Terminal or Maternal

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

rain dance
Cowhand
Cowhand

Terminal or Maternal

Postby rain dance » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Not sure which section this should go in so here it goes. I am at the point where i need to make a decision on which way to go as far as what to breed for and if I should buy replacement heifers or make my own. 2/3 of my herd is black angus with the rest being some baldies and then some oddballs. I subscribe to the way of thinking of raising easy fleshing cattle focusing on maternal traits. I really like the pinebank angus influenced cattle and would like to ai to them and improve my genetics.

That said after seeing what cross breeding can do I wonder if I would be farther ahead to just get a char bull and then buy all black baldie replacement heifers in the future and take advantage of the cross breeding and making things a lot easier on myself. I would have much larger groups of calves to sell by not keeping any back and they would be much heavier and probably sell better. The larger groups of calves sell much better obviously and the char influenced sell well here and then there is the hetoris advantage in health and weaning weight as well as more growth for the feeder. It seems much more straightforward and easier to do this.

If i could actually buy the style of replacement heifers for a good price that I want this is what I would do. However most people think maternal means milks well. Being a easy keeper and having longevity and fertility are worth giving up for a extra 20 lbs of weaning weight in alot of peoples minds. So I would probably just put in a order for someone to find me some blakck baldies that where sold as feeders and I get what I get.

Thoughts?
1 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Re: Terminal or Maternal

Postby Lazy M » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 am

Struggled with this myself. My solution is that I ai a portion of my cows to maternal oriented bulls and purchase terminal type bulls for the rest of my cattle and clean up. I only keep replacements from the ai.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am

As I've thought on this, here's my answer ...

AI the cows and heifers to the bull or bulls you want them have a terminal cleanup bull.

In other words, I agree with Lazy M.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 am

One fella's terminal is another fella's maternal.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Silver wrote:One fella's terminal is another fella's maternal.
lota truth right there...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:39 pm

I think flexibility as to where we are in the cattle cycle would probably be the most profitable strategy.
Right now buying bred replacements and breeding everything terminal would seem to be the way to go.
I expect that to change in a couple of years and at that time Lazy M's advice would probably work best.
1 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Honestly, if I didn't believe that I have the genetics on hand to make a better cow than what my neighbors are making I'd buy running age cows and breed them all terminal and never look back.
2 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Son of Butch wrote:I think flexibility as to where we are in the cattle cycle would probably be the most profitable strategy.
Right now buying bred replacements and breeding everything terminal would seem to be the way to go.
I expect that to change in a couple of years and at that time Lazy M's advice would probably work best.

Never had good luck buying breds. No one is going to sell you their top cattle, and if they will they'll make it hurt your wallet. Not bragging but I believe I can grow a better cow than I can buy.
5 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Lazy M wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:I think flexibility as to where we are in the cattle cycle would probably be the most profitable strategy.

Never had good luck buying breds. No one is going to sell you their top cattle, and if they will they'll make it hurt your wallet. Not bragging but I believe I can grow a better cow than I can buy.

I agree 100%. We have been retaining heifers and have way less cull rate on them. We did buy a few top Hereford open heifers from a local PB breeder last year and will likely buy a few more this year. The other advantage I like about breeding the heifers ourself is we can control what they are bred too. We used one of those sleep all night heifer bulls last year and glad we only bred 5 heifers to him.
2 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 am

I agree. If you are just trying to produce a calf to sell then buy cows. If you want to build a herd keep your replacements.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

rain dance
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rain dance » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 am

Well the more I think about it using ai like some suggested and then coming in with a big black Simmental makes the most sense. Even though I love the char calves then everything would be black or a black baldie so what I didn't want to keep back would sell as a group better. I only have 30 some cows so if I say had 10 heifers i kept back then had 10 black steers from the ai to sell and then 10 big char calves those 10 char calves even though individually better it would probably make more sense to have a solid black consistent group.
1 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:34 am

rain dance wrote:Well the more I think about it using ai like some suggested and then coming in with a big black Simmental makes the most sense. Even though I love the char calves then everything would be black or a black baldie so what I didn't want to keep back would sell as a group better. I only have 30 some cows so if I say had 10 heifers i kept back then had 10 black steers from the ai to sell and then 10 big char calves those 10 char calves even though individually better it would probably make more sense to have a solid black consistent group.
We each have to decide what works for us and will make the most money for us. Sounds like a plan. Does the black Simmies sell good in your area? They are docked here. Some big lot managers have stated they want absolutely no more than 25% Limmie or Simmie in what they buy. I know each region is different.
0 x

rain dance
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rain dance » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 am

Sim Angus bulls are very popular here.Some people have recomended a sim angus without me asking. I have not picked out any going through the ring to be honest and its been a while sine I have been to the sales. I will admit I probably have seen some sell but dont have the eye to pick out a 25% simmental 75% black anngus calve as apoosed to a full blood angus while running through the ring. What I do know is that black sells well big groups of blacks sell even better and cross breeding adds lbs and the calfs seem to be healthier in my limited experience. I just figrured with a pure blood black simmental I would get more hybryd vigor and make it a little easer on myself to tell the calfs apart from the ai ones

Why do they not want simmental? I would never want to keep heifers out of a sim but they really seem to grow well.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 am

rain dance wrote:Why do they not want simmental? I would never want to keep heifers out of a sim but they really seem to grow well.

Who is "They"? Around here straight Simmies (traditionally coloured) outsell straight BA every time. Although it is very seldom you see the two in the same weight class. As I stated earlier, I've never been to a sale where black Angus calves took home the most dollars per head.
Why would you not keep a heifer out of a Sim? :???:
0 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm

If you want to make replacements breed them all Simmental. They will make your blacks better. More maternal power. If reds sell well in your area buy a Fullblood non diluter bull as you could get a few from your black cows. If they don't get a black bull.
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”