Aubrac bull -- a really big boy

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Aubrac bull -- a really big boy

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:06 pm

As a breed, they are moderately framed, thick dense cattle.

... except ... and only very very rarely ... a greatly outsized animal will arrive and, almost without exception, French bull named Heros will be behind it.

Heros kids, almost without exception, have excellent structure, calm temperaments, and produce elite daughters with the prepotency continuing for generations, etc. He was born in 1992 and the French still seek out his daughters, grand daughters, and great grand daughters. We are fortunate to own (we believe) 100% of the global supply of his semen and have used him in our AI and ET work without hesitation.

We also have, we believe, 100% of the global supply of his 1991-born half brother (same sire, different dam), a bull named Goeland ... who doesn't ever produce these rare huge critters. We've used him in our AI and ST program without hesitating, too.

Well, here is a bull who is a half brother to my herd sire (Zach; FS 4.0 and 2000 lbs) ... same dam, different sires ... and the bull pictured below has Heros as a great great grand sire ... apparently, the size gene skipped several generations. Heros isn't anywhere in my bull's pedigree, fwiw ...

So, this bull (below) is a FS 7 (ish) and tips the scale at 3000 lbs (ish). Perfect feet, testes, and puppy dog gentle. He's four years old.

He'd make someone a beck of a terminal sire. He'd also make awesome replacements if big cows were your thing. His birth weight was 95 lbs, born several hours north of the Canadian border (were calves come much bigger).

0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Aubrac bull -- a really big boy

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Wow, he is massive, though I still have a hard time believing 3000 lbs. The dark front half reminds me of some Tarantaise bulls I've seen (Dylan Biggs had one)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:35 pm

That is one hunk 'o beef! At 3000 lbs I hope he's a gentleman, otherwise you're gonna have some cows with sore or injured backs.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Impressive Bovine.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:42 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:As a breed, they are moderately framed, thick dense cattle.

... except ... and only very very rarely ... a greatly outsized animal will arrive and, almost without exception, French bull named Heros will be behind it.

Heros kids, almost without exception, have excellent structure, calm temperaments, and produce elite daughters with the prepotency continuing for generations, etc. He was born in 1992 and the French still seek out his daughters, grand daughters, and great grand daughters. We are fortunate to own (we believe) 100% of the global supply of his semen and have used him in our AI and ET work without hesitation.

We also have, we believe, 100% of the global supply of his 1991-born half brother (same sire, different dam), a bull named Goeland ... who doesn't ever produce these rare huge critters. We've used him in our AI and ST program without hesitating, too.

Well, here is a bull who is a half brother to my herd sire (Zach; FS 4.0 and 2000 lbs) ... same dam, different sires ... and the bull pictured below has Heros as a great great grand sire ... apparently, the size gene skipped several generations. Heros isn't anywhere in my bull's pedigree, fwiw ...

So, this bull (below) is a FS 7 (ish) and tips the scale at 3000 lbs (ish). Perfect feet, testes, and puppy dog gentle. He's four years old.

He'd make someone a beck of a terminal sire. He'd also make awesome replacements if big cows were your thing. His birth weight was 95 lbs, born several hours north of the Canadian border (were calves come much bigger).

Very masculine. You like double muscling?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Definitely different strokes for different folks.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

RanchMan90 ... double muscling? How so?
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 pm

I like him.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 pm

I like him, but I do see one thing fault that may just be the pictures. He looks to be a bit small in the cods
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:27 pm

houstoncutter wrote:I like him, but I do see one thing fault that may just be the pictures. He looks to be a bit small in the cods

1 -- no close up pictures of his cods are available ... he's a modest sorta guy.
2 -- grass only; no fattening ration
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:RanchMan90 ... double muscling? How so?

The hindquarters. That's a trait of that breed? If you don't have double muscling more power to them.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 pm

houstoncutter wrote:I like him, but I do see one thing fault that may just be the pictures. He looks to be a bit small in the cods

You mean this bull has never been taped at his BSE?? If thats true, I would be finding another vet, asap!
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”