Some Calf Pictures

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

creekdrive
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Some Calf Pictures

Postby creekdrive » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Had a bit of spare time tonight so thought I'd share some pictures instead of just lurking like I usually do haha
These calves are mostly April born, all out of commercial cows, sired by a tan Charolais bull. This is his first group of calves and so far we're quite pleased. Loving the big wide tops he is throwing. Hopefully the calves are well received by the buyers when they head to the auction in a few weeks.

Red heifer out of a black cow

we did get a couple horned calves from the bull which we'd prefer not to deal with. This guy I thought I pasted but obviously did not get enough paste on to do the job. Still a pretty nice calf though other than the horns.

the other horned steer. Cow is a 4 yr old Gelbvieh x Sim. Hopefully next year I can do a better job at identifying which ones are going to end up with horns and not miss any like what happened with this calf.

same pair, different angle

I can't get a very good picture of this steer, but he is a tank!

another big steer out of a SimAngus cow

a nice tan heifer that will probably get to stay as a replacement. Out of a real good 11 yr old SimAngus cow.

red heifer out of a Angus X Shorthorn (1/8th) cow

tan steer out of a Gelbvieh cross cow

a little younger (May 17) heifer calf out of a black 2nd calver. Depending on what the market does in the next few weeks this one might get to stick around for awhile since she is a rat tail. Watched a sale last week and there was very little dock for rat tail calves so might just sell her.

This last one isn't sired by the Char bull - just a fancy heifer calf that wanted her picture taken too :)

As always thanks for letting me share.
4 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: Some Calf Pictures

Postby Muddy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm

She surely didn't look like a rattail to me. Nice calves!
0 x

creekdrive
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby creekdrive » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Muddy wrote:She surely didn't look like a rattail to me. Nice calves!

If you look close you can see she has less than half the amount of hair on her tail switch compared to the other calves. I've seen a lot worse rat tails, but she's definitely still a rat. If she wasn't she'd have a full tail switch like the grey steer in the 5th picture. She also has the curly/wire-y hair texture of a rat tail. She is a nice enough calf though and it is probably borderline whether they would dock her or not for it. Prices are high right now and not seeing much dock for anything, but if they start coming down that dock will go up.

Another picture of her from behind that shows how little of a switch she has and no, it wasn't frozen or stepped on. :)
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Nice Pictures and Good Stout Calves. Them Dark Red Ones are my Favorite.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 am

:clap: Calves look darn good, I prefer the reds as well.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 am

Nice calves! Any photos of their sire?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:11 am

Very good pictures of nice cattle. All of them look good.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:12 am

Nice looking calves.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

creekdrive
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby creekdrive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks all! My favorites are the red calves too but there is no denying when it comes to selling commercial calves Charolais is usually right up at the top. Our commercial herd is a bit of a mix of everything and using Char bulls should hopefully leave a more uniform group and add a little frame. Char cross calves are in good demand at the auction we sell at, so it makes sense to use them. Hope to buy another Char bull for next year and that should leave us with a good sized group of commercial cows bred Char. The rest of our commercial herd will probably be bred to home raised Angus bulls. We feel it's good to use some of our own bulls on our commercial cows, as it gives us a good feel how the bloodlines we are using will work in a commercial setting which is what matters to our bull customers. It also will leave us the option of choosing commercial replacements from the angus sired groups as we don't intend to keep a lot of the Char heifers.

lithuanian farmer wrote:Nice calves! Any photos of their sire?

I don't have any great pictures of him. He's not a very photogenic animal. He's a decent enough bull but not really special by any means. He does move exceptionally well. One of the most free moving animals I've seen.
A picture of him from this past July. So would be about 28 months or so in this picture.

We tried something a little different last year and kept back a group of purebred heifers to sell as bred heifers. They sell the first part of December and I'm excited, yet nervous. I think they look great, but I'm sure I'm biased.
Some crappy cell phone pictures from the last time we checked their pasture:

the heifer on the right is one I'd really like to keep, but can't keep them all!

I need to get some better pictures of some of our purebred angus calves. There is some very sweet heifers this year. Very pleased with them so far. Planning to keep almost all of the straight angus heifers for now and will decide down the road whether we try the bred heifer thing again or go some other route with them.

Sorry for being so long winded! :oops:
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 pm

I like that heifer on the right in the last picture as well.. That Char does make for some nice meaty backs and butts. Always love seeing the pics!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

uplandnut
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby uplandnut » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:17 pm

As usual, very nice looking calves! I like the heifers as well.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Nice pics and cattle. They would look good in most pastures.
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Great looking set of calves! I really like the red heifer on the far right in the last picture.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am

Those are some very, very nice looking cattle. I especially like the last picture and that group of heifers.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Return to “Breeds Board”