Angus in Texas

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus in Texas

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:17 am

TT, before you tell every one not to run a Brangus bull have you actually done it? See we have tried straight Angus and Hereford and know first hand it does not work.

I'm ok if your just messing around but if you seriously think there is no difference between black and red you are full of it.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Tim that is exactly why the next bull bought here will be Brangus.
My current Angus is a great bull for a terminal operation throwing Black crossbred calves that mash the scales.
He suffers horribly here in the summer and spends the majority of his time at the creek or stock tank. Infuse some Brahman in his calves they never check up in this heat. Just sold these a couple weeks ago.

That is my plan too Caustic. I am pretty sure my next bull is going to be a Brangus. Cattle are tough beasts...but boy I am feeling poorly watching my bull suffer this summer!!!

That's a bull issue not a breed issue Tim.

Are many folks running Brangus in your area? Have you talked to your sale barn about how buyers will react to some ear on your calves? I know I'd get hammered in my market which doesn't mean it's a bad idea but just like real estate it's all about location, location, location.

I have black cows too and they are suffering...so not just the bull. In my section of NC it is VERY tropical. I'm sure I could find some Angus farther south that may be acclimated...but I do very well selling weaned baldies here. There are a few Brangus breeders in the general area...and you are right too much ear here will be a killer...but I hope to use a brangus bull that is more an angus "look" side of things. Time will tell...I'm small, but I feel it important to raise my commercial herd with cattle that are suited to this area. I really don't have a dog in this fight...I love all cattle and all have their place...But like post oak said, the red cattle really do better in the heat and humidity here.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:When you actually own a cow post something useful
Double yawn

Cows belong to an LLC. You once claimed to know what that meant. I understand age can be hard on one's memory.

Memory is fine and it wasn't your LLC

You've seen the paperwork?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 am

I'd love Dun to chime in if he notices a difference between the red and black angus in his neck of the woods...

Tim
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:21 am

What is hilarious TT is you Angus pimpin in Texas where you don't live and they don't work well.
Check out the title of the thread.

Post oak I tried Angus the milk production went down horribly on the breed in the summer weaning lighter calves.
The only "straight bred " I have seen that it really didn't effect is Chars some breeds were worse than others.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:24 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Cows belong to an LLC. You once claimed to know what that meant. I understand age can be hard on one's memory.

No just remember what you told me
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:25 am

Brute 23 wrote:TT, before you tell every one not to run a Brangus bull have you actually done it? See we have tried straight Angus and Hereford and know first hand it does not work.

I'm ok if your just messing around but if you seriously think there is no difference between black and red you are full of it.

Brahman has its place it the grand scheme of things just not in my area. No such thing as "Certified Bramhan" is there? Reason for that.

I won't argue there is a huge difference in heat tolerance between heat tolerance between Brahman and British breeds just as there is a huge difference in cold tolerance between the two.

If you're claiming red Angus or Hereford handle heat better than the number one breed in the USofA, BA, I respectfully disagree.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:32 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:
That is my plan too Caustic. I am pretty sure my next bull is going to be a Brangus. Cattle are tough beasts...but boy I am feeling poorly watching my bull suffer this summer!!!

That's a bull issue not a breed issue Tim.

Are many folks running Brangus in your area? Have you talked to your sale barn about how buyers will react to some ear on your calves? I know I'd get hammered in my market which doesn't mean it's a bad idea but just like real estate it's all about location, location, location.

I have black cows too and they are suffering...so not just the bull. In my section of NC it is VERY tropical. I'm sure I could find some Angus farther south that may be acclimated...but I do very well selling weaned baldies here. There are a few Brangus breeders in the general area...and you are right too much ear here will be a killer...but I hope to use a brangus bull that is more an angus "look" side of things. Time will tell...I'm small, but I feel it important to raise my commercial herd with cattle that are suited to this area. I really don't have a dog in this fight...I love all cattle and all have their place...But like post oak said, the red cattle really do better in the heat and humidity here.

You mean red Angus vs. BA? That would be the only fair comparison otherwise it's one breed vs. another.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:33 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Does your wife own half of everything you've got?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:34 am

So 58% of the cattle in the USA are BA
no way,maybe influenced.
Haven't seen in data on that, Brahman influenced make up 42% of the US herd.

http://www.bifconference.com/bif2012/su ... onment.htm

You should read this on feed efficiency

https://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Elzo%20et% ... CATTLE.pdf
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:39 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

No everything.
Come down off your high horse because you married into the cattle business.
That is fine and I am proud for you.
You still have not walked the same path on the journey that many of us have of starting out with nothing and building from the ground up.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:40 am

Caustic Burno wrote:So 58% of the cattle in the USA are BA
no way,maybe influenced.
Haven't seen in data on that, Brahman influenced make up 42% of the US herd.

http://www.bifconference.com/bif2012/su ... onment.htm

You should read this on feed efficiency

https://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Elzo%20et% ... CATTLE.pdf

Notice you said Brahman influenced. Nobody wants an over abundance of straight Brahman. Thank you for your excellent research supporting my position.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:41 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:TT, before you tell every one not to run a Brangus bull have you actually done it? See we have tried straight Angus and Hereford and know first hand it does not work.

Brahman has its place it the grand scheme of things just not in my area. No such thing as "Certified Bramhan" is there? Reason for that.

I won't argue there is a huge difference in heat tolerance between heat tolerance between Brahman and British breeds just as there is a huge difference in cold tolerance between the two.

If you're claiming red Angus or Hereford handle heat better than the number one breed in the USofA, BA, I respectfully disagree.

You didn't answer the question.

I think in the next 5-10 years you are going to see a huge shift in the opinions of people on Brahman cattle. The associations are spending a lot of money to prove they will grade and adapt the breed if necessary.

I don't care what the breed is... if you line up continental cattle... the black cattle will not tolerate the heat like the reds, and the reds will not take the heat like the whites. That's first hand also.

I'm trying to head completely away from black cattle unless they are terminal. If I decide to put an Angus bull across our Brahman cattle it will be a red angus.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:No just remember what you told me

No everything.
Come down off your high horse because you married into the cattle business.
That is fine and I am proud for you.
You still have not walked the same path on the journey that many of us have of starting out with nothing and building from the ground up.

Hahaha, high horse over some cows? That's such a small fraction of what I do it barely registers other than time consumption. We have doubled our numbers since 2011 when I got involved so that's kinda cool. My father in law would have said "uncalled for" had he lived to see it. Cattle were strictly for the ag excemption and tax deductions to him. He was in the lumber and hardware business.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:46 am

TT As hard as it is for you to grasp the least wanted breed in this state is Angus

Brute you may be the wisest young man on this board for your environment.
I screwed up a couple of times and strayed from the girls I started the dance with.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Breeds Board”