Corriente Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:That is becoming real popular right now. I will be curios how that market pans out. A buddy of mine was trying to get me to go in with him on some also but I passed. I told him selling roping steers is like selling drugs, there is a lot of demand, and even money in the right market... but you got to deal with people who have a drug habit. They would rather show up at your house and smoke or snort you stuff than pay for it.

I could be wrong... it won't be the first time I missed out on a good deal.


More head per acre, with less inputs. Fertility issues largely non existent. Majority of what we cull a commercial cow for, doesn't even apply to raising ropers.


For sure. My hesitations were all about the market to sell them. Is it the next Emu deal? If you sell them at the auction it's like giving them away.

I know several guys who turned out cows to breed thinking they would do all the good with an Angus bull. They have all gelotten rid of them over time because they were giving the calves away... even with the low inputs.

If you don't get out and work them, market them, etc as ready to go roping steers there is no market.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2564
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am
Location: Palmyra, TN

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby TN Cattle Man » Fri May 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Check out The Cattle Range... they typically have some listed.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Wedowee, Al

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Brute 23 wrote:If you don't get out and work them, market them, etc as ready to go roping steers there is no market.


Yep, nail on the head.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Wedowee, Al

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Don't get talked into leasing them either.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby elkwc » Fri May 26, 2017 9:43 pm

I bought steers from the border for several years. I never had any trouble selling them. 90% were too friends. Never lost a single one although many looked terrible
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4981
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Kingfisher » Fri May 26, 2017 9:55 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:Check out The Cattle Range... they typically have some listed.

Yea but I really wonder about that ad. They are there 12 months and I just don't see those cows calving all year long. But hey what do I know. I do think the roping calves biz is hot around the metroplex like allways. Good stock will sell fast.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Muddy » Fri May 26, 2017 10:25 pm

What's difference between Corriente and Mexican? Some​ guy from our area, listed both animals for sale on Facebook.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Muddy » Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm

elkwc wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:Guy around here uses a longhorn bull on corriente cows says it makes better horns but I don't know anything about roping. Don't know if there are any LH bulls over there.
roped both for years. The corriente is the ideal roping steer if you can find the original. Even going to the border it is hard to find them anymore. The newer ones have been mainly have some crosses in them and many times it is hit and miss. The same can be said for LH's. You need to know your bloodlines and find the right ones. We had some that was very good and some that were very bad. Some of the best LH's I ever used were some beef type LH's. You had to buy them young. Feed them very little and they would only last a short while until they got too big but they were easy to handle and worked very good.
You were right on many Corrientes being crossbreds. I've seen lots with Brahman ears and lots with Charolais influence.
0 x

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3132
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby wacocowboy » Sat May 27, 2017 1:04 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:That is becoming real popular right now. I will be curios how that market pans out. A buddy of mine was trying to get me to go in with him on some also but I passed. I told him selling roping steers is like selling drugs, there is a lot of demand, and even money in the right market... but you got to deal with people who have a drug habit. They would rather show up at your house and smoke or snort you stuff than pay for it.

I could be wrong... it won't be the first time I missed out on a good deal.


More head per acre, with less inputs. Fertility issues largely non existent. Majority of what we cull a commercial cow for, doesn't even apply to raising ropers.


For sure. My hesitations were all about the market to sell them. Is it the next Emu deal? If you sell them at the auction it's like giving them away.

I know several guys who turned out cows to breed thinking they would do all the good with an Angus bull. They have all gelotten rid of them over time because they were giving the calves away... even with the low inputs.

If you don't get out and work them, market them, etc as ready to go roping steers there is no market.


I was at the barn awhile back they run 10 of them in good size for roping or so they said. They tried starting them at 70 then came down to 60 kept coming down till got to 30 and someone picked them up and they went back into the 40s. Giving them away is about right.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Contact:

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Lucky_P » Sat May 27, 2017 7:43 am

My roping friend said to watch the Kentucky Roper's Association Facebook page. Some LH/Corriente crosses for sale on there today.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11122
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Bigfoot » Sat May 27, 2017 8:51 am

I saw 2 yesterday, unless your desperate, I'd pass on them. Would look better in 2 months on grass though.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10405
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to look at buying one out of Texas, and try to work out getting him on a load coming this way with a shipper.


I'm in extreme west Ky. If you want me to put my feelers out I will.


You're in Fulton County?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11122
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Bigfoot » Sat May 27, 2017 10:00 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to look at buying one out of Texas, and try to work out getting him on a load coming this way with a shipper.


I'm in extreme west Ky. If you want me to put my feelers out I will.


You're in Fulton County?


No, if the world were to need an enema, it would be inserted in Fulton county. I guess I over exaggerated my westerly direction.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10405
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 am

Bigfoot wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
I'm in extreme west Ky. If you want me to put my feelers out I will.


You're in Fulton County?


No, if the world were to need an enema, it would be inserted in Fulton county. I guess I over exaggerated my westerly direction.


I always figured the hose would go into Shelby Co, TN. Aka Memphis.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Corriente Bull

Postby Son of Butch » Sat May 27, 2017 10:30 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:if the world were to need an enema, it would be inserted in Fulton county.


I always figured the hose would go into Shelby Co, TN. Aka Memphis.

In USA ... Gary, Indiana ... Gary, Indiana .... Gary, Indiana

But the world... In the cave of Muhammad's first revelation located 2 miles from Mecca, Saudi Arabia
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrandX, Google Adsense [Bot], Jeanne - Simme Valley and 11 guests