Help me understand

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Help me understand

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Angus are black, and red Angus are red. There's been red Angus ever since there was Angus.
6 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:00 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Angus are black, and red Angus are red. There's been red Angus ever since there was Angus.

This I know...but, who will be the first to turn red angus black like they've done many breeds..lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Hereford.....some have horns, some are polled, but none are black.

People have started making new breeds of everything black since, for some reason, black cattle seem to sell for higher prices. It makes no sense to me. You would think the cattle would be judged on conformation and not hair color.

Makes a lot of sense. You said it yourself - in markets where black cattle sell for a premium, producers who want to retain their breed base, are going to introduce genes to make their base black.

I meant to say that it makes no sense that cattle buyers pay more for black hair.
1 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Angus are black, and red Angus are red. There's been red Angus ever since there was Angus.

True. In Europe the breed is called Aberdeen Angus and some are black and some are red. In the United States the black and red Angus are treated like separate breeds. It would be like breaking up Labrador retrievers into three breeds -- black, yellow, and chocolate.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Y'all know who the mod is on that site...it's his world, you are just living in it...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Hereford.....some have horns, some are polled, but none are black.

People have started making new breeds of everything black since, for some reason, black cattle seem to sell for higher prices. It makes no sense to me. You would think the cattle would be judged on conformation and not hair color.
This is the reason why some people are starting to stay away from the black hide fad. Very few breeds in North America that isn't black or Angus influenced. Feedlot buyers will pay more for dink black calves of unknown background than good quality colored calves.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Muddy wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Feedlot buyers will pay more for dink black calves of unknown background than good quality colored calves.

This is what I do not understand.

The American Angus Association sure has done a good job at convincing people it has to be Angus or nothing.

I heard a funny fast food commercial making fun of an "Angus burger". The commercial asked, "What part of the cow is the Angus?" :) It sounds a lot like anus.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Muddy wrote:This is the reason why some people are starting to stay away from the black hide fad. Very few breeds in North America that isn't black or Angus influenced. Feedlot buyers will pay more for dink black calves of unknown background than good quality colored calves.

Out of our herds this year, the red bulls colored calves brought top dollar, many went over 1000.. reds, brindles, very few black......I've said it before, if its a good calf it will bring a good price....too many people rely on color. Yeah, we've gone black, but because we like what angus has done to the sim blood... The pot load buyer I talked with said he didn't care what color, just needed uniform size.....We had enough calves, but with a breeding season of 3 months, its hard to get them all one weight at selling time.
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 pm

It is marketing. Advertising. They have certified angus hotdogs.

Joe Consumer will buy Choice grade certified angus over prime. Most younger consumers are buying from places like Walmart and they don't know the difference between Select, Choice and Prime. If it is certified they assume its good.

That's just how it is. Red angus cannot be certified angus. Go figure.
4 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

Makes a lot of sense. You said it yourself - in markets where black cattle sell for a premium, producers who want to retain their breed base, are going to introduce genes to make their base black.

I meant to say that it makes no sense that cattle buyers pay more for black hair.

I've come to the conclusion most of the buyers are not near as smart as people proclaim them to be.
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:18 pm

And I've seen good quality colored calves got sold for less than what the average black feeder brings. Hence many breeds went black or solid red and we have lot of Black Angus composites. If you took your spotted Sim or brindled calves here, they would get sold for less than $700.
1 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Muddy wrote:Out of our herds this year, the red bulls colored calves brought top dollar, many went over 1000.. reds, brindles, very few black......I've said it before, if its a good calf it will bring a good price....too many people rely on color. Yeah, we've gone black, but because we like what angus has done to the sim blood... The pot load buyer I talked with said he didn't care what color, just needed uniform size.....We had enough calves, but with a breeding season of 3 months, its hard to get them all one weight at selling time.

It seems that maybe the cattle buyers in the South are a little less strict about black hair because the Brahman-influenced cattle are common to tolerate the heat. In the colder states the Brahman-influenced cattle do not do well in the cold so those cattle are not accepted. What do you think?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

Sorry I didn't understand but yes. I agree.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Muddy wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

This is what I do not understand.

The American Angus Association sure has done a good job at convincing people it has to be Angus or nothing.

"What part of the cow is the Angus?" :) It sounds a lot like anus.
the marbled beef part...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Back in the 80s, lean beef was the thing. Everyone turned up their noses at angus and Hereford.. We had a very mixed herd back then, lots of old roping calves and show heifers....But, a big mix of everything.. We had brangus bulls which was the thing in our area in the 70s. But then went to sims in the 80s, because they were leaner yet huge.
Anywho, people decided they didn't like lean and we were left with big lean calves and giant cows...thus, the reason to mix in angus. Long story short, we've always eaten our own beef and I can say for sure out of all the calves over the years we've eaten (and we just pull them off at weaning with no feed) i'll say angus was best....Hated the lean beef, I felt like I was missing out with the beef we had to eat and once we had one slaughtered, we were stuck with it. I did like the lean burger best but you can control that somewhat, but dang those steaks were terrible in the leaner breeds.. Angus and Herefords marble better, and its that marble that makes them taste good. Its very simple to understand....
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”