Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm

No worries. It can probably still be registered as a simmental :D
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6375
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Bigfoot wrote:No worries. It can probably still be registered as a simmental :D


It is 5/8 Simmental, so yes. Just like you register a Simangus. I doubt that she will.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2484
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 pm

First, I am going to kill Ron!

Ok, let's explain a few things. First, he is an embryo, in fact sired by One Eyed Jack, and out of a 1/4 blood simm, 3/4 blood Belgium Blue cow. The cow is, in fact, owned by Glacier Ridge, or better known as Anne. Eve injured herself, and before putting her down they wanted to flush her. They flushed her to One Eyed Jack. Anne wanted some semen on one of my bulls, so I traded her a few embryos for the semen.
Elsa is a Jan 14 cow, who had a fantastic Optimizer heifer (been on here many times) in Nov 15, then an American Pride bull in October16 (shown and sold as a bull - pictured here also). We could not get her stuck, even with Ron breeding her. I did not want to lose more time on her, so I decided to put a lower cost embryo in her to give it a try, and it stuck. That calf is the embryo. I got what I wanted, a live calf that she can raise and get her back on track with AI.
That calf will be castrated, and shown in our carcass contest next spring. Both of my kids are fighting over who gets to show him, because of his unusual color (he is a blue roan, with lots of white!). So he gets the baldy face from OEJ, and the roaning from his dam.
Here is a picture of Eve
Image

I have to say, I was not expecting that much color. Anne has two heifer calves out of this flush, I think about yearlings now. They both look like their dam, color wise. I look forward to seeing how he grows and hangs on the rail.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled program!
5 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6375
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:19 pm

My last will and testament.

All my worldly belongings go to my son.

Since I am an atheist of firm conviction, I know these are my last hours. I only have a few before Fire Sweep sends in the hit squad. I have had a good life and I am ready.

From dust I came and to dust I return.

Good bye good world.
1 x
Make America Happy Again

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby ez14. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Bright Raven wrote:My last will and testament.

All my worldly belongings go to my son.

Since I am an atheist of firm conviction, I know these are my last hours. I only have a few before Fire Sweep sends in the hit squad. I have had a good life and I am ready.

From dust I came and to dust I return.

Good bye good world.
Well raven you jumped the gun a little bit with this thread! And now it's time to pay the price! :wave:
4 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3800
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:14 am

It'll darken up a lot.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6773
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:54 am

I'd get the hide tanned when the time comes.
4 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2484
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I'd get the hide tanned when the time comes.

now that is a great idea..... I wonder how well our brand will show up on that hide? A tanned hide with our brand sounds cool!

wbvs58 wrote:It'll darken up a lot.

Ken


How long does it take to darken? I'm not used to these color variations!
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6375
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I'd get the hide tanned when the time comes.

now that is a great idea..... I wonder how well our brand will show up on that hide? A tanned hide with our brand sounds cool!



Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.
1 x
Make America Happy Again

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6773
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:56 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I'd get the hide tanned when the time comes.

now that is a great idea..... I wonder how well our brand will show up on that hide? A tanned hide with our brand sounds cool!



Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.

I was just thinking about how much value your breeding choices could add to the Simmental breed. In the near future the hides might be worth more than the meat.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6375
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:11 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote: now that is a great idea..... I wonder how well our brand will show up on that hide? A tanned hide with our brand sounds cool!



Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.

I was just thinking about how much value your breeding choices could add to the Simmental breed. In the near future the hides might be worth more than the meat.


Sarcasm noted. That breeding decision was made for the reasons Kris described above. If you didn't read it, her post explains the logic behind their decision. I throw that out there in case you missed the explanation.

BTW: It would make a wonderful rug. Her daughter has a Zebra rug I gave her. This would be nice In her son's room.
1 x
Make America Happy Again

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6773
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Your brand would survive tanning. But the problem is that the white brand will not have much contrast with the pelage on the hide. Both are white. I assume you would tan with hair on.

You can have a rug made. Take it to a good taxidermist in Springfield.

I was just thinking about how much value your breeding choices could add to the Simmental breed. In the near future the hides might be worth more than the meat.


Sarcasm noted. That breeding decision was made for the reasons Kris described above. If you didn't read it, her post explains the logic behind their decision. I throw that out there in case you missed the explanation.

BTW: It would make a wonderful rug. Her daughter has a Zebra rug I gave her. This would be nice In her son's room.

You can still register the calf with the ASA, that's the joke. And logical? Logical is culling your poor producers, she's not a fertile cow and that is easily passed on. Then to go through the expense of putting a embro in that's not what your after is a waste. IMO That's going to be one heck of a calf, I would like to see it at 18 months.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6375
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 am

True Grit Farms wrote:You can still register the calf with the ASA, that's the joke. And logical? Logical is culling your poor producers, she's not a fertile cow and that is easily passed on. Then to go through the expense of putting a embro in that's not what your after is a waste. IMO That's going to be one heck of a calf, I would like to see it at 18 months.


Why didn't you say that? Now that you put some meat on the bone, I can see your logic. But there is more than one way to skin a calf. It is not my decision, if that same scenario played out here, I might cull too.

As you know, I don't have a bull and don't plan to use one. If I cannot get a cow to stick to AI, she might not stay here.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6938
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Well, for all the rig-a-ma-roll surrounding this thread, :lol: , I have to say I think he's a cool looking calf. And I also like the idea of tanning his hide, it would look good! :)
4 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4888
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Next Legendary Simmental Bull

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Excluding a few great sires....
You must think the bar for the next Great Simmental is quite low... is that why you believe this is "The One"?

You don't. ;-)

No. That much white was surely not planned. Probably a show steer. May even be too much for a show steer.

No, I don't think the bar for the next Great Simmental is set low. In fact I think it may never be reached again.

Now that the situation has been explained, I can understand the logic.
I think you might be on to something and he may well become a legendary Simmental bull.
Bringing Belgium Blue into the mix could help the breed and certainly shouldn't hurt Simmental calving ease any. :)

p.s.
Frankenstein, Hannibal Lector and Rasputin all became legendary.
Maybe Kris will name him Rasputin or perhaps after his descendant.... Vladimir Putin.
Vlad the Destroyer has a certain ring to it.
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests