New purchase

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Re: New purchase

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Looks like that big Limo bull likes her too. :)
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Love the blue roans. I do not see any dairy in her!!! She sure doesn't need any extra feed. LOL

:) We'd keep her already with cows and off meal, but our herd is very close to her old herd, so she might come back home. Better safe than sorry.
I hope she'll have some roan calves ! Our roan cows rarely have calves with more white than a small dot or abit on the belly. The same breeding heifer has calved last month with Limox solid red calf. Not even a single white hair...
LimoxBBxdairy cross often don't show having dairy at all, except you can see in their milkness, if sires haven't docked down it. At the moment have two our the same breeding females- 1st calver and her 17mo full sister. Wish we had more, but only one BBxdairy cow is left and she's already 11years old.
Two examples with our LimoxBBxdairy cross animals.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 am

Kingfisher wrote:Looks like that big Limo bull likes her too. :)

Definitely! She was inheat that day. :)
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:59 am

They all have more muscle than I prefer in my females, but I could live with the two roan ones. The solid black is waaayyyy too muscled for me, even if it was a bull.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:They all have more muscle than I prefer in my females, but I could live with the two roan ones. The solid black is waaayyyy too muscled for me, even if it was a bull.

I'm with you,on the females..but I wouldn't mind using a bull, muscled up like him...for some terminals...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:44 pm

For us more muscles is just an advantage. However, they better calve okay, or will be culled just like others. We get maybe one or max two more extreme heifers every year for the past few years. Gonna have four of them calving next year for the 1st time. We plan to AI some Charx and Limox cows with Belgian Blue next spring, so hopefully will get some good roan replacements. I like more muscled cattle. Plus we get paid more for them, than average. However, try to have as many cows as possible calving without our assistance. This year had to help for 5 out of 40+ calvings. Two were heifers (104lbs bull calves), one breach, one time twins were coming together and one time the calf was too big for a small 2nd calver(119lbs).

You probably would like this sister more:
The same breeding, just she was born much slimmer than her sister, and is less muscled.

The black boy had 117lbs birth weight, so I'd rather avoid him using in our herd. Our cows tend to have bigger calves, so better stick with lighter BW bulls.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Shows more British breeding,Looks like she's a good milker too....
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:17 am

She is fun to look at. I wouldn't mind having her in my pasture. Congratulations.
0 x

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Davemk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:02 am

lithuanian farmer wrote:For us more muscles is just an advantage. However, they better calve okay, or will be culled just like others.

Somebody has to say it. "More muscles" in your cows and heifers are NOT an advantage. I understand your need for muscled cattle but your cows are to extreme.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:25 am

Davemk wrote:
lithuanian farmer wrote:For us more muscles is just an advantage. However, they better calve okay, or will be culled just like others.

Somebody has to say it. "More muscles" in your cows and heifers are NOT an advantage. I understand your need for muscled cattle but your cows are to extreme.

I think they understand their market pretty well...and are doing a fine job. They are not too extreme.

Tim
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 am

deleted...
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 am

Davemk wrote:

Believe me, our cows are way far from extreme. We don't have any double muscled cows at the moment. Going to have the first DM heifers calving next year. However, everybody has their own standarts and market needs. Here we have muscularity grades of carcass: S E U R O P. P- the lowest, very skinny cattle. S is reached by extremely extreme animals. We produce R, U grade animals. Would like to reach E grade with bulls. But to produce E grade bull, you need to have U grade cow.
If we want to get better price, better muscle grade and higher kill-out, needs to either have muscles on cows and a bull, or use an extreme bull. I better have some more meat on cows, use not such extreme bull and get good muscular commercial calves, than using an extreme bull on plain cows.
In my opinion too extreme is when an animal can't move properly, gets tired quickly, can't calve naturally, also doesn't look healthy-well proportioned, such as very tiny slim legs and a huge muscular body. Can see many such animals in Belgium, France mainly. They push their animals with feed, Belgium Blue cows don't calve naturally and are often fattened after the 3rd calf.
I really look up to this commercial farm. Top quality stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rGBkQ1zYhw
3 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Heifer hasn't repeated after her last heat, when she spent a day with our Limo bull, so hoping for a nice calf next year in June. Fingers crossed!
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Davemk wrote:

I've seen few extreme double muscled cows but her cows are NOT extreme. Her cows are not double muscled.
1 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Davemk wrote:

I think they understand their market pretty well...and are doing a fine job. They are not too extreme.

Tim

I agree
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”