My Project Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

My Project Bull

Postby JWBrahman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Friday at noon. Fed alfalfa hay cubes to keep him from bloating.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Re: My Project Bull

Postby JWBrahman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:16 pm

30 minutes ago
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:26 pm

So what is the back story? Obviously you didn't raise him, because that might be the only brand I recognize (Gardiner). Quite a transformation..
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:41 pm

He is 4 years old. When he was shipped to Louisiana at 16 months he was a beast. I think i posted photos of him arguing that Angus will gain as well as Charolais on F1 cows.

He is a prolific breeder who got used too much this year. He cleaned up two different groups by himself. He is also strong in areas where Gardiners are typically weak, length and spring of rib.

This year's young bulls just didn't have what he has. I didn't let him get in that condition but I know he can pull himself back together quick. He is with me because he is too valuable to lose after someone else made a mistake.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:45 pm

In the "Friday" picture, he sure looks like he had been working hard.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 am

Workinonit, I'm just glad he came here before it was too late.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:10 am

Nesikep , my phone messed up while I was posting the photos. Your reply to the post about rounds and sharps was the inspiration for my post.

Yes, I train all the cattle to pee in buckets.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:29 am

5 days on pasture. Hay cubes for first 72 hours, maybe 20 pounds total. No feed.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:09 am

This is a good post to show the difference between a British breed tail and a Continental breed tail.

This is a Continental breed tail. It is shorter and thicker than the tail on Angus and Hereford.

0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:47 am

He is coming around nicely. I would like to see some of his calves.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:08 am

JWBrahman wrote:This is a good post to show the difference between a British breed tail and a Continental breed tail.

This is a Continental breed tail. It is shorter and thicker than the tail on Angus and Hereford.

JW what does a short tail with a thin switch indicate. I see it on a lot of the current Angus. In fact the calf I saved has one and one of the things I would like to change.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Brute 23 wrote:He is coming around nicely. I would like to see some of his calves.

I would be lying if I said I knew which calves he sired. Last week of March everything is synched and bred AI. The same day they are turned out with a cleanup bull, usually 40 cows to a bull.

Right now he is with the Grey Brahman and Maine Anjou registered cows. So in 9 months I'll have something we know is his.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:31 pm

elkwc wrote:
JWBrahman wrote:This is a good post to show the difference between a British breed tail and a Continental breed tail.

JW what does a short tail with a thin switch indicate. I see it on a lot of the current Angus. In fact the calf I saved has one and one of the things I would like to change.

Lots of reasons they can lose a switch. Diet/fescue. The hair can break when it is caked with mud. That Maine Amjou singed her hair on a burning log, it was long and fluffy before she burned it standing in smoke to get the flies to shoo.

Lotta crazy stuff in the Angus woodpile. You get all kinds of Punnet square permutations generations later. It's tough to find an Angus bull that hits all the checklist stuff in a decent price range. That bull 4015 has the bone, the big nuts, the correct tail, clean topline, masculine head, and he is easy fleshing. He wasn't cheap and he was bought with a bunch at the same time.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 pm

JWBrahman wrote:
elkwc wrote:

Lots of reasons they can lose a switch. Diet/fescue. The hair can break when it is caked with mud. That Maine Amjou singed her hair on a burning log, it was long and fluffy before she burned it standing in smoke to get the flies to shoo.

Lotta crazy stuff in the Angus woodpile. You get all kinds of Punnet square permutations generations later. It's tough to find an Angus bull that hits all the checklist stuff in a decent price range. That bull 4015 has the bone, the big nuts, the correct tail, clean topline, masculine head, and he is easy fleshing. He wasn't cheap and he was bought with a bunch at the same time.

The ones I'm referring to are natural. I've heard different opinions on what it indicates including some MA blood in them. Just wanted to hear your opinion. The calfs sire has that kind of tail and so does the calf. I've seen it is certain bloodlines.

I agree finding an Angus that meets the necessary criteria and still in a decent price range is hard. The main reason I saved my calf. The same can be said about Polled Herefords too many breeders are following the show ring craze.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 pm

10 days on lush pasture. He is starting to get used to the diet and his feces is firming up.
58-59 inches at the hip
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”