Brahman Pics

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Brahman Pics

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:02 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Its hard to explain how much hustle these cattle have compared to even the Brangus or F1 cattle.

They spend a large part of their time in the scendaros grazing. Last week I drove out in the pasture to check on them and they were literally in the brush grazing... not just in the scendaro... in the brush. :)

I would not convert to Brahman where I am in Kentucky, furthermore, I love what I raise but it would be fun to have one to learn their nature. I have seen them on the savannas of Africa, they are interesting cattle. My concern would be their docility.
those were developed in the US, so was the name Brahman...there's different temperaments across the bos indicus breeds...I've been around several different.. The Gyr is dog gentle. Got a head as big as a wash tub, and a body like a longhorn :cowboy:
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:06 am

Image Some crossbred heifers I had in the spring. An impulse buy, but not hard to sell.
1 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:26 am

True Grit Farms wrote:With all that good looking improved pasture my cattle would flourish there. In south Florida, Brahman cows are needed because they can eat palmetto, scrub and sage and raise a calf. We never had grass like that.

That's native pasture but I put herbicide at the top of the list before any thing else. Kenny and other can attest to what this country looks like with out it. We also have really low stocking rates and have had record years for rainfall. Just 3 or 4 weeks ago we had 12"... that helps out a lot. :) When it goes dry, they will earn their keep.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 am

Some Brahman cows.

2 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 am

Prices look a little off in San saba today. F1s bringing similar to feeder heifers.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Prices look a little off in San saba today. F1s bringing similar to feeder heifers.

I wonder what that country look like right now. A lot of stuff West and south of us is burnt up. They are about to be coming to town with cattle if the don't get rain this month.

Do you have the sale report? Looks like that was the place to be. I have room for some good cattle priced right.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Prices look a little off in San saba today. F1s bringing similar to feeder heifers.

I wonder what that country look like right now. A lot of stuff West and south of us is burnt up. They are about to be coming to town with cattle if the don't get rain this month.

Do you have the sale report? Looks like that was the place to be. I have room for some good cattle priced right.

It's live on cattleusa right now
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:37 pm

6mo bred Tiger Heifer $2000... looks like she blew her blk baldie counterparts out of the water... 3N1 blk baldies only $1650.. Angus cows bred to Sim-Angus bulls $1250... Open tiger heifers $1225... bigger tiger heifers $1550

The buyers are definitely buying certain stuff and the others are pretty cheap. Little single black F1 heifer went thru by herself and didn't even bring $1000. I could have turned her out and made money on her. With a little grass and polish she would have been a looker.
0 x

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:31 pm

I love my Brahman bull. This past year about half of my Angus cows were bred to him and the other half to a Hereford. It will be interesting to see what kind of money I get with the Brahman crosses compared to the black baldies at the sale barn. Black baldies are all they want around here. I'm planning on keeping the Brahman/Angus females to grow my herd, although a friend wants all of them and says he will pay significantly higher than market value.
1 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm

AZAggie wrote:I love my Brahman bull. This past year about half of my Angus cows were bred to him and the other half to a Hereford. It will be interesting to see what kind of money I get with the Brahman crosses compared to the black baldies at the sale barn. Black baldies are all they want around here. I'm planning on keeping the Brahman/Angus females to grow my herd, although a friend wants all of them and says he will pay significantly higher than market value.

Let us know back how it turns out. A lot of people express their theories on here but very few of them put any real life numbers behind them.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:49 am

I love my Beefmasters but I miss having straight Brahman cattle.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am

Can Brahmans be run up north? I don't know much about the breed, but it looks like a southern range only breed?

Great looking cattle by the way!
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:35 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Can Brahmans be run up north? I don't know much about the breed, but it looks like a southern range only breed?

IMO no, there composites yes.
They are designed for heat where 80% of the worlds cattle are ran.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Can Brahmans be run up north? I don't know much about the breed, but it looks like a southern range only breed?

The Brahmans and brimmer composites do alright in northern states but they needs some attention during the winters. High maintenance and high input cattle. If you want have some brimmer blood in your herd, try an Ultrablack or Beefmaster Advancer.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:51 am

AZAggie wrote:I love my Brahman bull. This past year about half of my Angus cows were bred to him and the other half to a Hereford. It will be interesting to see what kind of money I get with the Brahman crosses compared to the black baldies at the sale barn. Black baldies are all they want around here. I'm planning on keeping the Brahman/Angus females to grow my herd, although a friend wants all of them and says he will pay significantly higher than market value.

I don't think you will take a hit on them Brahman cross steers as bad as some people on here say you will. IF you will sell them at the right sale but you need to haul them east of OKC or I think you will. I would take them to Ada, Holdenville,Bristow, some of the bigger sales east/southeast of OKC.
just my :2cents: :2cents:
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Breeds Board”