grumble grumble grumble

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Re: grumble grumble grumble

Postby JWBrahman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Sorry you are in this situation. The number of calves disappearing really gives the impression that it's the beast, man. We have stories in the paper every year like yours and It's usually the beast.
1 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 pm

It's a bad deal. Set up some game cameras if you have or better just find an area out of the way and sit and watch. Won't be long before you figure out what is getting them. If it's really coyotes they will come back, once they get a taste they don't stop. Same goes for the two legged kind.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Can't believe that coyotes are getting 3 week old calves. Unless they are very small, even still, they are old enough to be able to run and if there are several mommas in the field, most always some of them will go to defend a calf that is being run or bawling. The last 5 calves out of our first calf heifers have weighed in the 60's so fairly small which I like. But at 2-3 days, they are up and running fast enough that I can't catch them and let one holler and more than one momma will come running. Sounds more like a possible cougar, or a bear carrying them off. But anything is possible. I do think the game camera is a good idea....

Sorry for your loss. We've had a crappy week; one had a dead fetus about 6 months I guess, no hair and she was dead also. Don't know if she had another in her or what. Doesn't matter, dead is dead. Then had one get into the only mucky spot on the place under an old barn, get stuck, had to pull her out and didn't get up and died 3 days later. She was a bought one, had had a dead calf, and was real young and didn't bag up so we dried her up and decided to just breed her with the fall group. Wrong decision.

It's been a not very good start to the fall calving season. Gonna weed out some that we didn't plan to get rid of. Plenty of hay but not going to carry any dead weight this fall and winter. Grass has dried up and maybe rain by next week but it won't bring it back much. Probably won't see any fall regrowth this late in the season now, should've been getting the fall growth this month.
1 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:03 pm

There are rumors of big cat in our neck of the woods. I've not seen any prints, nor have I seen any carcasses in the trees.

I work in town and am not able to go by to check in on the cattle every day ... alas ...

Quite separately, I have a couple of neighbors who are good guys who let me know if they see anything unusual going on ... again, good gates, big chains and sturdy locks ...

Thanks for letting me vent.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 am

It does sound more like cat or human, and it's going to be hard for a cow to protect against either of them... If they're good cows otherwise I don't think it would be imperative to get rid of them.. Though you may be able to get another calf quicker by selling them and buying other cows.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:53 am

I live in SW KS and run a few head in west central OK. I agree with what many have stated. This doesn't sound like a coyote but it could be. They have been bad the last few years in the area where I run mine in OK. One rancher was losing calves in our area and so a few others. He had a gov't trapper come in and let another man call them. Over a 2 month area in a 2 mile square area they got over 40 coyotes. Can't remember the exact number. There were so many they were hungry and when hungry they will try to get animals they normally won't. I heard of calves the age of yours with marks where they attacked them but don't remember any that age that they completely killed but they could have. What they do is catch them laying in the tall grass hiding and several attack them before they get up and running. So it is possible.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:05 am

I may still not understand. Are the calves disappearing?
Is there anything to say they aren't dying from illness? Coyotes are far more likely to clean up dead calves than to be catching and killing three week old calves. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't expect that many.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 am

That is very unusual for you to lost calves to the coyotes, especially at that age. That is why I always check on cows everyday while they are calving. Who knows, it could be two legged predators.
1 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:28 am

Walnut
"Quite separately, I have a couple of neighbors who are good guys who let me know if they see anything unusual going on ... again, good gates, big chains and sturdy locks ..."

From an earlier post: what did you do at your day job today

"Awoke to a text from our neighbor about a gate along the road that was open ... thank goodness all the heifers were still on our farm!"

I would be watching for humans that leave the gates open. Big chains and sturdy locks only keep honest people out!
3 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:18 pm

bbirder wrote:Walnut
"Quite separately, I have a couple of neighbors who are good guys who let me know if they see anything unusual going on ... again, good gates, big chains and sturdy locks ..."

From an earlier post: what did you do at your day job today

"Awoke to a text from our neighbor about a gate along the road that was open ... thank goodness all the heifers were still on our farm!"

I would be watching for humans that leave the gates open. Big chains and sturdy locks only keep honest people out!

It was this text that led me to buy the chains and locks ... and since I've had them, I've not noticed anything unusual going on (except the current issue w/ the missing calves).

But, yes, it's all very good advice. Thanks.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of those calves, terrible. I had just stated in another in another thread about coyotes, that we lost three heifer's calves one year, that ranged from a day to 3-4 days old. I am very certain it was coyotes, we did find the carcasses though. Last year we had about a three month old calf that had a big abrasion on her front flank, she was also sick with some sort of respiratory illness as well, not sure if she was sick and something tried to get her, or she ran and got stressed out causing pneumonia. We brought her up to the barn to treat but lost her. Lots of things can and will happen to them. When we had sheep coyotes were a major problem, eventually put me out of sheep. We lost several lambs and even 3 mature healthy Suffolk ewes. A neighbor even lost a mature Suffolk ram.
We have been worried that bears may be problems, since they have made their way around these parts the last 3-4 years. So far no issues from a bear, other than speeding up the downing of some trees and limbs. Possibly we think a bear may have been the culprit that got a lot of our tomatoes, turkeys could be suspects too though.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:21 pm

So sorry for your trouble.
We have a lot of coyote's and to my knowledge have never lost a calf to them. Although they pretty much ran us out of the sheep business. Me and my uncle killed over 60 in a three month period.
I disagree with a earlier post that coyote's don't leave a trace.
With the exception of very small lambs.
A grown Barbados sheep wieghs about 80 pounds. And we would almost always find remains. If your pasture is big enough that you can't reasonably search it all. I wouldn't rule out that the calves are simply being bedded down out of sight. You can tell of course by looking at the cows to see if they've been nursed. If you can search your entire pasture and can't find any remains. I wouldn't suspect coyote's.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 pm

callmefence wrote:So sorry for your trouble.
We have a lot of coyote's and to my knowledge have never lost a calf to them. Although they pretty much ran us out of the sheep business. Me and my uncle killed over 60 in a three month period.
I disagree with a earlier post that coyote's don't leave a trace.
With the exception of very small lambs.
A grown Barbados sheep wieghs about 80 pounds. And we would almost always find remains. If your pasture is big enough that you can't reasonably search it all. I wouldn't rule out that the calves are simply being bedded down out of sight. You can tell of course by looking at the cows to see if they've been nursed. If you can search your entire pasture and can't find any remains. I wouldn't suspect coyote's.

I agree with you, in that we would always find the remains of a coyote kill too, unless it was a small lamb like you said.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Agreed with above. We usually find remains of coyote kills.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Look up. You'll see the buzzards circling.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”