Gelbvieh

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Gelbvieh

Postby Hunter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:44 am

Could I get some pros and cons for this breed?

Currently running a black angus bull on Limo X commercial cows w/ a few angus females.
It is always an option to retain some heifers when/if time is right.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Gelbvieh

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 am

there are no cons to it! :P Meaty and moderate framed would be the standout qualities in my books. I got a GV bull by accident when I was in a pinch (other bull quit breeding), and it was the best thing that ever happened for the herd
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

redandblack
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby redandblack » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:32 am

Help a guy with a angus cow herd and gb Bulls. The gb have great disposition, and there calfs grow. Only knock I have heard is every once in awhile you get one that will overproduce milk and get pulled down really bad.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:11 am

The only one con I knows is their occasionally extra skin.
0 x

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 am

I have several Gelbvieh, and Balancer cattle, They can raise some whopper calves. As stated they can have a lot of milk, just choose a bull to compliment your cows.
0 x

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Thank you all.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:11 pm

They add pounds and you still get the keeping kind of heifers. They are normally very docile as others have said. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:13 am

Do any of you have a preference on going with a Gelbvieh bull with Angus crossed cows or other way around?

I did a quick search and found some information but if you have anything to add thanks in advance.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 am

Muddy wrote:The only one con I knows is their occasionally extra skin.

Why is this a problem?
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:03 am

BC wrote:
Muddy wrote:The only one con I knows is their occasionally extra skin.

Why is this a problem?

For commercial people. the buyers don't like to buy that extra weight involved with the extra skin. To me they are starting to clean up quite a bit lately. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 am

Hunter wrote:Do any of you have a preference on going with a Gelbvieh bull with Angus crossed cows or other way around?

I did a quick search and found some information but if you have anything to add thanks in advance.

That's how I make my Balancers Reg. PB black Gelbvieh on Reg. PB Black Angus cows. B&G

0 x

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures and information.
Do the calves come easy for the most part?

B/c I just started and have an angus bull I may look to add some cows/heifers first.
But, I could always sell my current bull.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 am

Hunter wrote:Thanks for sharing the pictures and information.
Do the calves come easy for the most part?

B/c I just started and have an angus bull I may look to add some cows/heifers first.
But, I could always sell my current bull.

Yes they do. They are about like black Angus, there are growth Cow bulls down to sleep all night heifer bulls. You just try to fit the bull to your needs or wants. B&G
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 pm

I helped select one Balancer bull. He is out of a top bred GV bull and a nice big PB Angus cow. The first issue I have is he doesn't have enough frame size and most I've seen doesn't either. Even the PB's I've seen. It could be the bloodlines. All of these are out of what is considered by many to be a top herd in KS. Too much leather is another issue. Growth is ok but not as much as we get from some of our PB Angus. We will be calving the first daughters this fall. I've seen some half sisters to this bull. Most have plenty of milk but some could use better teats. We've been docked some on the calves sired by him. Even out of 1,500-1,600 lb cows they don't have enough frame size. Not sure we will buy another one. I know the two breeders where we got him have a lot of bulls left this year. Have heard the demand for the Balancers and GV's has dropped off. Again it is likely the bloodlines that are available in our area. The sire was a young bull when we selected ours so was hoping his mature frame size and that of his calves would be at least a 5.0 and preferably a 5.5. It didn't happen.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I think the moderate frame size is one of the best parts of them... My cows from my gelbvieh bull grow out to about 1400ish lbs, which I find is about perfect... If you want bigger, go to Shorthorn or Limo... I found the calves from the moderate GV cows are every bit as heavy as the ones from the much bigger SH's
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Breeds Board”