1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:22 pm
Location: Frederick, Md

1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 am

Image


She is a March One Eyed Jack out of my best commercial 1/2 blood Sim cow. She is by far my favorite heifer this year.
1 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7651
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:18 pm

She has a beautiful front end. Nice calf. I have not used any One Eyed Jack.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:22 pm
Location: Frederick, Md

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks Jeanne, what I like most about her is her front, and how much depth and rib she has. She also is sound as a cat. I will use him again, she also has an awesome attitude.

Jeanne, you may not remember but me, my young son, and father met you at the Stars and Stripes sale this year.
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm
Location: SE MN

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby Franke » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Nice calf!! What is the cow like?
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7651
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 pm

WinterSpringsFarm wrote:Thanks Jeanne, what I like most about her is her front, and how much depth and rib she has. She also is sound as a cat. I will use him again, she also has an awesome attitude.

Jeanne, you may not remember but me, my young son, and father met you at the Stars and Stripes sale this year.

Hmmm - sorry, I can't remember a father, daughter & grandson meeting. But, don't be offended - my old brain is remembering less & less. Very frustrating!!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2294
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:33 pm

We have ONE one eyed jack calf.... out of 5 straws. Horrible.... worst calf of the fall season last year, dammed by a heifer that was 7th overall in the TX Nationals... I will not use him again. His numbers tanked, and not impressed with most of what I have seen out of him. Just our experience...
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:22 pm
Location: Frederick, Md

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Dam is big ribbed, big bellied, squishy footed and real sound as well.

FSR I've seen a fair amount of calves that are pretty nice out of him. Sucks you didn't have good luck with him. Genetics are funny like that.

Thanks Franke


Image

Image
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:22 pm
Location: Frederick, Md

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
WinterSpringsFarm wrote:Thanks Jeanne, what I like most about her is her front, and how much depth and rib she has. She also is sound as a cat. I will use him again, she also has an awesome attitude.

Jeanne, you may not remember but me, my young son, and father met you at the Stars and Stripes sale this year.

Hmmm - sorry, I can't remember a father, daughter & grandson meeting. But, don't be offended - my old brain is remembering less & less. Very frustrating!!!!



Man! How could someone not remember a early 30s handsome guy such as myself!!!!!! Not offended at all Jeanne. We talked briefly about a couple heifers you had there and we left.
1 x

insurman
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby insurman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:We have ONE one eyed jack calf.... out of 5 straws. Horrible.... worst calf of the fall season last year, dammed by a heifer that was 7th overall in the TX Nationals... I will not use him again. His numbers tanked, and not impressed with most of what I have seen out of him. Just our experience...


And yet Cattle Visions keeps taking out full page ads on him.

Have not been at this that long but I have never seen an EPD profile go south so fast. I just looked and he is in the bottom 5% for CE, bottom 55% for BW and bottom 1% for WW, YW, ADG and MCE. So they come heavy, hard calving and then don't grow.

Hope the OP has better results with his heifer.
1 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:22 pm
Location: Frederick, Md

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 am

She came light and easy IMO, and has grown as well as her pen mates and looks better. Sometimes the numbers aren't all that they are cracked up to be.

He surely hasn't given me a reason to not use him again, and after she sells I just may use him some more. ; )
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2771
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Contact:

Re: 1/2 blood Sim calf pic

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 am

We used OEJ's sire, Long's Shear Pleasure for a couple of breeding seasons... got some really nice heifers that are turning out to be really good cows. I don't remember the LSP steers, but suppose they were good.
I never understood why OEJ came out of the gate at $100/unit - or why someone would pay that for an unproven bull. Even at $50...I'm not seeing anything that'd entice me to use him over any number of other blaze/white-faced Simmental sires.
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests