What Continental breed is the best?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

What Continental breed is the best?

Postby lms0229 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:27 pm

In your opinion what Continental breed is the best in the following:

1. Marbling

2. Tenderness

3. Flavor

Any studies done to support your answers? Also.... where are the studies on less known breeds as a basis for comparison to the most common breeds we have here in the US? Like your Romagnola, Bazadaise, etc.... how do we know what breeds score the highest if we haven’t researched ALL the breeds for carcass quality? Just curious your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What Continental breed is the best?

Postby skeeter swatter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Sales consistently.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the SIMMER pimps. :pop: :clap: :pop:
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Imho Simmis are one of the best breeds a guy could get :D
2 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Facts don't lie, Sims you can't deny!
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 am

lms0229 wrote:In your opinion what Continental breed is the best in the following:

1. Marbling

2. Tenderness

3. Flavor
Blonde d'Aquitaine seem to be favored by French chefs and given France's reputation for food, a strong endorsement. But that doesn't mean they would be profitable in the usa.

At the end of the 19th century Galloway was judged more flavorful than Black Angus.
Being equal in number at that time in the USA Galloway were expected to play a major role in our beef supply.
But Angus adaptability and fertility = profit and left Galloway in the dust to just being another minor breed.

Any studies done to support your answers?
The real world market place is the best study experience.

Also.... how do we know what breeds score the highest if we haven’t researched ALL the breeds for carcass quality?
Man has been conducting research by eating beef for thousands of years. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Unless you want to develop a niche market to exploit, the market place has spoken as to what is most profitable.
Profitability is what works in the real world and adaptability and fertility is what has been proven to rule profit.

I know it's not the answer to your questions, but it seems to me growing what works best in your part of the world
is always the right answer.
0 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 am

The fall run of sales has started and so far the Fullblood Fleckvieh cattle have been outselling the Reds and black Simmental on average in Manitoba. 90 per cent or more going into good commercial herds too. Guys are paying $4-5k Canadian for good Fleck Breds. Consumers are speaking loud and clear. Simmental run the show here. Angus and Charolais fight over the rest. :banana:
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 am

They all bring something to the table. Marbling and tenderness is as variable WITHIN a breed as it is ACROSS different breeds.
We've had Simmental & Fleckvieh influence in our herd since 1983 or so.
But... I like Braunvieh and Pinzgauer... currently breeding some cows to Braunvieh sires, and have a handful of Braunvieh-cross heifers coming on.
Would be breeding some to Pinzgauer, too - if I knew the buyers wouldn't steal my steers, marking them off as Longhorn crosses. Had a couple of PZ-cross cows back in the early 90s that were danged good... but that line has petered out here.

Look here: http://www.cabpartners.com/articles/new ... rbling.pdf
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am

Lucky_P wrote:They all bring something to the table. Marbling and tenderness is as variable WITHIN a breed as it is ACROSS different breeds.
But... I like Braunvieh and Pinzgauer... currently breeding some cows to Braunvieh sires, and have a handful of Braunvieh-cross heifers coming on.
Would be breeding some to Pinzgauer, too - if I knew the buyers wouldn't steal my steers, marking them off as Longhorn crosses. Had a couple of PZ-cross cows back in the early 90s that were danged good... but that line has petered out here.

I seen some black heifers selling this week then they ran a black heifer in that looked as good as they were, probably came with them, same size and all BUT she had a white tail from about 6'' up her hip down to the bush of her tail , tail not even full white. cost the seller almost .30 per pound. just thought that was interesting from what you just said.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:25 pm

BRYANT wrote:
Lucky_P wrote:They all bring something to the table. Marbling and tenderness is as variable WITHIN a breed as it is ACROSS different breeds.

I seen some black heifers selling this week then they ran a black heifer in that looked as good as they were, probably came with them, same size and all BUT she had a white tail from about 6'' up her hip down to the bush of her tail , tail not even full white. cost the seller almost .30 per pound. just thought that was interesting from what you just said.

I see the same thing here. Any marking that indicates simmie or anything gets cut off and docked. Those with the simmie strip on their face do also. A Hereford bkack baldie will top the market.
1 x

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I know people have been judging beef for a long time but I feel the beef is only as good as what I tell you “the public”... if I convince you the public that black angus is the best then it means that it is the best right? But do you really know? I think the answer grows fuzzy in that manner. Black angus lacks juiceness in one study that I read the other day, but the one with the best flavor and juice wasn’t an angus... the public has been convinced that marbling equals quality, but we all know that there is so much more to it. People like what they can see...so to judge meat based on marbling makes sense to the public, but it doesn’t necessarily correlate to better taste. Not saying I’m right, but it appears that way to me, the newbie. Lol
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:08 pm

elkwc wrote:
BRYANT wrote:

I see the same thing here. Any marking that indicates simmie or anything gets cut off and docked. Those with the simmie strip on their face do also. A Hereford bkack baldie will top the market.

A skunktail isn't Simmental chrome, Sherlock. Most times it's usually a Longhorn cross which is more common than pinzgauer cross. The black skunktails are docked heavily than the Simmie calves in my area.
0 x

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:39 pm

lms0229 wrote:I know people have been judging beef for a long time but I feel the beef is only as good as what I tell you “the public”... if I convince you the public that black angus is the best then it means that it is the best right? But do you really know? I think the answer grows fuzzy in that manner. Black angus lacks juiceness in one study that I read the other day, but the one with the best flavor and juice wasn’t an angus... the public has been convinced that marbling equals quality, but we all know that there is so much more to it. People like what they can see...so to judge meat based on marbling makes sense to the public, but it doesn’t necessarily correlate to better taste. Not saying I’m right, but it appears that way to me, the newbie. Lol

I don't know that the public is so much convinced, as we, the producers are. gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Muddy wrote:
elkwc wrote:
BRYANT wrote:I seen some black heifers selling this week then they ran a black heifer in that looked as good as they were, probably came with them, same size and all BUT she had a white tail from about 6'' up her hip down to the bush of her tail , tail not even full white. cost the seller almost .30 per pound. just thought that was interesting from what you just said.

A skunktail isn't Simmental chrome, Sherlock. Most times it's usually a Longhorn cross which is more common than pinzgauer cross. The black skunktails are docked heavily than the Simmie calves in my area.

Sherlock if your reading apprehension was any good you would of seen I said simmie or anything. Guess I should of said anything else. Our neighbor that was using the black simmie bull got some with a lot of white on them. On the cow side there hasn't been anything used on them in the last at least 50 years but Angus except of one Char bull and his calves were docked and now the Black Simmie. I didn't mean that the Simmies had skunk tails but they have white elsewhere that indicates a cross and likely a Simmie cross. Like I've stated the only cross that doesn't get docked around here is a Hereford/Angus black baldie and they will top the market. The Simmies here are docked as much as a good Hereford steer. A good Hereford heifer will sell good as many buy them for replacements to breed to their Angus bulls.
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm

skeeter swatter wrote:Sales consistently.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the SIMMER pimps. :pop: :clap: :pop:

Sorry, meant Salers. As stated there is often as much or more difference within breeds as between breeds.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm partial to my Limousin.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”