Black Cross-Bred Texas Longhorn Cattle

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: Black Cross-Bred Texas Longhorn Cattle

Postby Muddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:20 pm

This is the reason why most Longhorn guys has left this forum, most of long time members here always bashing on their ideas and tell the longhorn guys that their LHX calves are hurting the beef industry. Some feedlot guys do like the Char x Longhorn cross calves. Honestly I just think most of the long time members are just jealous or being in denial.
1 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Muddy wrote:This is the reason why most Longhorn guys has left this forum, most of long time members here always bashing on their ideas and tell the longhorn guys that their LHX calves are hurting the beef industry. Some feedlot guys do like the Char x Longhorn cross calves. Honestly I just think most of the long time members are just jealous or being in denial.

I think it is good to try to be open-minded to other ways of doing things.

I like the look of the Charolais x Texas Longhorn calves. viewtopic.php?t=49051

They look like good beef cattle and they are mostly a solid pale yellow color.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 pm

I've posted this pic before. I was a little late getting him weaned, but 655 at 6.5 months. No creep feed, or grain to the cow. This was her first calf. Just goes to show what a good bull can do to clean up a junk cow. LOL
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Attached are 6 month old heifers (averaging 600-680 lbs) Angus cross. All at least 75% longhorn blood. (Solid cows make solid calves)

Great heifers for any beef program I’d use black simmental myself to beef up a bit more

2 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Muddy wrote:This is the reason why most Longhorn guys has left this forum, most of long time members here always bashing on their ideas and tell the longhorn guys that their LHX calves are hurting the beef industry. Some feedlot guys do like the Char x Longhorn cross calves. Honestly I just think most of the long time members are just jealous or being in denial.

I like the look of the Charolais x Texas Longhorn calves. http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49051

Open minded doesn’t pay the bills to play the game. If it did we would all be running a niche breed.
To draw premium money you have to deliver a premium calf for your area that the buyers want.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:50 pm

mpassmore85 wrote:Attached are 6 month old heifers (averaging 600-680 lbs) Angus cross. All at least 75% longhorn blood. (Solid cows make solid calves)

Great heifers for any beef program I’d use black simmental myself to beef up a bit more

Nice group! And I thought it is impossible for hiding longhorn blood according to the experts on here.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

I like the look of the Charolais x Texas Longhorn calves. viewtopic.php?t=49051

Open minded doesn’t pay the bills to play the game. If it did we would all be running a niche breed.
To draw premium money you have to deliver a premium calf for your area that the buyers want.

Get your head of your old wrinkled arse. Maybe they're just thinking out of the box? And you're no different from them since you're running a black bull on your precious brimmerX cows and put black hide on them.
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Those steers that sold were 650-830 weight they got 2.04 heavier weight to 2.46 lighter weight. (Yes I’m in Canada) Give or take 0.05 cents a pound to sale barn 1400$ a steer is bloody good. For “useless longhorns” that’s great no calving issues, no worries for predators or disease. They mostly had longer body and long legs but heard a few buyers say they looked like limos x black simmental actually paid a premium for them lol.

And not like it was a fluke was about 600 head in 2 different sales.
2 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 pm

To draw premium money you have to deliver a premium calf for your area that the buyers want.[/quote]

There is more than one premium breed or cross that works in your area, correct?

I was saying that we have to be open to the possibilities that there is more than one way to do things. I did not say to do something just because it seems like it would be fun.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

I've posted this pic before. I was a little late getting him weaned, but 655 at 6.5 months. No creep feed, or grain to the cow. This was her first calf. Just goes to show what a good bull can do to clean up a junk cow. LOL

Wow, 655 pounds at 6.5 months is good. I would be happy with that.

Just to be clear, is that calf all Longhorn or a cross?

At what weight do you normally sell your calves?
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:16 pm

mpassmore85 wrote:Attached are 6 month old heifers (averaging 600-680 lbs) Angus cross. All at least 75% longhorn blood. (Solid cows make solid calves)

I could not tell those have 75% Longhorn genetics. Wow!
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Bullitt wrote:Open minded doesn’t pay the bills to play the game. If it did we would all be running a niche breed.

I was saying that we have to be open to the possibilities that there is more than one way to do things. I did not say to do something just because it seems like it would be fun.[/quote]

There are three and it better be one of those if you want a premium check.
In replacement cattle it better be Brangus,Braford or F-1 Tiger.
Bulls Angus,Brangus,Char and Hereford.
Those terminal calves will draw the premium and mash the scales.
Calves need to come in black, black baldie or yellow baldie all sell at the top.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:22 pm

Bullitt wrote:

I could not tell those have 75% Longhorn genetics. Wow!

What is even more amazing is the African horn gene didn’t show up on any .
You can’t breed it out as it is a dominant gene.
Last edited by Caustic Burno on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bullitt wrote:Open minded doesn’t pay the bills to play the game. If it did we would all be running a niche breed.

I was saying that we have to be open to the possibilities that there is more than one way to do things. I did not say to do something just because it seems like it would be fun.

There are three and it better be one of those if you want a premium check.
In replacement cattle it better be Brangus,Braford or F-1 Tiger.
Bulls Angus,Brangus,Char and Hereford.
Those terminal calves will draw the premium and mash the scales.
Calves need to come in black, black baldie or yellow baldie all sell at the top.[/quote]

What is used to produce an F-1 Tiger?

What is used to produce a Yellow Baldy/Baldie?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:29 pm

F-1 Tiger Hereford/Brahman
Yellow baldie Char over Hereford
or over F-1’s.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”