Page 1 of 2

Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 pm
by WalnutCrest

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 pm
by Nesikep
hhahaha, "Increase the genetic diversity"... and they want Herefords...

Do they have any slaughter facilities there? That is probably a bigger hurdle than importing bulls

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 pm
by A.J.
Petercoates87 that posts on here from time to time should look into this. I believe he lives in Newfoundland.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:35 am
by Son of Butch
Only a government agency would call 5 cows a significant building block.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm
by Petercoates87
Hey guys. Yeah I have looked into this. This is the second year they did this tried last year and nope wasn't what they wanted. It ended up going to some dairy on the west coast of the island. But I know some of you find this funny but we actually don't have any beef farmers here. The numbers are 98% of our beef is imported to the island. So the government is trying to push it. My lil farm doesn't fit what they want. Last year in the letter it said stuff like they wanted to compare "traditional" Newfoundland beef to higher pure bred beef. Like I said it went to a dairy. They wanted the farm we to either have a breeding bull or access to ai equipment to do that. And a couple other things. I guess I didn't fit that for them. Would be wicked though 5 free cows!!!

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:45 pm
by Petercoates87
Oh and to answer ur slaughter question no we just have like 12 I think private owned slaughter houses and they r provincally regulated. No feds. That's cross the island too.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm
by Aaron
I assume The Rock doesn't have government-backed feeder and breeder financing opportunities like most of the country does? That would be a bigger boost to beef production than any 5 free cows.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:29 am
by Petercoates87
Your assuming right. The province will not give grant money toward cattle or breeding stock. I'm only new to the whole running a farm. I have been years helping dad but never doing any of the paperwork n what not. So I have been 3 years applying for grants for land clearing and to help build a barn and I have yet to receive a cent.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:55 am
by Aaron
Petercoates87 wrote:Your assuming right. The province will not give grant money toward cattle or breeding stock. I'm only new to the whole running a farm. I have been years helping dad but never doing any of the paperwork n what not. So I have been 3 years applying for grants for land clearing and to help build a barn and I have yet to receive a cent.


It's not grant money for cattle. Government just agrees to back cattle co-op in writing so lenders aren't nervous lending to those individuals with no experience or collateral. It is a major contributor to herd growth and expansion in a large part of the provinces.

http://www.ontariobeef.com/programs/breeder-cooperative-program.aspx

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:45 am
by Petercoates87
Ok got ya. So it's a loan I'm guessing with no interest? Seems right on. But no we got nothing like that here. Ahh I'm told TD bank does an interest free loan for farmers but that's all I know about.
It's silly to be honest this whole thing. The rest of North America has a wonderful beef industry and what's here doesn't even exist. It's not like it can't be done we have a very healthy dairy industry. So if we can have an excess of milk we should be able to raise beef right?

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:28 am
by Bestoutwest
Petercoates87 wrote:Oh and to answer ur slaughter question no we just have like 12 I think private owned slaughter houses and they r provincally regulated. No feds. That's cross the island too.


What do you guys do for hay out there? I'm assuming 1 cutting, but do you have to import a lot of it or are there any hay fields?

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am
by Petercoates87
Nope not importing. But with that said some guys import some. An issue that's happening now is there isn't much farmland and developers are putting houses on it. We can manage to get 2 cuts usually one good n the second is a bit shorter. I don't think we can grow alfalfa here. Oats and Timothy n clover are what's used.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:57 am
by Bestoutwest
Petercoates87 wrote:Nope not importing. But with that said some guys import some. An issue that's happening now is there isn't much farmland and developers are putting houses on it. We can manage to get 2 cuts usually one good n the second is a bit shorter. I don't think we can grow alfalfa here. Oats and Timothy n clover are what's used.


Interesting. We have a big problem here, too, with people buying up the farmland for developments. We're losing a lot, and you can't buy anything unless you win the lottery.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:34 pm
by Aaron
Petercoates87 wrote:Ok got ya. So it's a loan I'm guessing with no interest? Seems right on. But no we got nothing like that here. Ahh I'm told TD bank does an interest free loan for farmers but that's all I know about.
It's silly to be honest this whole thing. The rest of North America has a wonderful beef industry and what's here doesn't even exist. It's not like it can't be done we have a very healthy dairy industry. So if we can have an excess of milk we should be able to raise beef right?


Loan through FCC with low interest - basically prime.

Re: Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 pm
by Stocker Steve
Son of Butch wrote:Only a government agency would call 5 cows a significant building block.


Herefords are extremely fertile, :nod:

and just think of the heavy milking bwf replacements after they have generate enough bulls to cover herds of steins. :cboy: