Angus Assoc. Foot Scoring

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Angus Assoc. Foot Scoring

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Ran across this today, thought I'd share.
https://www.angus.org/performance/foots ... poster.pdf
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus Assoc. Foot Scoring

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for sharing. I had seen that before but it's been a while.
0 x

tnfarmboy67
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tnfarmboy67 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 pm

They also released some of the foot score research epd's. http://www.angus.org/nce/documents/Foot ... 013018.pdf
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 pm

If I am reading this right a 5.0 is ideal if the claw or angle is less than ideal the EPD is higher. Resource would be a bull to use to improve hooves. Interesting information.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Midtenn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 pm

tnfarmboy67 wrote:They also released some of the foot score research epd's. http://www.angus.org/nce/documents/Foot ... 013018.pdf

Thanks for posting that, glad to see they are doing it.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm

This line right here is concerning that it even has to be mentioned as a criteria:

1 Animals must be scored prior to hoof trimming.

I would assume most non-show ring folks here are not hoof trimming their cattle and if you are I am guessing that it is because they are scoring over the ideal "5" that chart shows. You shouldn't have a need for hoof trimming if you are breeding structurally sound cattle.
1 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 pm

SPH wrote:This line right here is concerning that it even has to be mentioned as a criteria:

1 Animals must be scored prior to hoof trimming.

I would assume most non-show ring folks here are not hoof trimming their cattle and if you are I am guessing that it is because they are scoring over the ideal "5" that chart shows. You shouldn't have a need for hoof trimming if you are breeding structurally sound cattle.

The only time it can be an issue with sound cattle is when they are on very soft ground almost continually. Some people here have lowland/swamp pasture ground where the hoof won't wear down properly and issues develop after a few years. Nothing better than highland hard ground with a little sand in it.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 am

I know of certain cattle from certain breeders who have to have their bulls trimmed on a regular basis. A vet is this area says the new wing to his clinic was paid for by trimming cattle from a certain prominent breeder. I've seen many of these cattle. The breeders paid good money for the bulls so felt the need to use them. All they are doing is spreading the issue if they retain any heifers. I had a chance to buy a 2 y/o last spring that was purchased as a high dollar yearling at another prominent sale. He had been trimmed some. I have seen it in both Polled Herefords and Angus. Although it has been worse in Angus but that maybe cause I see several from that one outfit in this area. When I was looking at one bull he was gimping a little. I mentioned it and the breeder stated that was because the hoof trimmer got him a little short when he was there earlier in the week. This was a bull being sold for a commercial bull not a show bull. Needless to say that killed that sale. And otherwise he was a good bull.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 am

elkwc wrote:I know of certain cattle from certain breeders who have to have their bulls trimmed on a regular basis. A vet is this area says the new wing to his clinic was paid for by trimming cattle from a certain prominent breeder. I've seen many of these cattle. The breeders paid good money for the bulls so felt the need to use them. All they are doing is spreading the issue if they retain any heifers. I had a chance to buy a 2 y/o last spring that was purchased as a high dollar yearling at another prominent sale. He had been trimmed some. I have seen it in both Polled Herefords and Angus. Although it has been worse in Angus but that maybe cause I see several from that one outfit in this area. When I was looking at one bull he was gimping a little. I mentioned it and the breeder stated that was because the hoof trimmer got him a little short when he was there earlier in the week. This was a bull being sold for a commercial bull not a show bull. Needless to say that killed that sale. And otherwise he was a good bull.

Elkwc what operations are you talking about and where are you located? I buy my bulls and use both Angus and Hereford, there's a good possibility that you just might be able to save me a lot of problems down the road.
Thanks, Vince
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 am

Hooves that need to be trimmed should be trimmed immediately behind the scull. :shock:
3 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 am

Ebenezer wrote:Hooves that need to be trimmed should be trimmed immediately behind the scull. :shock:

That will fix the foot issue. I think some people just enjoy working with problems.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
elkwc wrote:I know of certain cattle from certain breeders who have to have their bulls trimmed on a regular basis. A vet is this area says the new wing to his clinic was paid for by trimming cattle from a certain prominent breeder. I've seen many of these cattle. The breeders paid good money for the bulls so felt the need to use them. All they are doing is spreading the issue if they retain any heifers. I had a chance to buy a 2 y/o last spring that was purchased as a high dollar yearling at another prominent sale. He had been trimmed some. I have seen it in both Polled Herefords and Angus. Although it has been worse in Angus but that maybe cause I see several from that one outfit in this area. When I was looking at one bull he was gimping a little. I mentioned it and the breeder stated that was because the hoof trimmer got him a little short when he was there earlier in the week. This was a bull being sold for a commercial bull not a show bull. Needless to say that killed that sale. And otherwise he was a good bull.

Elkwc what operations are you talking about and where are you located? I buy my bulls and use both Angus and Hereford, there's a good possibility that you just might be able to save me a lot of problems down the road.
Thanks, Vince

Sent you a pm
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:49 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Hooves that need to be trimmed should be trimmed immediately behind the scull. :shock:

That will fix the foot issue. I think some people just enjoy working with problems.

Exactly. Quite often they'll say "well those little problems, that's what farming is all about."

No. That is what divorce is all about. And after a long time, you eventually do eliminate the problem.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I"m glad to see them at least attempting to make some headway. Would be nice if they'd get better participation from the large breeders.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:58 pm

If an animal needs it's feet trimmed, then they are not show prospects - on my farm. I have a couple of cows that we have used nippers on their toes - they are now recips - even though they are really good looking registered cows. I do not want to propagate that problem.
3 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeds Board”