Best Beef Breeds for Adding a Second Calf Per Cow?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Best Beef Breeds for Adding a Second Calf Per Cow?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 pm

"When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. "
That is NOT a good thing. If she was "heavy bred" she could have started to make colostrum, so letting a calf suck her, could put her own calf at risk of lacking the colostrum needed at birth.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:WC - your 3 calves look real beefy. Good bone on them.

Thank you.

Two of them were twins (a bit of a surprise) at 40lbs each ... unfortunately, one bull and one heifer. We may DNA test for freemartin ... I'll need to double check the cost for that test to make sure.

Two days later, the other heifer was born ... she's approximately 70lbs.

They look just like I'd expect them to look -- it'll be fun to watch the rumps develop on those calves. Heck, I may start another thread to track their development... We're expecting a dozen (+/-) calves of this cross over the next few weeks.
3 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. "
That is NOT a good thing. If she was "heavy bred" she could have started to make colostrum, so letting a calf suck her, could put her own calf at risk of lacking the colostrum needed at birth.

Naaaasa.... The great thing about Brahman cattle is they take care of themselves. Just stay out of their way so you don't screw it up.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:30 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:
Two of them were twins (a bit of a surprise) at 40lbs each ... unfortunately, one bull and one heifer. We may DNA test for freemartin ... I'll need to double check the cost for that test to make sure.

If the twins are infertile, you can still raise them for slaughter. Did you plan to breed them?
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Any thing with a strong Brahman influence tends to milk what ever.

I lost a cow at one place in December. She had a stout Braford bull calf on her. I went back to get the calf and he was hanging off a Brangus cow. Went back a couple days later and he was hanging off a tiger. The herd has been raising him since.

The herd will raise one orphan. I wonder if a herd of Brahman cross cows would raise a bunch of orphans.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 am

Bullitt wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:

If the twins are infertile, you can still raise them for slaughter. Did you plan to breed them?

Bull calves to slaughter --- some as veal, some a year later --- we're planning on running some 'tests' on consumer preferences.

Heifers to be developed to be recips for ET work.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 am

Bullitt wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

I lost a cow at one place in December. She had a stout Braford bull calf on her. I went back to get the calf and he was hanging off a Brangus cow. Went back a couple days later and he was hanging off a tiger. The herd has been raising him since.

The herd will raise one orphan. I wonder if a herd of Brahman cross cows would raise a bunch of orphans.

Idk. Hope I never have to find out. :)
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467230 ... 5653856961 These could put y'all in the business today
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 am

It's a hard work and only can work on a certain cows. We rarely needed to try add a second calf for the cow, just at those times when calf has lost their mom, which was twice. One cow has lost her calf last year, due to hard calving. Tried to graft one a couple weeks old calf to her, but she wasn't happy. Five days later a newborn calf has lost his mom and the cow took that orphan calf easily.
One my friend every year buys a number of beefx calves (usually Herefordx) and rear them on a couple his Simmentalx cow. Usually he manages to rear around four calves on one cow per year. He has been doing that for years. He has those few cows only for that job. He does have his suckler herd, but those calves make some extra income. Bulls later are sold or fattened and sold. Heifers mostly sold, sometimes he maybe keeps a couple as ET recipients.
In this part of the world Charolais cow wouldn't be a very good choice for a second calf, most of the time. Beefxdairy, Simmentalx, BBx, or Limousinex would be the ones to choose.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am

not to mention that it might take two years for a jersey calf to get up to 600 lbs...
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm

pdfangus wrote:not to mention that it might take two years for a jersey calf to get up to 600 lbs...

I was talking about Jersey X Angus calves. I think they would do alright.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Hard to beat a good crossbred,, if you venture outside of one breed. The Brahman F1 would e the ticket.. A good Tiger could have one tugging on each quarter.. If she can stay together...

When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. :)

My brangus always did that. Made me want to knock them in the head. Usually ended up with one or two calves that looked like they could have done better with more milk but at least we had no dead calves.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Hard to beat a good crossbred,, if you venture outside of one breed. The Brahman F1 would e the ticket.. A good Tiger could have one tugging on each quarter.. If she can stay together...

When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. :)

My brangus always did that. Made me want to knock them in the head. Usually ended up with one or two calves that looked like they could have done better with more milk but at least we had no dead calves.

I agree... Its not ideal but its better than the alternatives.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 am

TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

I have two cows now that allow another calf to suck. Both are good milkers. The one milks very heavy and it has never hurt her calves so although not ideal it don't bother me. It would be easy to put second calf on her every year.
1 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"When my 7/8 Brahman heifer was heavy bred a new born came up to her and stuck his head in to milk. She moved her leg and stood there for him. She didn't have any milk and had not even had a calf before. "

Naaaasa.... The great thing about Brahman cattle is they take care of themselves. Just stay out of their way so you don't screw it up.

What a beautiful cow. I always like looking at some ear. Don’t see them very often here
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”