charolais-speckle park cross

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

jilleroo
Rancher
Rancher

charolais-speckle park cross

Postby jilleroo » Sat May 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi all, We are in outback Queensland, Australia and have a charolais/charbray cow herd. Speckle Park cattle have recently gained a lot of traction over here and we are considering buying some bulls. Does anyone have any photos of what colour cattle we could expect in the progeny? Would they throw a silver grey colour from the white cows? Are they prone to blight? What is their heat tolerance? Charolais have high heat tolerance but angus do not, so I assume they would be similar to angus. Cheers
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: charolais-speckle park cross

Postby Muddy » Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm

They'll throw whites, grey skunktails or smokies.
0 x

OzssieDave19
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OzssieDave19 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:39 am

Im in Victoria and also interesred in speckle park. I have small property and intend to ai blck angus heifers to a speckle bull. I have seen that done before and that cross comes out looking like a speckle. Check out my post my herd. They are char bull on bb heifers i think you will expect that colouring.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 28, 2017 1:37 am

Kathie in Thorp has British Whites, which are a related breed I think.. she might be able to tell you a little more about them.

With the color diluter gene of the Char, I'd expect about what Muddy said for coloration
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:02 am

Jilleroo, if it aint broke don't try and fix it. I can't think of any gain over your beaut charolais cattle that speckle park would give you other than the colour. My neighbour has gone with a speckle park bull for a couple of years now on xbred cows with murray grey origins and a high %age are coming speckled, mostly black I think. He has entered the show steer market and the speckle colouring makes them very marketable in that market.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”