New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 am

TG - thanks. I don't know about wealth of knowledge, but I do enjoy genetics - it's fun. To the best of my knowledge, there are top Angus breeders still getting a red calf now & then. The calf is registerable in the Red Ang Assn. and can demand high dollars.
I will have to check with Trowbridge & get back to that subject.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:21 am

jd720 wrote:Well here`s the way I see it since we are using the F word ( Fool ). I have had that semen in the tank for years so I did not part with more than $25 so even though as Firesweep pointed out It brings much more I still used it like it was $25 semen because that`s what I paid for it. There is no use keeping it in the tank just to say you have some expensive semen in my opinion. I chose Built Right because of the semen I had in the tank at the time he had the best calving ease EPD when I knew she stuck I was happy.

Hey, I did the same thing. I had 4 straws left, and used one straw on a heifer, who is due in December. I was tickled pink when she stuck, and of course, like you, I am hoping for a heifer (she is sired by Wide Track, and super thick). But I am always looking for a way to make some money, and knowing the current value of it I thought it better to sell it then have it sitting in my tank. I also have Lock n Load, and at $75 a straw, I still use it AI, but only on a cow that I think is having a good heat and likely to stick (and will genetically click with him).
Keep us posted on how the little bull turns out. The chrome will sell him, like with Bright Raven, to the right person.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:"wrath of knowledge?"

Wealth perhaps?

Thanks, TT

Auto correct can be a b*tch at times.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Here is what I was told:
"The Red factor is still there but it should show up on most registration papers but not all. If there is a certain bull you have a question about let me know as I know most of the carriers."
So, in the real world, where most registered Angus breeders are not DNA testing all their cattle, red calves are born. I was pretty sure it was still lurking around, but thought I would check it out.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:28 pm

dun wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like."
That's what makes calving so exciting. I can breed a black cow with a black bull and get a red calf......... Oh wait, so can the American Black Angus!!!!!!

You know better than that. What does homozygous black mean? Is the Red Charlie in Angus?

Not all black angus (registered ones) are homozygous black. As much as they don;t like to admit it, there are still some (rc) red carrier blacks on the books

You are correct. We used to take care of a herd of registered Angus in the summer back in the late 60's and early 70's. Every 3-5 years there would be a red one show up. Also not all Angus are homo polled anymore. We had two registered Angus bulls with scurs and they sure didn't take the horns off of horned cows.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Pretty sure Hetero Black Angus are not rare... But then again black Angus are dirty common than any breeds based on the numbers.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:29 am

I am posting this because it relates to the High Chrome Simmental Niche market. I hauled two bull calves to Fire Sweep Thursday. While visiting, I went to the Lawrence County Fair near Mt. Vernon, MO. I was talking to a simmental breeder who specializes in the High Chrome Simmental market. The Fire Sweep clan is showing a cow and calf pair. The dam, Cookie, was purchased from him. His niche market is high Chrome clubby cattle including high Chrome Simmental bulls. He breeds, for the white face, stocking white feet and white tails. He says he has good demand for these bulls.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:38 am

I guess that shows you - LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:35 pm

When have club cattle ever been accused of helping the industry though. A look thru your junk mail folder should tell you there is a demand for a lot of weird stuff out there.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Here is the pair bright raven was talking about.

The cow just turned two mid May. Her calf is a January Uno Mas, and she is due the first of December to Pays To Dream. Chrome or not, she is one heck of a cow!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:35 pm

That`s a good lookin pair. I still feel that if they`re good then the chrome is just really a matter of opinion you either like it or you don`t.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:22 pm

As I said, I love it (chrome) and that IS a really good cow.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”