Brahman Pics

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Brahman Pics

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 am

With all the talk about Brahman cattle I thought I would post some pics. This is what modern, American, Brahman cattle look like.
Here are a couple calf pics also. They are not perfect by any means but they sell good and don't require much to raise. These are far from Correiente or Longhorn cattle.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Brahman Pics

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Pretty animals. Bos indicus influenced or Bos taurus indicus if you follow the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature.

Its an interesting breed. A member of the Zebu family. I wonder how diverse their genome is? I would guess they got a little bit of everything in them from shorthorn to corriente.

Taken from Reference:
The scientific name of zebu cattle was originally Bos indicus, but they are now more commonly classified within the species Bos taurus as B. t. indicus, together with taurine cattle (B. t. taurus) and the extinct ancestor of both of them, the aurochs (B. t. primigenius).[2] Taurine ("European") cattle are descended from the Eurasian aurochs, while zebu are descended from the Indian aurochs. "Zebu" may be either singular or plural, but "zebus" is also an acceptable plural form. The Spanish name, cebu or cebú, is also present in a few English works.

Thanks for sharing. Pictures are the icing on the cake.
0 x

xbredcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby xbredcattle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:46 pm

good looking cattle & country too !!
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Pretty Brute I am a little jealous.
I like the red ones and F1 as well
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Pretty much what I think of, when I hear Brahman cattle. :P good looking cows,the right type..
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Really nice.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:59 pm

The last pic is a new F1 heifer calf. I liked the pic and thought it would be cool to have a side by side pic of her when she is older.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 am

Looks good over there, Brute. Saw some Longhorn x Shorthorn cattle in Georgia on Facebook that were darn impressive.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:08 am

Man, they are gorgeous! I love seeing pics of them. Some day when I can get to the deep south I want to see a few up close and personal.

Tim
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:11 am

Its hard to explain how much hustle these cattle have compared to even the Brangus or F1 cattle.

They spend a large part of their time in the scendaros grazing. Last week I drove out in the pasture to check on them and they were literally in the brush grazing... not just in the scendaro... in the brush. :)
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 am

Brute 23 wrote:Its hard to explain how much hustle these cattle have compared to even the Brangus or F1 cattle.

They spend a large part of their time in the scendaros grazing. Last week I drove out in the pasture to check on them and they were literally in the brush grazing... not just in the scendaro... in the brush. :)

I would not convert to Brahman where I am in Kentucky, furthermore, I love what I raise but it would be fun to have one to learn their nature. I have seen them on the savannas of Africa, they are interesting cattle. My concern would be their docility.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 am

Very nice cattle. Always love to see Brahman cattle, used to see a few bulls around, but now mainly just Beefmasters and Gerts, and not as many of them, although I hear there are beginning to be a few more in use again. I am the kind of person that gets excited ever time I see a field of cattle, and seeing Brahman is the icing on the cake. Used to love drives in Florida, seeing fields of them. Went to a stockyards once in Webster, FL, not many cattle there that day, but saw a few Brahman crossed cows and a few corriente type cows sell.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:30 am

Brute,

Your picture of the Brahman reminds me of Africa. Looks like the savannas of East and Southern Africa. Some of the pictures of Texas could pass for Africa if you didn't know better. The Eland remind me of Brahman.

0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:39 am

With all that good looking improved pasture my cattle would flourish there. In south Florida, Brahman cows are needed because they can eat palmetto, scrub and sage and raise a calf. We never had grass like that.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am

I agree with you KY hills. :nod:

Having this small herd of Brahmans is nice and we will grow it thru replacements but I would not convert over to all straight Brahmans. I like the other cattle also. They all have their pros and cons. My plan is to use these to produce our own F1s, then put Angus bulls across them to go to sale with. Its very hard to find quality F1s at a reasonable price.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”