New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Postby jd720 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:44 pm

This is our newest calf only an hour or so old in the picture. He is a Built Right out of a first calf heifer. His dam is out of our herd bull which is a Dream Catcher X Triple C Queens Supreme cow. He is 3/4 Simmy with good genetics behind him but probably too much chrome for most bull buyers. We were hoping for a heifer but that doesn`t always work out. Still I think he`s a pretty nice calf.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Beautiful calf. Built Right is great genetics especially as a cow maker.

Don't despair on the chrome. There are some buyers looking for chrome.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 am

Nice show steer prospect on my farm. A good bull, makes a great steer.
I agree, nice calf & Built Rt makes GREAT cows.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Yep, that's a Built Right calf. Here in Angus country several might love to have him for a bull. I've got a chromed up Simmental bull calf a little girl felt in love with and wants it for a show calf. I just don't know if I want to deal with a show calf. Got to decide here soon, anyway that could be another avenue you could possibly go with him.
0 x

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:28 pm

I will say that unless someone wants him for a show steer we will take our chances and keep him a bull. Maybe try to sell him next year. I really don`t think he needs to go to the sale barn with those genetics in him in my opinion.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Yep, advance the Simmental breed backwards some more. Genetics? Phenotype and traits are what matters, you never know he might be a trend setter for the new Simmental breed.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Well someone must like Built Right genetics or his semen wouldn`t be selling at $150 - $165 a straw at auction so to each his own. It`s really hard to say what a young calf will look like in a year he may not be worth keeping but I`m willing to take a chance but only time will tell.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 pm

jd720 wrote:Well someone must like Built Right genetics or his semen wouldn`t be selling at $150 - $165 a straw at auction so to each his own. It`s really hard to say what a young calf will look like in a year he may not be worth keeping but I`m willing to take a chance but only time will tell.

Price means nothing, a fool and their money is soon departed. I'll ask you the same question I asked Ron, does that animal represent what a Simmental should look like?
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Before you ship him or snip him, let me know. I'm interested in him.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 31, 2017 4:58 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
jd720 wrote:Well someone must like Built Right genetics or his semen wouldn`t be selling at $150 - $165 a straw at auction so to each his own. It`s really hard to say what a young calf will look like in a year he may not be worth keeping but I`m willing to take a chance but only time will tell.

Price means nothing, a fool and their money is soon departed. I'll ask you the same question I asked Ron, does that animal represent what a Simmental should look like?

jd720 should respond and I hope I don't preclude his doing so.

Question for you Grit: what are the negative consequences of jd and I selling our "overly chromed" cattle? I assume you want them castrated to elimate what many breeders consider negative characteristics. I understand that. But "what if" these cattle are going into use in a manner where their genetics are terminated?

You cannot assume that because a person is in possession of registered livestock that he is obligated to follow a set of standards that you have in your mind. BTW: what are those standards?

I am asking you to provide a clear credible response. I am not asking this to "set you off". I want to understand why this issue is so important to you.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed May 31, 2017 5:18 pm

I would like to clarify my previous response. He would make a steer on my farm because I would NOT have a market for him as a bull. Besides, like this year, I had 18 bulls and only kept 5 in tact. So, it would be foolish of me to keep a hard item to sell. Having white legs does not make him a poor Simmental. If you breed white face bulls to white face cows, you are going to end up with extra chrome. It doesn't make them any less quality. As a steer, it makes them more desirable. You have the great muscle, & growth of a Simmental, with flash.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm

A nice calf and I wouldn't let the opinions of a few who think they should be police on what color pattern he should have influence my decision. I would watch him develop and then make my decision. That is what I did with the yearling bull I raised last year and just turned out with a few head this past weekend. He still isn't home safe but feel now he stands a good chance of making a bull that will move our program forward in certain areas. I have culled them even after they were past two y/o. There is never a guarantee how they will turn out but with the good genetics he has he stands a good chance of being something that someone will want. If breeding to PB Angus his color wouldn't bother me.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 31, 2017 6:03 pm

I think a registered animal used for breeding purposes should have the proper traits, phenotype for the breed. At least you have the market cornered, you can call them black Hereford's, Simmental, SimAngus, or Baldies. I do think he'll work good on Angus cows.
What's right is right and that's just how I feel.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I think a registered animal used for breeding purposes should have the proper traits, phenotype for the breed. At least you have the market cornered, you can call them black Hereford's, Simmental, SimAngus, or Baldies. I do think he'll work good on Angus cows.
What's right is right and that's just how I feel.

And what IS the proper traits of the Simmental breed Grit????? You seem to have standards that the breed does not acknowledge. Show me where it says an ideal Simmental should be solid black, or black with a white face? Or even Black??? YOU might put that label on the Simmental breed, but others do not. There are lots of breeders out there that like that extra chrome.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed May 31, 2017 6:45 pm

I just sold 3 straws at auction for $125 a straw! I paid $25 for it when I bought it years ago. Built Right makes fantastic females, but there is a reason why you do not see many bulls out there sired by Built Right. We have had a few, and all got the knife because they would not make good bulls... lacked power. I hope your bull turns out, but do not be disappointed if he does not. We put one Built Right steer in the carcass contest a few years ago, and he did really well.

For what it's worth, we do not cut our bulls until we wean them. I want to see what they turn into before I use the knife.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Return to “Breeds Board”