What is this heifer?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What is this heifer?

Postby elkwc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:44 am

Again I don't see anything that indicates much Brahman influence. But maybe those that raise them will. I almost said she could have a little Hereford influence but then changed my mind. So likely you may never know all of the ingrediants.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:15 am

mpassmore85 wrote:The original breeder said the bull was a mix she thought Santa gerdtrudis/Brahman/ misc beef.
Mamma unknown But looked like a brindle Hereford quite thick not refined like this one.

Sounding more like muddys post is dead on.....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 am

'Kinda'..looks like this beefmaster
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am

Gotta simbrah cow,,That would pass for a jersey cross..ugly..but one of my best...kept every heifer out of her..
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:28 am

In the 60s we used the bring a lot of steers from mexico and they were all classified as corriente, then it just meant mongrels from the south. They ranged every where from looking like holstein to jersey maybe some spanish fighting bull (based on thie termperment/behaviour). About the only markings I didn;t see were whitefaces/baldies. About the only thing they all seemed to have in common was they were scrawny and looked like crap with all having black medium to stubby straight horns.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
mpassmore85 wrote:The original breeder said the bull was a mix she thought Santa gerdtrudis/Brahman/ misc beef.
Mamma unknown But looked like a brindle Hereford quite thick not refined like this one.

Sounding more like muddys post is dead on.....

Yeah I've around the rodeo business and lot of horned calves are usually mixed breed. Not lot of registered longhorns or Corrientes out there and last rodeo I went, they have "Corriente" calves with Brahman influence judging on the huge ears on them. Pretty scrawny ones.
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:08 pm

greybeard wrote:'Kinda'..looks like this beefmaster

Beefmaster is a mixed breed that includes Brahman genetics right?
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Guy I bought couple groups of heifers from was a stock contractor for rodeos for team roping mainly super starved thin awful looking making some of the gentlest creatures I’ve ever been around now through. He fed them sawdust and straw so they didn’t grow when I noticed be nice near broke his jaw
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm

mpassmore85 wrote:Guy I bought couple groups of heifers from was a stock contractor for rodeos for team roping mainly super starved thin awful looking making some of the gentlest creatures I’ve ever been around now through. He fed them sawdust and straw so they didn’t grow when I noticed be nice near broke his jaw

The kind that makes the animal activists, activate......
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:50 pm

We started taking care of Mexico cattle in 63 and did for many years. Many were straight corrientes. Over the years I have seen and owned several with bald faces. Some with Herfored type markings. I also took care of several straight Hereford cattle that were crossed during the 60's and 70's. Regardless of breed they were all scrawny when they arrived. They had to be strong or they would of already died. You saw about every mix there was. In the later years in the last group I picked up at the border were 2-3 with a little Char in them. Over the years we took care of several thousand corrientes. Most of these were the true corrientes. The mix also varied a lot by where they came from. From some areas you would see more Brahman influence. That is why we liked the cattle crossed west of El Paso and westbetter than those crossed on down the river near Del Rio. The ones at Rio had more Brahman influence and not as good for roping.
The Beefmaster might be an option. I hadn't thought about that as we don't have any around here.
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 pm

I’d love a whole herd of her and I’d breed to a polled black Simmental for beef or a lighter be Hereford. Or a solid red longhorn for roping etc
She has gained about 700 pounds in 124 days and is only 2 months along
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:19 am

mpassmore85 wrote:
greybeard wrote:'Kinda'..looks like this beefmaster

Beefmaster is a mixed breed that includes Brahman genetics right?

Composite breed.
50% Brahman, 25% Hereford, and 25% Shorthorn
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Breeds Board”