Another first

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Another first

Postby gizmom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 pm

No matter now long your involved with cattle they you can never really get it 100% figured out. I think I wrote something last year about an ET heifer that had been stepped on. We thought at the time her leg was broken but when we got her to the chute we found an abscess. We drained it gave her antibotics and kept an eye on her, she seemed fine. Two weeks ago I was trailing the heifers to the feed pen, the leg looked swollen, we sorted her and found her leg hot to the touch with a hole in it. We drained it and treated with antibotics. Got her up again yesterday it wasn’t any better so we loaded her up for a vet visit. Dr. Hank did surgery the nine had in fact been broken when she was a baby the bone had healed but a piece had died and was sticking out as she grew it started rubbing its way out. Hank had to cut the dead bone off said she would be good as new. Goes to show no matter how long we do this the cows will throw you a curve you have never seen before. Hank said this was not common he had seen it in horses but never a cow.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Re: Another first

Postby jscunn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Good thing we have vet that likes the weird stuff..
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

We are truly blessed to have a Vegas good as Hank!

Gizmom
0 x

Bullitt
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bullitt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:43 pm

gizmom wrote:We are truly blessed to have a Vegas good as Hank!

Gizmom

I am curious. How much did the leg surgery on the cow cost?

I am preparing for the day I have to deal with something like this.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Bullitt

Hopefully you will never have this happen, it was a first for us. I haven’t got the bill but did ask and he said not over 500. We do 95% of our herd health work but we knew there was more going on with this than we could fix. We suspected a bone fragment but I was schocked to find out it was still attached to the bone, basically new bone grew together but a piece of the broken bone died and was cutting her. I can’t let one suffer it was fix or put down and Hank feels she will be sound after removal of the dead bone, the heifer has great genetics so we took a gamble.

Gizmom
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:00 pm

The boss picked the heifer up from the vet this morning. Dr. Hank sent me the piece of dead bone that had to be removed. We have seen some strange injuries illness in cattle over the years but this one ranks up in at least the top three.

The good news is the heifer seems fine not limping but still swollen.

Gizmom
3 x

Return to “Breeds Board”