Corriente Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Corriente Bull

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:27 pm

If any of you fellas know of a good corriente bull in the Alabama / Georgia area for sale, let me know. I'm gonna start raising my own roping stock rather than buying. I bought a load of heifers that were bred and are calving now. I need a bull by July, pickings are kind of slim around here. They are a little hard to find.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby callmefence » Wed May 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:If any of you fellas know of a good corriente bull in the Alabama / Georgia area for sale, let me know. I'm gonna start raising my own roping stock rather than buying. I bought a load of heifers that were bred and are calving now. I need a bull by July, pickings are kind of slim around here. They are a little hard to find.

Good black corriente bulls get passed round here like a cheap date. Real popular for a sleep all night hiefer bull on black cows.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Wed May 24, 2017 4:51 pm

I've got one for sale, but I am not in the Alabama/Georgia area...lol

We roped him and his sisters, I was going to keep him, but decided to move to more of a beef only operation.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri May 26, 2017 2:25 am

Guy around here uses a longhorn bull on corriente cows says it makes better horns but I don't know anything about roping. Don't know if there are any LH bulls over there.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri May 26, 2017 5:12 am

wacocowboy wrote:Guy around here uses a longhorn bull on corriente cows says it makes better horns but I don't know anything about roping. Don't know if there are any LH bulls over there.
roped both for years. The corriente is the ideal roping steer if you can find the original. Even going to the border it is hard to find them anymore. The newer ones have been mainly have some crosses in them and many times it is hit and miss. The same can be said for LH's. You need to know your bloodlines and find the right ones. We had some that was very good and some that were very bad. Some of the best LH's I ever used were some beef type LH's. You had to buy them young. Feed them very little and they would only last a short while until they got too big but they were easy to handle and worked very good.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:31 am

I guess I'm gonna have to look at buying one out of Texas, and try to work out getting him on a load coming this way with a shipper.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri May 26, 2017 8:46 am

Ol' 243 wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to look at buying one out of Texas, and try to work out getting him on a load coming this way with a shipper.

I'm in extreme west Ky. If you want me to put my feelers out I will.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:13 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to look at buying one out of Texas, and try to work out getting him on a load coming this way with a shipper.

Please do, I come up to the Grand Rivers/ Paducah area three times during the summer, I could pick him up easily.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri May 26, 2017 9:21 am

Ol' 243 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:

Please do, I come up to the Grand Rivers/ Paducah area three times during the summer, I could pick him up easily.

I'm extremely close to there.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Fri May 26, 2017 9:29 am

I know a vet and her husband, up around Owensboro, KY who rope, and raise Corrientes. I'll touch base with her.
If she's not got one, she may have a line on one.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks fellas, I'll listen out for ya'll.
0 x

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Fri May 26, 2017 10:42 am

elkwc wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:Guy around here uses a longhorn bull on corriente cows says it makes better horns but I don't know anything about roping. Don't know if there are any LH bulls over there.
roped both for years. The corriente is the ideal roping steer if you can find the original. Even going to the border it is hard to find them anymore. The newer ones have been mainly have some crosses in them and many times it is hit and miss. The same can be said for LH's. You need to know your bloodlines and find the right ones. We had some that was very good and some that were very bad. Some of the best LH's I ever used were some beef type LH's. You had to buy them young. Feed them very little and they would only last a short while until they got too big but they were easy to handle and worked very good.

it is hard to get "real" corriente cattle for sure; I have two heifers(bred to the father--black, supposedly from mexico, of the little bull I decided to sell) that are supposed to be true Corrientes from mexico...we'll see what they calve. Most of my other roping cattle are a mix of corriente and lh, the one's that have more lh do seem to grow too fast, and are not quite as tough as the cattle with more corriente influence.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:11 am

^^^^ agreed, real corriente's are tough little critters. They grow a lot slower, but you can rope em longer and they can live on dirt. A 3/4 corriente and 1/4 LH is a good cross IMO
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:41 am

That is becoming real popular right now. I will be curios how that market pans out. A buddy of mine was trying to get me to go in with him on some also but I passed. I told him selling roping steers is like selling drugs, there is a lot of demand, and even money in the right market... but you got to deal with people who have a drug habit. They would rather show up at your house and smoke or snort you stuff than pay for it.

I could be wrong... it won't be the first time I missed out on a good deal.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Brute 23 wrote:That is becoming real popular right now. I will be curios how that market pans out. A buddy of mine was trying to get me to go in with him on some also but I passed. I told him selling roping steers is like selling drugs, there is a lot of demand, and even money in the right market... but you got to deal with people who have a drug habit. They would rather show up at your house and smoke or snort you stuff than pay for it.

I could be wrong... it won't be the first time I missed out on a good deal.

More head per acre, with less inputs. Fertility issues largely non existent. Majority of what we cull a commercial cow for, doesn't even apply to raising ropers.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”