New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I think a registered animal used for breeding purposes should have the proper traits, phenotype for the breed. At least you have the market cornered, you can call them black Hereford's, Simmental, SimAngus, or Baldies. I do think he'll work good on Angus cows.
What's right is right and that's just how I feel.

And what IS the proper traits of the Simmental breed Grit????? You seem to have standards that the breed does not acknowledge. Show me where it says an ideal Simmental should be solid black, or black with a white face? Or even Black??? YOU might put that label on the Simmental breed, but others do not. There are lots of breeders out there that like that extra chrome.

Well, Simmental were red - tan with white spots at one time "original" , then more red "Limo", then black "Angus", then black baldie "Hereford" now the Simmental is the most watered down breed out there. The Simmental beed is nothing but a crossbred cow with no uniformity left in it's bloodlines. You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like. To each their own, and that's just the way I see it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:39 pm

What color they posed to be?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:What color they posed to be?

0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 31, 2017 8:00 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I think a registered animal used for breeding purposes should have the proper traits, phenotype for the breed. At least you have the market cornered, you can call them black Hereford's, Simmental, SimAngus, or Baldies. I do think he'll work good on Angus cows.
What's right is right and that's just how I feel.

And what IS the proper traits of the Simmental breed Grit????? You seem to have standards that the breed does not acknowledge. Show me where it says an ideal Simmental should be solid black, or black with a white face? Or even Black??? YOU might put that label on the Simmental breed, but others do not. There are lots of breeders out there that like that extra chrome.

Well, Simmental were red - tan with white spots at one time "original" , then more red "Limo", then black "Angus", then black baldie "Hereford" now the Simmental is the most watered down breed out there. The Simmental beed is nothing but a crossbred cow with no uniformity left in it's bloodlines. You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like. To each their own, and that's just the way I see it.

Then stop telling us what they are suppose to be. Pretty simple Grit.

Your posts are contradictory. You keep whining about the white, now you say they can be anything. I personally don't get concerned about their ancestral history. Most breeds share the same issues.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed May 31, 2017 9:11 pm

Why make Simmentals​ a scapegoat when many breeds did same thing?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed May 31, 2017 9:18 pm

"You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like."
That's what makes calving so exciting. I can breed a black cow with a black bull and get a red calf......... Oh wait, so can the American Black Angus!!!!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 pm

I love the looks of black and white spotted Simmentals.
0 x

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Well here`s the way I see it since we are using the F word ( Fool ). I have had that semen in the tank for years so I did not part with more than $25 so even though as Firesweep pointed out It brings much more I still used it like it was $25 semen because that`s what I paid for it. There is no use keeping it in the tank just to say you have some expensive semen in my opinion. I chose Built Right because of the semen I had in the tank at the time he had the best calving ease EPD when I knew she stuck I was happy. The heifer went 6 days over but had no problems at all calving. I had checked her 2 hours earlier and when I went back out there the calf was almost dry so she had it pretty quick. When I saw a good healthy calf already up and eating and his mother doing a good job taking care of him I was happy. Now what will happen with him as he develops only time will tell. When we talk about foolishness I think I would be a fool to not try to get more than market price for a good calf if he turns out that way. It`s obvious Ron would have been foolish to cut the bull he just sold for $1800 and sold him as a weaned calf for $800 or so and I`m sure he was happy with the extra cash I know I would be. Despite what some will say there is no real right or wrong on the extra chrome. I think everyone has an opinion on the topic but it`s just that an opinion. At this time I`m just happy with a healthy A.I. calf that`s why I shared the picture. If I can get a few extra bucks out of the calf as a bull or show steer I will be even happier in this market every little bit counts and if all it takes is a little more effort that`s what I will do.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like."
That's what makes calving so exciting. I can breed a black cow with a black bull and get a red calf......... Oh wait, so can the American Black Angus!!!!!!

You know better than that. What does homozygous black mean? Is the Red Charlie in Angus?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed May 31, 2017 11:36 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like."

You know better than that. What does homozygous black mean? Is the Red Charlie in Angus?

Not all black angus (registered ones) are homozygous black. As much as they don;t like to admit it, there are still some (rc) red carrier blacks on the books
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:34 am

dun wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Not all black angus (registered ones) are homozygous black. As much as they don;t like to admit it, there are still some (rc) red carrier blacks on the books

:banana: and I thought True Grit knew his genetics!!!!! :banana:
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:56 am

dun wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Dun, I did a Internet search before I made that post because I knew where it was going to go. How many registered black Angus animals are left alive with the red carrier gene? And then what's the chance that two registered black Angus animals could have a red calf? The best I could figure out, is you'd have better odds winning the lottery than having a red calf breeding two registered black Angus animals. And using the Angus DNA data base should increase your odds to almost zero on ever having a red calf out of two registered black Angus. My opinion is, a red calf might be possible but very unlikely using two registered black Angus animals, and if you did happen to it's your fault.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:07 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
dun wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

:banana: and I thought True Grit knew his genetics!!!!! :banana:

Ma'am you know more about genetics than I ever will. You are a wealth of knowledge. And I'm sure glad your back here posting where we can learn some more from you. Thanks
Last edited by True Grit Farms on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:22 am

"wrath of knowledge?"

Wealth perhaps?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:42 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:"wrath of knowledge?"

Wealth perhaps?

Thanks, TT
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”