Black Cross-Bred Texas Longhorn Cattle

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Black Cross-Bred Texas Longhorn Cattle

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

I've posted this pic before. I was a little late getting him weaned, but 655 at 6.5 months. No creep feed, or grain to the cow. This was her first calf. Just goes to show what a good bull can do to clean up a junk cow. LOL

Wow, 655 pounds at 6.5 months is good. I would be happy with that.

Just to be clear, is that calf all Longhorn or a cross?

At what weight do you normally sell your calves?

That calf is 3/4 Angus. We normally sell at an average of 600 or so at about 30-40 days post weaning. That calf is certainly above average.....by a lot.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Longhorn heifers that I have 50%LH or more crossed with beef breed eat about 15% less than regular beef animals, cows have at least double the life. Oldest I have right now is from 1992.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:20 pm

mpassmore85 wrote:Longhorn heifers that I have 50%LH or more crossed with beef breed eat about 15% less than regular beef animals, cows have at least double the life. Oldest I have right now is from 1992.

Do you ever get a horned calf from a full Longhorn cow and beef bull?
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Just a couple but those definitely have ankole/watusi bloody going back several generations
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Muddy wrote:Do you ever get a horned calf from a full Longhorn cow and beef bull?

I see many people concerned about horns, but I do not understand why. When a calf is less than two months old the horn nubs come off very easily.

I suppose horns are one more thing to worry about. But I think the horns can be removed quickly when calves are vaccinated and bulls are castrated.
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:00 am

Yea simple electric device that burns the root out when they are a couple months old super easy. We usually don’t brand anything but heifers we keep (and do that when they are yearlings)
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:32 am

mpassmore85 wrote:Attached are 6 month old heifers (averaging 600-680 lbs) Angus cross. All at least 75% longhorn blood. (Solid cows make solid calves)

Great heifers for any beef program I’d use black simmental myself to beef up a bit more

got any pictures of the cows ??
4 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:20 am

FarmFence - your calf is great. but..... so is your cow.
You don't take crappy cows & get GREAT calves overnight. A cow eats according to her body weight. Cows with no body weight, don't eat much, making her an easy keeper.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:48 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:FarmFence - your calf is great. but..... so is your cow.
You don't take crappy cows & get GREAT calves overnight. A cow eats according to her body weight. Cows with no body weight, don't eat much, making her an easy keeper.

Cept that skunk color would get you killed here. That is about the absolute worse color to run through the barn no matter the breeding.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:49 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:FarmFence - your calf is great. but..... so is your cow.

I'll sort of agree with you, but not all the way. I would argue that it's possible for cows to have differing metabolisms, but that's just for the sake of arguing. I need to load that cow up and take her to the scales, just to know for sure what she weighs. I'm going to guess her to be 1,000-1,050.....but I'm not a good guesser. Thank you for the compliment!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:53 am

Caustic Burno wrote:

Cept that skunk color would get you killed here. That is about the absolute worse color to run through the barn no matter the breeding.

For the 158th time......Anyone who takes these calves to the sale, without having two interested bidders, is screwing up. My buyer actually requests the skunks that we raise, because he knows the 3 cows they all go back to. The skunks off my place are performers.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:06 am

A niche cow for a niche market is not a performer.
A performer rings the bell at any of the local auctions.
Your one death away from having severely docked cattle.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

For the 158th time......Anyone who takes these calves to the sale, without having two interested bidders, is screwing up. My buyer actually requests the skunks that we raise, because he knows the 3 cows they all go back to. The skunks off my place are performers.

It's apparent you have a different type of buyer, around here at any of the sale barns I frequently trade with that calf would get stolen. Just goes to show that good feed - grass can make a decent cow - calf no matter the breeding.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 am

Grit the color dock is BS and we all know it. They are all the same color when the hide comes off.
The dock is big and real and is the difference in working cows and welfare cows.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

It's apparent you have a different type of buyer, around here at any of the sale barns I frequently trade with that calf would get stolen. Just goes to show that good feed - grass can make a decent cow - calf no matter the breeding.

Yes sir. We have a few standard sale barns within driving distance, but we also have a co-op feederyard right here in my hometown. No trader cattle, and the buyer gets a full history on the calves, including where they come from. Everything has to come direct from the farm.....no trash. It's a better place to sell cattle that might need some explaining.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”