Corriente black angus cross

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ccjay2012
Beginner
Beginner

Corriente black angus cross

Postby ccjay2012 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:30 am

Hello hope I can get some straight awnsers about this but I have some corriente/black angus calfs and my thought is to breed the heifers (when there old enough) to a bucking bull... Is it worth it to try and get some bucking calves out of these heifers or heck no?
Last edited by ccjay2012 on Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Corriente black angus cross

Postby elkwc » Wed May 31, 2017 5:51 am

I wouldn't but again just MO.
0 x

ccjay2012
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccjay2012 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 am

is there away I can breed them out of the small framed body? I'm new with cattle and the calves were given to me but I don't like the small frame
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed May 31, 2017 12:59 pm

ccjay2012 wrote:is there away I can breed them out of the small framed body? I'm new with cattle and the calves were given to me but I don't like the small frame

It would be easier to just start over with the frame score you'd like.
I have a very limited experience with bucking bulls. It needs to be something you do for personal enjoyment. A limited number work out for rodeo.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:27 pm

ccjay2012 wrote:is there away I can breed them out of the small framed body? I'm new with cattle and the calves were given to me but I don't like the small frame

Charolais bull
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed May 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Yeah, if you want to kill the heifers at calving. A small frame animal is difficult to breed up in size, although it can be done - slowly. You don't breed to a bull that is 4 frames bigger. If they were "given" to you, I cannot imagine they are "seed stock" to start a herd with. Why not raise them up & sell as freezer beef and use that money to purchase what you want?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ccjay2012
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccjay2012 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Yeah, if you want to kill the heifers at calving. A small frame animal is difficult to breed up in size, although it can be done - slowly. You don't breed to a bull that is 4 frames bigger. If they were "given" to you, I cannot imagine they are "seed stock" to start a herd with. Why not raise them up & sell as freezer beef and use that money to purchase what you want?

I raised there mommas they were my wife's dads and he passed and she got the baby calves but there mommas was bred with a decent angus bull last fall so the calves we have now are cross so would they be bigger them then there mommas
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Yeah, if you want to kill the heifers at calving. A small frame animal is difficult to breed up in size, although it can be done - slowly. You don't breed to a bull that is 4 frames bigger. If they were "given" to you, I cannot imagine they are "seed stock" to start a herd with. Why not raise them up & sell as freezer beef and use that money to purchase what you want?

Longhorn Charolais cross is all the rage here.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Apparently they don't have any problems with spitting calves out of Charolais and Belgian Blue bulls.
0 x

ccjay2012
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccjay2012 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:30 pm

Muddy wrote:

Apparently they don't have any problems with spitting calves out of Charolais and Belgian Blue bulls.

So what if I put a charbray or brangus on my corriente/angus heifers would their offsprings have a decent frame or no?
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 pm

ccjay2012 wrote:
Muddy wrote:

So what if I put a charbray or brangus on my corriente/angus heifers would their offsprings have a decent frame or no?

Crossbred bulls + crossbred cows = unpredictable calf crop
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Round and round we got where we land nobody knows. If your dead set on using these calves , and want to make decent cattle go back Angus.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ccjay2012
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccjay2012 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:49 pm

callmefence wrote:Round and round we got where we land nobody knows. If your dead set on using these calves , and want to make decent cattle go back Angus.

I really thought about breeding them back to an angus but would that make the new calves 1/4 corriente 3/4 angus and would i lose the horns?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Pretty sure this thread is a joke fence. Don't waste any more enet space.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed May 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Pretty sure this thread is a joke fence. Don't waste any more enet space.

Bet on who it is.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Breeds Board”