Desperate for a bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Desperate for a bull

Postby callmefence » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:09 am

I culled my third bull this year yesterday. A yearling ultrablack that tested out weak. He probably didn't get a fair shake. But with the two older bulls culled in the past few months. I didn't feel he was up for the starting position. Neither did the vet.

There's dozen or so commercial trader cows in my pasture about the same Angus x brangus and Angus x beefmaster. And fifteen pure Hereford all with calves. A few or probably bred but I know a bunch ain't.

I really think I just want a terminal bull for this year. Except for the Hereford group. I would like to out a Brahma bull on them but it's not gonna be doable.
Here's what's being offered this morning. I'm thinking the f1 s and the down the page chars as well as some of the simangus might go cheap enough.
What would y'all think of the braford or char bulls on the Hereford group.

http://www.jordancattle.com/Sale-Subpag ... 26-17.html
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Desperate for a bull

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:19 am

callmefence wrote:I culled my third bull this year yesterday. A yearling ultrablack that tested out weak. He probably didn't get a fair shake. But with the two older bulls culled in the past few months. I didn't feel he was up for the starting position. Neither did the vet.

There's dozen or so commercial trader cows in my pasture about the same Angus x brangus and Angus x beefmaster. And fifteen pure Hereford all with calves. A few or probably bred but I know a bunch ain't.

I really think I just want a terminal bull for this year. Except for the Hereford group. I would like to out a Brahma bull on them but it's not gonna be doable.
Here's what's being offered this morning. I'm thinking the f1 s and the down the page chars as well as some of the simangus might go cheap enough.
What would y'all think of the braford or char bulls on the Hereford group.

http://www.jordancattle.com/Sale-Subpag ... 26-17.html
. The Braford should be good for replacements..the right Charolais will work for both.term and maternal..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:05 am

I'd be more worried about the bulls age than anything else. Did you cull the other bulls for fertility issues as well? You seem to be on good terms with your local vet and sale barn they might be able to hook you up with a good older bull. That way you can have time to find what you really want.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Sale barn here usually has a few bulls around for sale. Not sure what they have now. Not sure I’d want to “waste” a year with a terminal bull on those Herefords if the aren’t already bred.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm

What about a Beefmaster?
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

thommoos
Rancher
Rancher

Postby thommoos » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm

wacocowboy wrote:What about a Beefmaster?

in texas I second that!
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Simangus for maternal, Charolais for terminal :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Fence, I have a Brahman bull you could lease for cheap. I need him out of the pasture for a few months and where I usually put him is being taken up by replacement heifers. If you're interested hollar at me
1 x

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Todd Keeling is selling two Gamechanger bulls Saturday in the Oklahoma brangus sale. 18 months old I bought one from him a few months ago.
That's the one I like better out of the two was considering buying that one when I bought ours.

That's a picture of ours.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:24 am

5S Cattle wrote:Fence, I have a Brahman bull you could lease for cheap. I need him out of the pasture for a few months and where I usually put him is being taken up by replacement heifers. If you're interested hollar at me

Well son of a @#$%
Went to the Jordan bull sale at San Saba. Waa able to get two pretty good checked out coming 2 year old bulls.
Black hided bulls that didn't look like cow's sold pretty high. I'm gonna cut the Hereford cows out this morning and move them and the Bradford bull to lometa.
BUT I tell you what if you need a place to go with that bull. I've got another bunch at lampasas. Dry cows with a few new baby calves.
I could go there with the Bradford
And use your bull. Let me know. If you just need a place to keep him I got a small 60 acre pasture a few miles down the road with good fences. Nothing in there right now. Feel free to call or come by.

Anyways here's the bulls. pasture is rough because there's a lot of cows being held in it for deer season opening. They're being fed plenty good.

2 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 am

You'd better get that Charolais bull under control, they'll be charging him for sexual harassment. I would name him George.

I like him.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:20 am

I like both those bulls. Plenty of length and big ol rumps on 'em too..someone fed 'em right. Nice brockle faced brindle cow you got there too.
Didn't take 'George' long to get down to business did it?
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:51 pm

I like that Char bull.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Breeds Board”