Commercial home kept bulls

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Re: Commercial home kept bulls

Postby Lazy M » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm

I'll bite. The one on the left is out of a pb Lim cow, the one on the right is out of a 1/2 gelbvieh 1/2 angus cow. They were both ai sired by SAV Bruiser. I think that they were both 11 mos in the pic in Aug. I have them running with our fall bred cows now. We'll see how they do.
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Good looking bulls, but the one on the left wouldn't go on any heifers till I saw his first calf crop. He has a big square looking head in the picture.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:50 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Good looking bulls, but the one on the left wouldn't go on any heifers till I saw his first calf crop. He has a big square looking head in the picture.

Agreed. He had an actual bw of under 75 lbs but I wouldn't put any unproven homegrown bull on heifers.
0 x

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 pm

I use homegrown, unproven bulls on heifers every year......But I have forty years of breeding in these bulls. Pretty confident in what they are going to produce.
5 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I'd never put a home grown unregistered bull on heifers. You don't know what might line up and show up.

Depends on how well you know your own cow families.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:21 am

mrvictordomino wrote:I use homegrown, unproven bulls on heifers every year......But I have forty years of breeding in these bulls. Pretty confident in what they are going to produce.

I'd say if any cattle were predictable, they'd be yours.
2 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:36 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Muddy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I'd never put a home grown unregistered bull on heifers. You don't know what might line up and show up.

No different from registered bull that was unproven....lot of folks got burned with registered bulls.

Got burned on what? Sure not birthweight using a registered Angus bull. The EPD'S and DNA testing has eliminated birth weight issues on the high side using Angus. IMO the calves are getting to small in the Angus breed.

TG overall I agree with you. But I know of a few instances where breeders have got burned bad using registered Angus bulls that were surefire calving ease bull. One breeder pulled all but one out of a sure fire bull. I still say you never know until you get some calves out of them. We just sold a bull who the breeder and the EPD's said wasn't a calving ease bull and we never pulled a calf sire by him out of a heifer. But overall I agree the Angus calves are getting too small and many sires are too light everywhere.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 am

Used one our bull one year and another bull next year. Both have left good daughters. Photo of one. He was AngusxCharx. Wish we had more daughters from him.
Image With his mom and half sister.
1 x

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am

Buying bulls never used to be in the budget growing up. We'd AI a few of our best cows and then keep sons and grandsons. So I have a ton of pictures of home raised bulls that I'll spare everyone from posting them all.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:39 am

lithuanian farmer wrote:Used one our bull one year and another bull next year. Both have left good daughters. Photo of one. He was AngusxCharx. Wish we had more daughters from him.

He's a nice looking bull! However I try to never align my head directly over top of any of my cattle's heads!
1 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
lithuanian farmer wrote:Used one our bull one year and another bull next year. Both have left good daughters. Photo of one. He was AngusxCharx. Wish we had more daughters from him.

He's a nice looking bull! However I try to never align my head directly over top of any of my cattle's heads!
yeah they can whip their head up pretty quickly!
2 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Here is one of mine. Coming 2 year old chisum son. Have a few calves due to him mid February, we’ll see how they do. He is out of one of my best cows. I have is full brother in the keep pen at the moment waiting on some calves to hit the ground. As with most chisum calves, tame as a dog. He is not as deep as I would like, but overall I like him. His foot structure is great. I had to put him to work earlier than I wanted last spring, so I don’t think he is going to get real big. I am guessing him at around 1400lbs now. Good or bad comments much welcomed
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm

0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm

My home raised guy. I don't think I developed him correctly as he was raised on milk and grass mainly. He did got a few cubes on occasion, but not really enough to count. I would like him better if he were taller and a bit longer.

0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:35 pm

slick4591 wrote:My home raised guy. I don't think I developed him correctly as he was raised on milk and grass mainly. He did got a few cubes on occasion, but not really enough to count. I would like him better if he were taller and a bit longer.

Must not be as much leg there as the picture shows then...he looks fairly tall...
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Return to “Breeds Board”