Replacement heifers

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: Replacement heifers

Postby Muddy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Personally I like Beefmasters better than salers. Most salers I've seen are hatchet azzed.
1 x

andybob
GURU
GURU

Postby andybob » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:49 am

Bonsmara are an excellent composite for standardising a crossbred herd, choose from a herd breeding heifers of the age you require, as they mature between 12 and 18 months depending on the herd, some of the high performance herds have sacrificed early breeding for higher feedlot performance. The Thornbush Bonsmara herd in Alberta are proof they are adaptable to colder climates being based on African Zebu and not Indicus. http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... id=8986914
0 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Nesikep wrote:Salers take a bit of good food and time to really show their potential, but we never had trouble breeding them by 14-15 months.. They are definitely GREAT for calving ease and will usually improve udders and legs

Why did you not go back to a Saler bull?
0 x
Stocker Steve

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 pm

trin wrote:Plan to breed my cross bred cows to get some good replacement heifers. I want them to mature to 1100-1200 lb cows and be tuff cows that can make it without much help. I also would like them to be able to come in heat at 14 months old. My question is would you use Beefmaster, braunvieh, or Saler Semen to produce good replacements.

Any of these 3 breeds will be hard to keep under 1200 lbs.
For a cow that can take care of themselves and raise a good calf Salers'll sure do that.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 am

My Gelbvieh and Balancer heifers are cycling as early as 5 months. We routinely give them a shot of lute when we bangs vaccinate in December
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:48 am

3waycross wrote:My Gelbvieh and Balancer heifers are cycling as early as 5 months. We routinely give them a shot of lute when we bangs vaccinate in December

I second this. We have had gelvieh heifers get bred at 5-6 months. Now everything gets a shot of lute at weaning. I’ve yet to find anything that out preforms my gelvieh and balancer cows.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 am

Tbrake wrote:
3waycross wrote:My Gelbvieh and Balancer heifers are cycling as early as 5 months. We routinely give them a shot of lute when we bangs vaccinate in December

I second this. We have had gelvieh heifers get bred at 5-6 months. Now everything gets a shot of lute at weaning. I’ve yet to find anything that out preforms my gelvieh and balancer cows.

What color are your cows and why are that color? Breed pimps are a must have in every discussion.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Tbrake wrote:

What color are your cows and why are that color? Breed pimps are a must have in every discussion.

Don’t know what this means.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 am

Tbrake wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Tbrake wrote:I second this. We have had gelvieh heifers get bred at 5-6 months. Now everything gets a shot of lute at weaning. I’ve yet to find anything that out preforms my gelvieh and balancer cows.

Are your Gelvieh cows black or bred to have black calves? Or are they brown - red like a Gelbvieh is supposed to look like? A lot of folks breed pimp, and their breed doesn't look anything like what the original breed did back in the day. Black Angus doesn't need any pimping, most breeds are doing it for them.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Black Angus doesn't need any pimping,.most breeds are doing it for them.

No, anyone that has followed the beef industry marketing knows AAA is the cat daddy and inventor of breed pimping.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Tbrake wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:What color are your cows and why are that color? Breed pimps are a must have in every discussion.

Are your Gelvieh cows black or bred to have black calves? Or are they brown - red like a Gelbvieh is supposed to look like? A lot of folks breed pimp, and their breed doesn't look anything like what the original breed did back in the day. Black Angus doesn't need any pimping, most breeds are doing it for them.

I have black and red. Majority being black. Out of my red cows I was getting a lot of red calves with black bulls. Red calves still sold well, but I just prefer black ones.
I really like the little extra butt gelvieh puts on my angus cows. My steers sell near the top every time, and they grow extremely well. Balancer sure seems to preform in my area
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 pm

trin wrote:
Muddy wrote:What's in your crossbred cows?

They are a little everything. Stockyard specials few longhorn cross. Few small 1100 lb cows. Really like Beefmaster just worry about them coming into heat and really would like to keep them at no more then 1200lbs.

If you have Longhorn cross cows, they should produce heifers that will be tough and can take care of themselves with pretty much any common breed you mate them with. I like the Charolais and Longhorn cross. It produces calves that are mostly pale yellow.

By the way, Texas Longhorn heifers are almost always ready to breed before a year old. That should put early maturing genes into whatever cross you decide on.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:10 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Early maturity is a beefmaster trait...the longhorn might knock that in the head though.. you pick the right BM bull...deep,soggy, good boned..will make a good moma maker...don't just run out and grab the first one you see..deal with a good cow man.. That knows what his cattle can do for you...

Texas Longhorns take longer to reach full weight, but the heifers are ready to breed usually before a year old. Some heifers breed as early as nine months old.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am

Bullitt wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Early maturity is a beefmaster trait...the longhorn might knock that in the head though.. you pick the right BM bull...deep,soggy, good boned..will make a good moma maker...don't just run out and grab the first one you see..deal with a good cow man.. That knows what his cattle can do for you...

Texas Longhorns take longer to reach full weight, but the heifers are ready to breed usually before a year old. Some heifers breed as early as nine months old.
do you raise Longhorn???
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

do you raise Longhorn???

Do you breed them at 9 months?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeds Board”