were around.

I met new people and made friends. They were wonderful people. A very rewarding experience.

0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Sold in less than 30 minutes

Postby M-5 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Saturday, I listed my 8 month old HPF Optimizer Bull on Craigslist Lexington. He sold in less than 30 minutes.

I thought it was a scam. I was extremely cautious because the prospective buyer resides out of state (Tennessee). Talked on the phone. Told him only cash. He ask if I would accept 18 $100 bills. Reply: yes.

Vet came yesterday and checked ear tattoo and filled out health papers. Certified as virgin bull so no trichomonas test. Ask Dr. Darren Stanfield, what will he weigh? I don't have him on a scale but I would estimate 900. I had told the buyer 800.

Guy just left with bull. He, his son and his son's 15 year old daughter made the 5 hour drive to get the bull. Son looks at dad and says, "he is closer to 900 than 800. He has a lot of muscle and look at the bone."

Loaded like a puppy dog. They walked through my fall calves. The daughter was petting them. The older gentleman (69) says no way are his Angus this gentle. I got some that would be on the other end of the pasture if this many strangers were around.

I met new people and made friends. They were wonderful people. A very rewarding experience.

moral of the story is you left about 600 bucks on the table
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 pm

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Saturday, I listed my 8 month old HPF Optimizer Bull on Craigslist Lexington. He sold in less than 30 minutes.

moral of the story is you left about 600 bucks on the table

Darren said the same thing. But that much chrome is hard to sell. It just so happens it was exactly what they wanted.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Make sure you pay your check off dollars.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed May 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Glad you had a good quick sale! Congratulations.

Tim
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:13 pm

I wasn't trying to be a smart azz its the truth. now you can be as happy as a clam with what you got but next time you'll know start a little higher. Think about how many more bags of cow treats 600 would buy
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Wed May 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Congrats Ron! Don't let the dog eat those greenbacks.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 pm

M-5 wrote:I wasn't trying to be a smart azz its the truth. now you can be as happy as a clam with what you got but next time you'll know start a little higher. Think about how many more bags of cow treats 600 would buy

I coordinate with Fire Sweep on everything I do. She is selling one of my bulls out there this fall and two or more of my heifers. She thought it might be hard to sell that much chrome in a sale. She thought Craigslist would reach a broader market and hit those people who might be looking for Chrome. I listed at the price she suggested.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 pm

I like this better than the post a calf picture thread. Post a picture of your stack.

Not my stack
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 pm

[
Darren said the same thing. But that much chrome is hard to sell. It just so happens it was exactly what they wanted

I'd say that would be correct.

I'd say you did good.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I am going to speak out here, but M-5 your full of CRAP!
He just sold an 7 month old bull calf, NO GUARANTEES, for $1800. He has no more expenses in that bugger. Feed him until he is breeding age (12 months is when we sell them over here) and you will have another $300 into him easy! Plus the expense of BSE at time of sale. Plus he could die. Plus he has too much white for 99% of the people out there. Plus, plus plus... The bull market is so soft right now, I am watching 18 MONTH OLD BULLS not selling for $2000!!!!!!! The bull had what the guy was looking for (lots of white to run on his Angus cows so his granddaughter can get some white faced babies), it was sure chance that he looked just minutes after Ron posted the ad!
Great sale Ron. Glad I told you to call the guy back and that it WAS NOT likely a scam??? You were going to ignore the initial contact he had with you because you were so sure it was a scam for money! lol, teach you to trust Craigslist (and me) a little more....
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:I am going to speak out here, but M-5 your full of CRAP!
He just sold an 7 month old bull calf, NO GUARANTEES, for $1800. He has no more expenses in that bugger. Feed him until he is breeding age (12 months is when we sell them over here) and you will have another $300 into him easy! Plus the expense of BSE at time of sale. Plus he could die. Plus he has too much white for 99% of the people out there. Plus, plus plus... The bull market is so soft right now, I am watching 18 MONTH OLD BULLS not selling for $2000!!!!!!! The bull had what the guy was looking for (lots of white to run on his Angus cows so his granddaughter can get some white faced babies), it was sure chance that he looked just minutes after Ron posted the ad!
Great sale Ron. Glad I told you to call the guy back and that it WAS NOT likely a scam??? You were going to ignore the initial contact he had with you because you were so sure it was a scam for money! lol, teach you to trust Craigslist (and me) a little more....

You sure didn't major in business. I think Ron did great, but he could've done better.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Congrats that is an excellent price for that age calf. We have had good success using Craigs list. I pay our check off once yearly. I have found that works the best for me that way I don't forget one. Nice calf!

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed May 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Great sell Ron! Haters gonna hate
0 x

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 pm

What price do you think that bull should have brought?

Edit: This was a question for True Grit.
Last edited by Hunter on Wed May 24, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”