Fastest Growing Breed Cross?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Fastest Growing Breed Cross?

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Somethings in cattle just seem to work and Angus and Hereford work good together.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:37 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:
The only way to beat a baldy cow is with a stick. She crosses with anything.

They come in red too.
yep, :nod: and a cross I'd like to dabble in.. But I hate chasing rabbits...

The red ones? Lots of good Red Angus bulls out there. In general they aren't as stupid as the black ones are either.

Angus can come in black or red. That seems strange that the red ones are smarter than the black ones. Maybe you just prefer the red color?

I think this preference for black in the cattle industry is silly, though.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Bullitt wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:/quote] yep, :nod: and a cross I'd like to dabble in.. But I hate chasing rabbits...

What does that mean? :)

Means I can't raise em all.. Have to concentrate on the direction I'm wanting to take my herd... Which right now is looking like something the obama administration has thrown together... :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:43 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Somethings in cattle just seem to work and Angus and Hereford work good together.

The Black Baldies are very common also. They can be bought just about anywhere.

So crossing Black Baldies with a continental black bull would probably be the easiest way to satisfy the market and get a good three-breed cross just about anywhere in the country.

I see those Brafords for sale here in Texas. The ads say, these are the real-deal F1 Tigerstripes. It is a popular cross for cows, especially in the deep South.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Bullitt wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote: yep, :nod: and a cross I'd like to dabble in.. But I hate chasing rabbits...

The red ones? Lots of good Red Angus bulls out there. In general they aren't as stupid as the black ones are either.

Angus can come in black or red. That seems strange that the red ones are smarter than the black ones. Maybe you just prefer the red color?

I think this preference for black in the cattle industry is silly, though.
maybe silly ,,and I agree for the most part.. But its a industry just like chicken and pork..You gotta raise what the market wants or stand by crying on the sideline..
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Image she looking a little rough now days..she's one of my oldies..
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Somethings in cattle just seem to work and Angus and Hereford work good together.

The Black Baldies are very common also. They can be bought just about anywhere.

So crossing Black Baldies with a continental black bull would probably be the easiest way to satisfy the market and get a good three-breed cross just about anywhere in the country.

I see those Brafords for sale here in Texas. The ads say, these are the real-deal F1 Tigerstripes. It is a popular cross for cows, especially in the deep South.

I have 4 bred heifer baldies consigned to a breeders sale, 2 are red, 2 are black, one of the red ones is excellent and the other one isn't far behind. And the two good blacks will probably bring more. I have all intentions of bringing the red one's home if they don't top the blacks.
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:57 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Image she looking a little rough now days..she's one of my oldies..

That is what a udder is supposed to look like. Nice.
2 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:[
Means I can't raise em all.. Have to concentrate on the direction I'm wanting to take my herd...

I see. My eyes have been opened by the possible combinations with a three-breed cross.

I would still like to experiment by crossing some Texas Longhorn cows with a Brangus bull and then crossing those cows with a black continental breed, such as a Simmental. Texas Longhorns crossed with Brangus would be some tough and efficient cattle. The final result with the Simmental bull would produce calves with only 1/4 Longhorn and be all, or mostly, black to make the market happy. I imagine a herd with little sickness, parasite resistance, and calving ease.

I know you think I am crazy, but using Texas Longhorn cows to get started would be about the least expensive way to build a herd. The Brangus and Simmental bulls could be rented, if needed. A person could build a herd of good cattle with very little cost. I saw an ad for 12 Longhorn cows with calves and the cows were all bred for $12,000. A person could build a herd quickly and cheaply that way.
Last edited by Bullitt on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Her mother bagged up like a Holstein,, was worried it might blow on her.. She was a dandy..
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Someone else mentioned he liked to use Hereford cows. Then a black bull, a red bull, or Charolais could be used to produce Black Baldies, Red Baldies, and Yellow Baldies.

I wonder if a person crossed Charolais and Hereford to get Yellow Baldies and then used a homozygous black continental bull would that produce all-black, or mostly black, calves?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Means I can't raise em all.. Have to concentrate on the direction I'm wanting to take my herd...

I see. My eyes have been opened by the possible combinations with a three-breed cross.

I would still like to experiment by crossing some Texas Longhorn cows with a Brangus bull and then crossing those cows with a black continental breed, such as a Simmental. Texas Longhorns crossed with Brangus would be some tough and efficient cattle. The final result with the Simmental bull would produce calves with only 1/4 Longhorn and be all, or mostly, black to make the market happy. I imagine a herd with little sickness, parasite resistance, and calving ease.

I know you think I am crazy, but using Texas Longhorn cows to get started would be about the least expensive way to build a herd. The Brangus and Simmental bulls could be rented, if needed. A person could build a herd of good cattle with very little cost. I saw an ad for 12 Longhorn cows with calves and the cows were all bred for $12,000. A person could build a herd quickly and cheaply that way.
actually those three in ones..are only worth about 650 to 750 And that's being liberal..and I'm a conservative. :cowboy:
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:42 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

actually those three in ones..are only worth about 650 to 750 And that's being liberal..and I'm a conservative. :cowboy:

AC that is way liberal.
Be way ahead buying SS heavies with that money.
12k for 12 Bred LH would be considered robbery.
1 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
AC that is way liberal.

Plus each cow has a calf.

What are SS heavies?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

AC that is way liberal.
take a looooooong time to start paying for themselves.... Providing they ever do.. But by that time,all the longhorn will be bred out of them
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”