HPF - End of a Legacy

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

HPF - End of a Legacy

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:47 am

November 1, 2017. Hudson Pines Forever Legacy Complete Dispersal.

It was not 'Forever'.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: HPF - End of a Legacy

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 am

What's the reason behind that sale?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am

True Grit Farms wrote:What's the reason behind that sale?

David Rockefeller passed away. He was 102. A very charismatic gentleman. The granddaughter, Miranda, is selling out.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am

She doesn't look like the kind that would be interested in playing with cows.
https://www.google.com/search?q=miranda ... 8855677688
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:She doesn't look like the kind that would be interested in playing with cows.

The history of the farm indicates she has had a longtime involvement. I think she had a great love for the cattle but with the passing of both her grandparents who had a real passion for the Simmental breed (International Reputation, Awarded Golden Book Award, even sold semen to Mikhail Gorbachev), the Legacy will end.
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

I had thought that all the land was being put into a park after he passed. It was in the will I think.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:She doesn't look like the kind that would be interested in playing with cows.

The history of the farm indicates she has had a longtime involvement. I think she had a great love for the cattle but with the passing of both her grandparents who had a real passion for the Simmental breed (International Reputation, Awarded Golden Book Award, even sold semen to Mikhail Gorbachev), the Legacy will end.

All I could find was the grandmother was really into it and died in 1996. You must have better intel than I. I can't imagine what will happen to the property. My guess is that it becomes some sort of uber high-end B&B.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

All I could find was the grandmother was really into it and died in 1996. You must have better intel than I. I can't imagine what will happen to the property. My guess is that it becomes some sort of uber high-end B&B.

Yes. The grandmother, Peggy, began the Simmental operation in 1975. It was her passion. Chan Phillips, who mentored me in beginning my Simmental operation, was very close to the family. He consulted for them and was involved in a partnership. When the partnership broke up, I was able to buy two of the up and coming HP/RP heifers. I wish I had more. Check the brand, you will never see it again:

I doubt the farm will ever sell. It is a treasure. Goes back to Sleepy Hollow fame. In fact, that is what they call the farm.
1 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

Reminds me of when Triple C dispersed. The farm(s) is just a few miles down the road from us. They were a big deal too, but few remember the impact after a decade or so. The majority of that operation became DAMAR Farms, which is also now in dispersal mode. We are literally less than 5 miles down the road from Goodrich Place, and it will be a sad day when that legacy comes to an end too. It really just highlights how rare it is for these operations to span more than one generation in a family.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:29 pm

I feel a lot has to do with show cattle and money. Most of those folks made their money elsewhere, and when you can just buy in, it's a lot different than working your way up and shoveling your own crap.
2 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:33 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I feel a lot has to do with show cattle and money. Most of those folks made their money elsewhere, and when you can just buy in, it's a lot different than working your way up and shoveling your own crap.

Maybe true.... it was literally in the name of the Triple C farm...
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:10 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I feel a lot has to do with show cattle and money. Most of those folks made their money elsewhere, and when you can just buy in, it's a lot different than working your way up and shoveling your own crap.

More nonsense, Vince.  If you assume two breeders both contributed to building a better Simmental (whatever that is) and one shoveled crap along the way and the other hired you or me to shovel the crap for him, who cares?

Isn't it the results that matter?  If David Rockefeller used his wealth to create a better cow, does it matter?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:07 am

Bright Raven wrote:

More nonsense, Vince.  If you assume two breeders both contributed to building a better Simmental (whatever that is) and one shoveled crap along the way and the other hired you or me to shovel the crap for him, who cares?

Isn't it the results that matter?  If David Rockefeller used his wealth to create a better cow, does it matter?

Your wrong again, a family tradition isn't bought it's earnd. Passing the torch to next generation means nothing if everything was givin to them. It's easy to sell out when you have no skin in the game. When you spend your life working for and relying on someone else for a check, you have no legacy to your life.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Your wrong again, a family tradition isn't bought it's earnd. Passing the torch to next generation means nothing if everything w4as givin to them. It's easy to sell out when you have no skin in the game. When you spend your life working for and relying on someone else for a check, you have no legacy to your life.

Well, neither one of us or 99.99 % of the users on CT have to concern ourselves with 'Legacy'.
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 pm

[Well, neither one of us or 99.99 % of the users on CT have to concern ourselves with 'Legacy'.[/quote]

And that's the basic difference between people and human beings. People obsess about what they can get out of life and humans obsess about what they can give to life.

Rockefeller was not Leonardo da Vinci...
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”