grumble grumble grumble

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

grumble grumble grumble

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 pm

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Three recips didn't take good enough care of their ET calves to keep coyotes (or dogs) from getting them.

Three different recips didn't take good enough care of their tagged 3-4 week old ET calves to keep them from getting taken down and hauled off.

Our fullblood Aubrac cows are batting 100% on raising their fullblood calves ... the recips are batting about 80% on raising their fullblood ET calves. I can't wait to get rid of these recips ... the vet loves them though.

And if I catch these dogs / coyotes / whatever, I'm going to give them a piece of my mind. Those were some spectacularly pricey snacks they ate.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: grumble grumble grumble

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:14 am

ouch, ouch, ouch
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 am

Yep, no mercy on anything that eats my animals!.. That REALLY sucks

What did the 3 "different" recips do, or fail to do? just not enough groceries?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:32 am

I dunno man, 3- 3week old calves. I'd be looking for one of those man coyotes. Gs
3 x
Just call me plumberscrack

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:19 am

Dang Walnut...that really stinks! Do folks out your way run donkeys with the cattle for protection? They do here...supposedly to great effect. My neighbor lost a few calves about 5 years ago and got 2 jack donkeys...they hate dogs...and sure enough...no more losses to coyotes. I sure hope things get better for ya...but I think plumber greg may be on to something...

Tim
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 am

Bad, bad, bad. Any sign of struggle. Bloody ground, etc. At 3 weeks, my calves run like deer and the mommas would have something to say too.
2 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:48 am

Unless you have actually seen it happen don't blame the recips. We have had issues in the past. If they have packed up you could be in for a long fall. Went to check on a cow years ago who was a few days overdue. Drove over the hill in the pasture to find 6 coyotes surrounding her and her calf who was still wet. She was fighting them off from one side while the rest of them were coming in from the other sides. 2 more minutes max and that calf was done. That cow was so worked up I couldn't haul her and her calf home til late in the day. She was running the truck after I scattered them by laying on the horn. She had been my 4-h heifer years before and was the one who would always walk up for a scratch. If you or a neighbor have sheep around that is the source of your problem. Try shooting one and leave it hanging on a tree or somethingto rot.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:05 am

Nesikep wrote:Yep, no mercy on anything that eats my animals!.. That REALLY sucks

What did the 3 "different" recips do, or fail to do? just not enough groceries?

Three recips = no calf past 24 hrs
Three recips = didn't protect their living calf

Six dead ET calves

... adding insult to injury, these were partnership calves ... and I need to make up my partners part of the losses out of the rest of my herd.
Last edited by WalnutCrest on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 am

plumber_greg wrote:I dunno man, 3- 3week old calves. I'd be looking for one of those man coyotes. Gs

Doubtful...but possible.

Back pasture, good gates, thick chains, heavy locks, no sign of tampering.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 am

WalnutCrest wrote: I can't wait to get rid of these recips ... the vet loves them though.

Then I say, let the vet have them!

Sorry to hear about this mess.

As for the 3 week olds, like has been asked, any signs of struggles? There would have to be blood/hair/bones on the ground someplace. People can climb over fences.

Either way, its a bad deal.

As for these animals being a partnership, why would you have to make up for it with the animals you already have? I realize it may sound like a stupid question and may seem like I'm being a wise-a$$, but I'm trying to understand this. Any partnership I had, we were 50-50 and if there was a loss, the partner assumed the loss as I did.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:53 am

One thing to keep in mind Coyotes seldom leave a trace. I lost 7 the first year a neighbor decided to bring in sheep, only found a hind leg of one. No trace of any of the others. I know it was Coyotes though cause I saw one dragging one through the electric fence through a scope and another neighbour who was losing calves and I found a den. Between us we shot 11 that year. If you are finding remains I doubt it's a coyote. Had to stop Spring calving for a decade til the neighbor with the sheep went bankrupt. Sheep left, Coyotes did too. They seldom take calves older than 24 hrs around here. 3 weeks is odd.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:<snip>
As for the 3 week olds, like has been asked, any signs of struggles? There would have to be blood/hair/bones on the ground someplace. People can climb over fences.

Either way, its a bad deal.

Yes it is a bad deal; no sign of struggle.

Workinonit Farm wrote:As for these animals being a partnership, why would you have to make up for it with the animals you already have? I realize it may sound like a stupid question and may seem like I'm being a wise-a$$, but I'm trying to understand this. Any partnership I had, we were 50-50 and if there was a loss, the partner assumed the loss as I did.

Lots of moving parts (not a super simple straightforward 50/50 deal); this is what we agreed to and up to now, all in all, it's been a pretty fair deal for both of us, IMO.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 pm

I would have to get rid of those cows. That's just not acceptable.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Re reading the original post this sure doesn't sound like a coyote. Calves are all too old. You got any Bears or Wolves around? Never been to Kansas so no idea what you have in your area.
3 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:42 pm

cattleman99 wrote:Re reading the original post this sure doesn't sound like a coyote. Calves are all too old. You got any Bears or Wolves around? Never been to Kansas so no idea what you have in your area.

No bears or wolves in KS (that I know of). I'm much further south than Walnut Crest but a local rancher has lost calves to mountain lions. Game Warden told him to look up in the trees, mountain lions will often carry their kill up a tree, and sure enough he did find the remains of some calves. BTW mountain lions will also bury their kill. That said, I still wouldn't completely ignore the suggestion of a 2-legged coyote, especially because of the older calves.

Real sorry about your bad luck, Walnut!
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”