Hereford cows

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Hereford cows

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 pm

mrvictordomino is only a short drive from you in KY.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:07 pm

I know a couple that raise real good Herefords but the freight from Conell, Washington or Baker City, Oregon would probably be cost prohibitive.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:40 pm

How many females, what kind of budget, and how far are you willing to buy from? All that will figure into your decision. If you are looking for carcass traits Ellis Farms http://www.efbeef.com/ is not too far from you probably. If you buy in bulk a lot of the larger Hereford breeders across the country probably offer some discounts and transportation arrangements too.

I'm a little biased but if I was going to purchase a group of females Rausch Herefords in South Dakota is a program I'd look at. They have the breed's most Dams of Distinction for the last 36 years. We've bought a bull off their production sale and used several of their AI sires and of any genetics we've used theirs we have had some of the best results than any other genetics we've used over the years.

No matter where you wind up buying from, you are going to find that Hereford females are some of the best cows you'll ever own. Do your research and buy from a reputable Hereford breeder and you'll do just fine.
3 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
bball wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Polled or horned?

Doesn't really matter to me as long as they're quality.

I have a good friend that raises really nice horned Herefords. All registered stock. I can PM you his contact info, if you like? Just don't mention the F1/Angus bull part or he'll shyt a Buick. :lol:

Why does he care what kind of bull his customers use?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:49 am

IF a breed is any good for your area you shouldn't have to go more than a few hundred miles to find good quality.
0 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:18 am

Buying registered stock to make commercial animals seems cost prohibitive unless they have some older cows they are ready to let go. A lot of the breeders may have long time customers whose herds by now are high percentage that you could get replacements from and you would be able to ask what else is in the woodpile.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:53 am

redcowsrule33 wrote:Buying registered stock to make commercial animals seems cost prohibitive unless they have some older cows they are ready to let go. A lot of the breeders may have long time customers whose herds by now are high percentage that you could get replacements from and you would be able to ask what else is in the woodpile.

Here I have a reputable Hereford breeder who only registers what he is keeping and sells the rest as commercial. He sells some very good replacement females as commercial. We bought some last spring and plan on continuing to buy/purchase some more. Many times around here I've found I can buy registered Angus females either bred heifers or young cows cheaper than I can bred heifers from the developers and you have a better idea what you are getting. Usually I don't pay much if any more and if I do pay a little extra it is cheaper in the long run than having the high cull rate you do on those at the sale barn or from a developer.

I know a man who has some very nice bred Hereford heifers(some have calves now) from the Monahans ranch in NE for sale but that would be a long haul for this man.
1 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 am

In your location...this is who I'd go to...as has been stated earlier...

http://www.jmsvictordomino.com/
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:15 am

Really appreciate all the recommendations!
Mrvictordomino was also at the top of my list as i have seen the amazing pics of his cattle posted on here. Sadly for me, and superb for him, he has nothing available...with nothing coming available anytime soon...a real testament to just how good his cattle are. However, he said he will keep me in mind if something does become available. I sure would love to have a few from his place.
2 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:27 am

Nothing beats a pasture full of Hereford cows to look at. IMO
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am

Rafter S wrote:
bball wrote:
Doesn't really matter to me as long as they're quality.

I have a good friend that raises really nice horned Herefords. All registered stock. I can PM you his contact info, if you like? Just don't mention the F1/Angus bull part or he'll shyt a Buick. :lol:

Why do you care that he cares? :lol: It's lighthearted humor directed at purebred holly rollers. I've always said that I'd like to have his cows for a year to put a good angus/sim angus bull on, and see what the profit did. He always gets stirred up and starts quoting end of the earth bible verses.
2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Rafter S wrote:

Why do you care that he cares? :lol: It's lighthearted humor directed at purebred holly rollers. I've always said that I'd like to have his cows for a year to put a good angus/sim angus bull on, and see what the profit did. He always gets stirred up and starts quoting end of the earth bible verses.

I'm afraid the humor went right over my head. Sorry about that. Sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet.

And I don't care that he cares. I was just curious.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

I'm afraid the humor went right over my head. Sorry about that. Sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet.

And I don't care that he cares. I was just curious.

That part was supposed to be humorous, as well. :nod: He's just an old German that is stuck in his ways. The only time I've ever heard him come close to taking the Lord's name in vain was in reference to the notion of using a polled bull so we didn't have to de-horn his steers every year. If he didn't have so much time to plot revenge, I would be the first to dump a Holstein bull in with his cows.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:13 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Nothing beats a pasture full of Hereford cows to look at. IMO

they sure are pretty.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Where are y'all buying them out of at/around Texas? I bought some from Oklahoma last year and I'm ready to pick up some more. Willing to drive up to around 8 hours
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”