Pharo cattle company

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2918
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Looked at 'em about 10 yrs ago, and almost ordered some semen. Used a more 'mainstream' 4.0 frame Angus bull for a couple of years... made 'em plenty small... hate to think about what those 2.5 FS low-growth Pharo bulls would have dealt me.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Ned Jr. wrote:I sat in the sale barn yesterday and watched small framed cattle get hammered! Far more than for any breed or color. I can’t see how they would work even with higher stocking rates and lower input.


You sell the short steer calves at sales barn for $500, and sell the heifers on the internet for $1500. :banana:
Can you average $1000/head with sheep?


Sheep math: 5 ewes per cow, ewe will lamb at 1 YO, can lamb 3X every two years. Sell lambs from 3 months and up or 2 months and up on crossbreeds. If ewes have 150% then one lambing is 7.5 lambs (half a lamb is food for small family! :lol: )
Plug in a lamb market value and there you go.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:09 pm

This small cow math (to me) is a joke.
No matter how big or small your cow is, it takes just as much time to run thru the chute for vaccines. Vaccines cost the same. You have to spend as much (or not) on watching cows for calving difficulties.
Plus side: dewormers would be cheaper!
As far as labor - they are equal. Well, unless you are butchering one. LOL
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Are they really that small?? 2.5 frame :shock:
I have not seen or heard a "speel" on Pharo cattle in a long time.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1128
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Lazy M » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:This small cow math (to me) is a joke.
No matter how big or small your cow is, it takes just as much time to run thru the chute for vaccines. Vaccines cost the same. You have to spend as much (or not) on watching cows for calving difficulties.
Plus side: dewormers would be cheaper!
As far as labor - they are equal. Well, unless you are butchering one. LOL

I may be wrong but I believe that Pharo or some of his converts claim that their cattle are so hardy that they don't need vaccinations or deworming..

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2918
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Looked at the offerings today... I'd not peeked in years.
I see he's no longer listing frame scores, but I remember more than one in his old semen catalog(and some of those bulls are still available) that were FS 2.5 to 3.0; may have been some that were even smaller... I don't know about the Lowlines...
WW epds of 10-20... there ain't much 'grow' to 'em.
'Fleshing ability', 5 stars! yeah, I imagine they're short & dumpies that finish real early.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby elkwc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Looked at the offerings today... I'd not peeked in years.
I see he's no longer listing frame scores, but I remember more than one in his old semen catalog(and some of those bulls are still available) that were FS 2.5 to 3.0; may have been some that were even smaller... I don't know about the Lowlines...
WW epds of 10-20... there ain't much 'grow' to 'em.
'Fleshing ability', 5 stars! yeah, I imagine they're short & dumpies that finish real early.


I see his remarks about frame 3.5-4.0 that weigh a ton. I have never seen one with his breeding that would weigh a ton. They would have to weigh 1,500 first. Most cows I've seen are below a 1,000 and don't look like easy fleshers to me.

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm

There is no silver bullet in the cattle industry. Once you get out of the box you step into another. Neighbor sold some Pharo sired Ra calves in September that weighted 380 for $2.10 a lb. I was buying 500 lb black bull calves for $1.60 then. Came out to same dollars per head.
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2387
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Muddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Ned Jr. wrote:I sat in the sale barn yesterday and watched small framed cattle get hammered! Far more than for any breed or color. I can’t see how they would work even with higher stocking rates and lower input.


You sell the short steer calves at sales barn for $500, and sell the heifers on the internet for $1500. :banana:
Can you average $1000/head with sheep?
More like $300 for the steers.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby elkwc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 am

This thread made the Pharo newsletter.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 am

elkwc wrote:This thread made the Pharo newsletter.

ALL of it, or parts & pieces????
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby dun » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:44 am

I guess I should have read it instead of just throwing it in the trash like I always do.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 am

elkwc wrote:This thread made the Pharo newsletter.



LOL, wonder if a nerve was struck.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby Ned Jr. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am

gcreekrch wrote:
elkwc wrote:This thread made the Pharo newsletter.



LOL, wonder if a nerve was struck.


Apparently so. Lol

https://www.pharocattle.com/blog/pharo- ... ing-rights

One thing I noticed,when he quoted Ranchman90 he left out the word “bull”. Black “bull” calves. That can make a big difference.
If attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15587
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm

Re: Pharo cattle company

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am

Don't know why he should care,, there's always naysayers in every realm of business..
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..