SAV Elation 7899

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Assuming the owners tax rate is 30%, they can write him off in full this year and take $240,000 off his price.


...I know.

Tax considerations really do come into play, especially if there is substantial income.
1 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5017
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Last edited by Son of Butch on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5017
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 pm

frieghttrain wrote:https://www.schaffangusvalley.com/epd.html?reg=18911198
He doesn't look so hot

High Hopes (is what I'd have named him)
He does bring something to the table and doesn't look bad, until you ask.... Is that what 100k looks like let alone 800?

IMO He's a Boom or Bust prospect and at $50 with bottom 15% scrotal and bottom 30% hp
I'll be more than content to wait 4-5 yrs before deciding to try him or not.
0 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2762
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby gizmom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Well this record didn’t last long, Coleman Bravo sold today for 450k half interest if my math is correct that means valued at 900k. Congratulations to Larry and Dee.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 pm

gizmom wrote:Well this record didn’t last long, Coleman Bravo sold today for 450k half interest if my math is correct that means valued at 900k. Congratulations to Larry and Dee.

Gizmom

Elation was 800 for 80% so he’s a million dollar valuation.
1 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2762
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby gizmom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Jake

Your correct, but still a whole lot of money for a young bull.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:57 pm

gizmom wrote:Jake

Your correct, but still a whole lot of money for a young bull.

Gizmom


Very true. I wonder if any sire has ever produced more $$$ in a 18 month period than Charlo
0 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2762
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby gizmom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Jake

I don’t know but I do know when we started selling our yearling bulls the Charlo calves were the first ones selected. He sure adds power. I am a fan of XXP for the maternal power he adds to the equation. I am using the Extension bull and using sexed heifer semen to try to get as many females as I can. Which means the flush will probably be a total bust! Anytime I get really excited about a mating it seems to jinx it.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5017
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Jake wrote: I wonder if any sire has ever produced more $$$ in a 18 month period than Charlo?

I'm sure there has been, but what criteria are you measuring?
Semen sale $
Total value of offspring produced?
Economic impact of offspring from all farms combined?

The Holstein bull Pawnee Farm Arlinda Chief produced 2 million great granddaughters and 14% of holsteins
in the USA descend from him. His economic impact was estimated in 2016 at $30 billion dollars over 50 years.
That averages to 600 million per year (900 million per average 18 month period) or $1,643,835 per day
every single day for 50 years!

No beef bull could ever hold a candle to good old Chief in terms of economic impact.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Jake wrote: I wonder if any sire has ever produced more $$$ in a 18 month period than Charlo?

I'm sure there has been, but what criteria are you measuring?
Semen sale $
Total value of offspring produced?
Economic impact of offspring from all farms combined?

The Holstein bull Pawnee Farm Arlinda Chief produced 2 million great granddaughters and 14% of holsteins
in the USA descend from him. His economic impact has been estimated at $30 billion dollars over 50 years.
That averages to 600 million per year (900 million per average 18 month period) or $1,643,835 per day
every single day for 50 years!

No beef bull could ever hold a candle to good old Chief in terms of economic impact.

I was really only considering beef bulls and those selling registered progeny. Obviously some of the super ai bulls have likely produced more total $$ of cattle.

And I’m not a Charlo fan. I won’t use him. Just find interesting
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8017
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 am

Jake wrote: I’m not a Charlo fan. I won’t use him. Just find interesting


Disposition?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:28 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Jake wrote: I’m not a Charlo fan. I won’t use him. Just find interesting


Disposition?


I don't trust the disposition though don't know if it's a real problem or not. My real concern is structure and longevity. I can add fleshing ability and mass without sacrificing movement like I see with Charlo. I wouldn't trust him to run around our pastures breeding 40-50 cows in 60 days
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby elkwc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Jake wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Jake wrote: I’m not a Charlo fan. I won’t use him. Just find interesting


Disposition?


I don't trust the disposition though don't know if it's a real problem or not. My real concern is structure and longevity. I can add fleshing ability and mass without sacrificing movement like I see with Charlo. I wouldn't trust him to run around our pastures breeding 40-50 cows in 60 days


What sires do you use to add easy fleshing and mass then?
0 x

User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3712
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:11 pm

elkwc wrote:
Jake wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Disposition?


I don't trust the disposition though don't know if it's a real problem or not. My real concern is structure and longevity. I can add fleshing ability and mass without sacrificing movement like I see with Charlo. I wouldn't trust him to run around our pastures breeding 40-50 cows in 60 days


What sires do you use to add easy fleshing and mass then?


Recently through either ai or through sons. Resource renown and regard. Plan to go back to using some Net Worth this year.

If a person wanted to use occ genetics I’d look at Bill Conley in Missouri.

Give it a few years and we likely will try an xxp son on some of the rito bred females. Wait to see how they breed first.
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: SAV Elation 7899

Postby torogmc81 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Why does AAA take so long to post the SAV sale results? Seems like it's a week delayed, but any other sale seems to post the next day, sometimes same day, from what I've seen
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests