Salorn

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Salorn

Postby mpassmore85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Does anyone know where one could find some registered Salorn cattle from?

In southern Alberta and can’t find anything. Travel don’t matter a ton within 1500 or so miles
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: Salorn

Postby Muddy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:53 pm

mpassmore85 wrote:Does anyone know where one could find some registered Salorn cattle from?

In southern Alberta and can’t find anything. Travel don’t matter a ton within 1500 or so miles

I think they're "extinct" or just disappeared. Lot of old composite breeds are either gone or extremely rare. Why not buy a saler bull and put him on your cows?
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:36 pm

4 generations for proper ratio.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 am

I'd never heard of them. Had to ask Mr. Google. I can't understand why a composite of two relatively unpopular breeds didn't take off.

(Someone told me we're supposed to use purple text to denote sarcasm.)
3 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:51 am

I recently had posted about thinking I had wound up with a couple percentage longhorns, before that I had never thought much about them at all, and knew nothing about them. After reading a lot about them, they probably do have some positive traits, but to me they just aren't something I would want a whole herd of, a few might be ok. As for Saler, I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge about either, but from what I have seen I'm not impressed. I have heard some folks say they are about the worst disposition cattle they have seen. The few that I have had or seen have been finer boned and curly haired which is a no no for me, I like cattle that are at least fairly slick haired. I'm sure there are good ones out there, just commenting on what I have seen.
0 x

crossbredcalves
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby crossbredcalves » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 am

I don't have registered Salorns, but I have been breeding my Longhorn cross cows to a Saler bull for several years. The only better calves I have had out of these cows were out of a Charolais bull. The "Salorn" calves have been good for me. The steers have grown well, and I have 3 heifers I kept back last year to add to the herd this winter. We shall see how they do as cows.
0 x
You don't scare me. I teach.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 am

KYhills, yes, 20 years ago Salers did have bad dispositions.. for some that was a good thing when the cows really had to defend calves from predators, they did it very effectively... I do hear the breed as a whole has gotten much better recently. It's been 20 years since we had a Saler bull. They are finer boned, I don't mind that, I don't eat bone.. and the curly fur I have never noticed at all. SOME of my Saler influenced cows are the most docile I've ever had.
I'd be far more interested in a Gelbvieh/Saler cross.. probably between 1/2-3/4 GV would be good... Gelbvieh would shrink the mature cow size a little, both are meaty, Salers tend to be LONG, with exceptional udders, hooves, milk and calving ability
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 pm

If salers haven't calmed down, you cross that with the LH ability to jump, and you'd have a formidable combination.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Some of the salers that I've dealt with make me cringe whenever I think of them. Evil, evil witches.
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:53 am

I have a good friend that raises top notch Saler cattle. They are as good as the good one from any other breed. I never knew of them before I met him.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”