European Beefmaster Heard growing

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: European Beefmaster Heard growing

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:34 am

Plenty of Brahman influence in the area. I'm not arguing profitability or any thing... Just saying they do exist and live up North.

I predict in the next 10 years you are going to see a shift in how most people view Brahman cattle and the beef they produce.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

Brute 23 wrote: I predict in the next 10 years you are going to see a shift in how most people view Brahman cattle and the beef they produce.

Why? What has changed in their genotype that will make their beef better? A shift towards lean beef? Their lean beef is really not the issue, it’s the lack of tenderness on their beef that is a hard sell and unless there is a serious shift towards Genetic Marker and EPDs for tenderness on the breed I just don’t see this happening.

Now Composites are a different story because they have the genetic resources(from their British/Continental DNA) to breed for tenderness and marbling markers.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57 am

gaurus wrote:
Brute 23 wrote: I predict in the next 10 years you are going to see a shift in how most people view Brahman cattle and the beef they produce.

Why? What has changed in their genotype that will make their beef better? A shift towards lean beef? Their lean beef is really not the issue, it’s the lack of tenderness on their beef that is a hard sell and unless there is a serious shift towards Genetic Marker and EPDs for tenderness on the breed I just don’t see this happening.

Now Composites are a different story because they have the genetic resources(from their British/Continental DNA) to breed for tenderness and marbling markers.

From what I have see some of the larger Brahman breeders are moving toward pushing for feedlot tests and grade tests on the Brahman bulls. Now if you are a purebred breeder they are sending all the bulls off to be fed a graded. They are marketing them to buyers with that info.

I sat thru hours and hours of calves last week. The quality Brahman bull calves were with in .15 of the Char calves, which are to the top sellers, and with in .10 of the solid blacks (#2 sellers). The heifers were over $2. Saw several go for 2.2 or 2.3. Thats a solid dollar or more over their heifer counter parts.

End result, you are still taking more dollars home but marketing and breeding over the next 10 years could really close that gap on the bull calves.

Im not talking about these stringy things people on here want to push as being Brahman cattle... Im talking the modern, American, Brahman cattle.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:13 am

0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 am

When I came to this area I brought a few BMs with me. Good cattle, but they took the winters pretty hard.
The BMs cross British however outgained everything in sight, stayed fat year 'round and sold right with my Chars.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”