Angus in Texas

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Angus in Texas

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:04 pm

Kingfisher wrote:Y'all be nice....we having a dance Friday and it's going to be hot out....

Needs to be noted for accuracy I actually have 23 now.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:57 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Looks like Herefords enjoy water as much as Angus do. Maybe it's the water that makes their steaks vastly superior to other lesser breeds?

I don't want to get into this scuffle...but I have both Herefords and Angus cattle. There is NO doubt that the Herefords do better in the heat. It is like night and day...at least here. The Angus have had a very tough time this summer and spend a lot of time in the water or shade. The Herefords will spend time in the water and shade, but they also spend quite a bit more time in the pasture grazing. Just what is happening here. I'm just small time, but these are my observations. Thanks.

Tim
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:12 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Looks like Herefords enjoy water as much as Angus do. Maybe it's the water that makes their steaks vastly superior to other lesser breeds?

I don't want to get into this scuffle...but I have both Herefords and Angus cattle. There is NO doubt that the Herefords do better in the heat. It is like night and day...at least here. The Angus have had a very tough time this summer and spend a lot of time in the water or shade. The Herefords will spend time in the water and shade, but they also spend quite a bit more time in the pasture grazing. Just what is happening here. I'm just small time, but these are my observations. Thanks.

Tim

Tim that is exactly why the next bull bought here will be Brangus.
My current Angus is a great bull for a terminal operation throwing Black crossbred calves that mash the scales.
He suffers horribly here in the summer and spends the majority of his time at the creek or stock tank. Infuse some Brahman in his calves they never check up in this heat. Just sold these a couple weeks ago.

0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:

Tim

My current Angus is a great bull for a terminal operation throwing Black crossbred calves that mash the scales.
He suffers horribly here in the summer and spends the majority of his time at the creek or stock tank. Infuse some Brahman in his calves they never check up in this heat. Just sold these a couple weeks ago.

That is my plan too Caustic. I am pretty sure my next bull is going to be a Brangus. Cattle are tough beasts...but boy I am feeling poorly watching my bull suffer this summer!!!
0 x

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:31 am

My place on a hot day looks like segregation is still in effect because the blacks are in the pond and the shade beside it and the reds are in the pastures.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:48 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:All 20? Wow! You're big time.

True but it's 20 more than you.

Wrong again old timer.

I find it rather humourous that your "herd" is made up of a cross bred cow involving Herefords and you cover them with an Angus yet you shill for Brahmans while not having the conviction to actually own one.

To each his own I suppose, carry on.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:50 am

Post Oak wrote:My place on a hot day looks like segregation is still in effect because the blacks are in the pond and the shade beside it and the reds are in the pastures.

I observe no difference between the two as the picture I posted demonstrates.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:54 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:

Tim

That is my plan too Caustic. I am pretty sure my next bull is going to be a Brangus. Cattle are tough beasts...but boy I am feeling poorly watching my bull suffer this summer!!!

That's a bull issue not a breed issue Tim.

Are many folks running Brangus in your area? Have you talked to your sale barn about how buyers will react to some ear on your calves? I know I'd get hammered in my market which doesn't mean it's a bad idea but just like real estate it's all about location, location, location.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 am

So you have bought some of your own?
Anyone running a straight bred cow other than in a seedstock operation is a fool for giving up free pounds.
I run Certified cows
THE F-1 PROGRAM IS SET UP INTO TWO DIVISIONS
GOLDEN CERTIFIED F-1 – a female that is the progeny of two registered parents.

CERTIFIED F-1 -the program in which the sire must be registered and the dam is a qualified cow, a purebred cow whose physical characteristics have been inspected by an ABBA representative.

The program permits the use of registered Brahman bulls on registered or qualified, purebred non-registered cows of other breeds or registered bulls of other breeds on registered or qualified, purebred non-registered Brahman cows. Either system provides the same end result: an F-1 Brahman hybrid: 1/2 Brahman x 1/2 Bos Taurus breed.

Any user of registered or purebred non-registered cattle may enroll in the ABBA F-1 Certification Program. Members will receive membership mailings, will be listed in the member search on the ABBA website, will be informed about the progress of the breed, be eligible for special premiums and allowed to participate in the National F-1 Sale. Members of the ABBA also must enroll in the F-1 Program in order to participate.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:04 am

Caustic Burno wrote:So you have bought some of your own?
Anyone running a straight bred cow other than in a seedstock operation is a fool for giving up free pounds.
I run Certified cows
THE F-1 PROGRAM IS SET UP INTO TWO DIVISIONS
GOLDEN CERTIFIED F-1 – a female that is the progeny of two registered parents.

CERTIFIED F-1 -the program in which the sire must be registered and the dam is a qualified cow, a purebred cow whose physical characteristics have been inspected by an ABBA representative.

The program permits the use of registered Brahman bulls on registered or qualified, purebred non-registered cows of other breeds or registered bulls of other breeds on registered or qualified, purebred non-registered Brahman cows. Either system provides the same end result: an F-1 Brahman hybrid: 1/2 Brahman x 1/2 Bos Taurus breed.

Any user of registered or purebred non-registered cattle may enroll in the ABBA F-1 Certification Program. Members will receive membership mailings, will be listed in the member search on the ABBA website, will be informed about the progress of the breed, be eligible for special premiums and allowed to participate in the National F-1 Sale. Members of the ABBA also must enroll in the F-1 Program in order to participate.

Yawn
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 am

When you actually own a cow post something useful
Double yawn
Last edited by Caustic Burno on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Post Oak wrote:My place on a hot day looks like segregation is still in effect because the blacks are in the pond and the shade beside it and the reds are in the pastures.

Yeah that picture might have been taken the time of the day that the reds decided to drink.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:11 am

Caustic Burno wrote:When you actually own a cow post something useful
Double yawn

Cows belong to an LLC. You once claimed to know what that meant. I understand age can be hard on one's memory.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:12 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:When you actually own a cow post something useful
Double yawn

Cows belong to an LLC. You once claimed to know what that meant. I understand age can be hard on one's memory.

Memory is fine and it wasn't your LLC
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:13 am

Post Oak wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Yeah that picture might have been taken the time of the day that the reds decided to drink.

All critters gotta drink. Bad thing is that's not a pond. Our front pasture has been holding water all spring and summer. I gotta get that fixed.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”