Brahman question

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

sske
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Brahman question

Postby sske » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:28 pm

BRYANT wrote:Its amazing to read all these post about how she should have done had a calf, most of whom don't know much if any thing about Brahman cattle.
1) Some , not all, Brahman cattle will not breed till 3 yrs. old, but that same cow may have calves till she is 20+ yrs. old. So that 17 yrs. worth of calves.
2)) She has ran with a bull 11 or 12 months, does not sound like he knows for sure just how long she was with a bull. She sure can't have calves if she aint been with a bull. If she is making a bag like he thinks then that's about right. Looking at the picture I think she is bred but couple months out ,just my guess ??
3) ''Yearling bull'' just how old is the bull, was the bull checked, does he even know if the bull is any good ??
4) What about the other cows that was with this bull are they calving ?? if he said I missed it or maybe just give them a free pass their not Brahman.
5) Way to many unknowns for me to say ship the cow, but if you wanted to sell her and was close to me I would be interested.

Thank you for all the responses, the bull was turned out at 14 months with 15 cows, his calves started hitting the ground about a month ago. What do you think a fair price for her would be based on the information I've been able to give.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:28 pm

BRYANT wrote:Its amazing to read all these post about how she should have done had a calf, most of whom don't know much if any thing about Brahman cattle.
1) Some , not all, Brahman cattle will not breed till 3 yrs. old, but that same cow may have calves till she is 20+ yrs. old. So that 17 yrs. worth of calves.
2)) She has ran with a bull 11 or 12 months, does not sound like he knows for sure just how long she was with a bull. She sure can't have calves if she aint been with a bull. If she is making a bag like he thinks then that's about right. Looking at the picture I think she is bred but couple months out ,just my guess ??
3) ''Yearling bull'' just how old is the bull, was the bull checked, does he even know if the bull is any good ??
4) What about the other cows that was with this bull are they calving ?? if he said I missed it or maybe just give them a free pass their not Brahman.
5) Way to many unknowns for me to say ship the cow, but if you wanted to sell her and was close to me I would be interested.
not arguing,, but the quicker you get one in production the better,, especially a Brahman...one like her goes to crap after that first calf and she needs to calve in spring and a 6 in body condition score...why I like the American greys...they are soggy and tend to breed younger..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Around $350.00
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:01 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Around $350.00

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
I'll take a hundred head like her for 350.00
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:31 pm

If she doesn't breed back and has to sell for packer prices your probably looking at 40-50 cents a pound... so ya... $300-500.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:51 am

BRYANT wrote:

Bet he's glad you showed up... :lol:
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 am

You'd make 4-10x that if you sold her in 1lb frozen packages.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:17 am

WalnutCrest wrote:You'd make 4-10x that if you sold her in 1lb frozen packages.

She'd be great for heart patients then,, they ain't a once of fat in her...
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:17 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
BRYANT wrote:

Bet he's glad you showed up... :lol:

what ever, like I said I'll still take a 100 head just like.
Not a pen full of culls that we know wont breed but five year olds that have not been with a bull for the first 4 yrs. of their life. Yes sir, bring them on and I'll have a fat pay check in a few months. and you and every one else know I would. I posted a picture of one that looked almost like her a few days back that I gave a lot more than 350.00 for and she was a money maker. If this cow had been running with a bull from the time she was 1.50 yrs. old it would be a different story. I 'm about done with this one though, unless someone has a 100 head like her for 350.00, seems there is some on here that does not know it takes a male and female to get a baby.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Breeds Board”