Fleckvieh

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: Fleckvieh

Postby Muddy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:04 pm

cattleman99 wrote:There are a lot of Fleckvieh bulls moving into the Dakotas from Canada. All going into commercial black herds. They have to be non dilutors. The cows you are talking about Muddy are endangered species.

There are a lot of dairy Fleckvieh cows in Wisconsin. They are being used on Holsteins. They are white and yellow and traditional looking. Basically a different breed. Must be what you are talking about. There is a dairy stain of Fleckvieh as well selected for different traits. Basically a different breed all together.

These ain't dairy cows that I am talking about. They are full beef type. Im just saying that there are more traditional Fleckviehs here (my area) than the improved Fleckviehs. But it seems that people preferred black Simmentals over both traditional and improved Fleckviehs anyways.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 pm

I have two ampules on old fleck bulls being stored in Iowa.

It's free to the breeder who wants it.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 pm

You want to see modern Fleckvieh look at transconlivestock.com. There were a couple sales out east on the weekend. Catalogs accessed from their website. Littlecreek farms have their Magnolia Classic catalog up today as well. They are in Mississippi and have a few bulls in the sale coming up.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Base herd here was linebred, sort of haphazardly, toward a Fleckvieh sire, ABR Sir Arnold G809, who was a 5-trait leader (including CED & CEM) back in the day. Used a couple of sons and a full-sib(Arnold's Image).
While almost all the cows here carry some Fleckvieh influence way back, there's oOnly one of those last old Fleck/Angus crosses left in the herd - she's coming 15, I think, but still raising a heck of a calf.

Only thing keeping me from thinking about using a good full Fleck bull is the poor Shr epds most I've seen have. But... nobody's paying me for anything other than pounds across the scale, so maybe I'm wasting my time worrying about tenderness/eating quality of the final product.
0 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:13 pm

I still have some Arnold's Image in the tank. Great cows. His sons lacked performance but they calved easy and had their place. Only problem now is they are mostly light brown with minimal eye pigment.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Every cow we have has fleck in them. In the 90s, our herds were just about 100% fleck, full and mixed. We've been using angus bulls for years to turn them black. Now most of our herd is around 75% angus and 25% fleck.
No way no how would I ever go back to a old school fleck bull. We are pretty good at pulling calves now, lol. I do miss the chrome and colors and heavy weaning weights, but sure don't miss the TCLU syndrome we had with the fleck cows and the giant retarded calves they had..Life is much easier with our smaller angus calves born standing up, with our bigger simangus cows with better udders. Worked out pretty good for us, but took over 20 years to do it.
We also have fleck bull semen stored somewhere...but it would be very old, AI guy may have thrown them out...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

UG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby UG » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:41 am

Jerry Brink in eastern Iowa is a great cattle breeder that raises Fleckviehs. Jerry has a highly successful bull sale each spring, with many bulls going to large commercial operations in Nebraska, South Dakota, etc. A Simmental breeder in Iowa once commented that Jerry's cattle must be good if he can sell horned, red genetics so well. Though Jerry does make a few polled cattle every year, the majority of his herd are horned.

Jerry sells semen on several of his top herd sires. To learn more go to www.brinkgenetics.com.
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:16 am

I think a lot of people on here don't know what Fleckviehs actually are.
They see the color and immediately think '80s or '90s Simmentals.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”