Would you keep her?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Would you keep her?

Postby southernultrablack » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 pm

This heifer is 9 mo old and is out of a very moderate framed cow. Her dam is maybe 1-1100 pound cow. I'n concerned that she's a bit small and I'm not sure if it's just because she's going to be smaller framed? I doubt she'll weigh 600 at this point. What would y'all do?

This is her on the right, next to an 11 mo old heifer
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Would you keep her?

Postby Bullitt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:19 pm

southernultrablack wrote:This heifer is 9 mo old and is out of a very moderate framed cow. Her dam is maybe 1-1100 pound cow. I'n concerned that she's a bit small and I'm not sure if it's just because she's going to be smaller framed? I doubt she'll weigh 600 at this point. What would y'all do?

What breed of bull do you plan to put on this heifer if you keep her?

I have seen some small heifers raise some big calves, and the small cow does not eat as much as a large one.
0 x

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Bullitt wrote:
southernultrablack wrote:This heifer is 9 mo old and is out of a very moderate framed cow. Her dam is maybe 1-1100 pound cow. I'n concerned that she's a bit small and I'm not sure if it's just because she's going to be smaller framed? I doubt she'll weigh 600 at this point. What would y'all do?

What breed of bull do you plan to put on this heifer if you keep her?

I have seen some small heifers raise some big calves, and the small cow does not eat as much as a large one.

If I keep her, she may be AI'd to an Angus bull
I like her depth top to bottom, and her phenotype in general. I don't like her top width.
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

If you like her mama and think she might have some potential for you I'd be inclined to keep her a few more months and see how she looks as a yearling.
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:39 am

We have several 6-7 yr olds that are shorter/smaller than the rest and most years raise some of our best looking calves. Do t know how many you keep/run, but I'm with AJ if you like the momma cow give her a try. You could always sell her as a pair later. Good luck.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 am

If you like the way she looks, not mentioning her size, and she's from good mother and sire, try to keep her. You'll always be able to cull later, if she won't work for you.
Have one 3rd calver which always was behind her half sisters. Her first two heifers are lacking growth. Thought about culling her soon, but now she calved with a big bull calf easily, so will look and maybe she'll stay for abit longer..
Last edited by lithuanian farmer on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 am

Was one at the first of your calving season and the other at the end? If so I wouldn't keep the one at the end. I try and only keep heifers in about the first half of my calving.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:39 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:If you like the way she looks, not mentioning her size, and she's from good mother and sire, try to keep her. You'll always be able to cull later, if she won't work for you.
Have one 3rd calver which always was behind her half sisters. Her first two heifers are lacking growth. Thought about culling her soon, but now she calved with a big bull calf easily, so will look and maybe she'll stay for abit longer..

Yep you can always cull her later....but she's not going to bring more later than she will now if she doesn't "work" for you. My opinion is at 9 months and not at 600 lbs shows she has growth issues, genetics or whatever, given the amount of feed in that trough......she would not be a keeper here.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm

You could sell her and use the money to buy a heifer you like better and eats more.
But I'd keep her and give it a go, you can always fall back to the above option at a later date if you change your mind.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Many cattle tend to grow apart, or change looks, as they age.
So you may want to plan on culling heifers at several points - -
after weaning
before breeding
after breeding
after calving
2 x
Stocker Steve

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:52 pm

I am with Stocker Steve on the culling thoughts. We cull at weaning, then make another culling when it's time to bangs vaccinate; usually 2-4 months later. Then look them over real good when they go to summer pasture. Sometimes will cull some after their yearling summer at pasture. Then they get another culling when they go to the bull. Because we breed and calve a little older than many, @ 27 -30 months, we can get a better idea of their overall general look. Then actually we do another culling, that is if they come up open after being with the bull.
So, we give any that are "maybe", a little longer to see how they will grow. One of my BEST cows was a bought black angus that was probably a lowline cross.... She never hit 800 lbs and had a crackerjack calf every year. Vet would make fun of shorty every time we preg checked, but I have 3 of her daughters and 1 granddaughter in the herd now. EASY keepers, bigger than shorty but not overly huge cows and they are fertile. Wean off calves in with the rest as far as size goes.
1 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm

I like her; I'd keep her. She'll probably become an excellent cow.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 pm

You don't know anything about a heifer till she calves, and that's a gamble also. Sell her and buy a young thin bred cow. Ugly cows can have some pretty calves.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies!

My gut tells me to send her down the road, mostly based on her narrow build. I've not dealt a whole lot with really moderate cattle and didn't know if I was expecting to much.
What would you expect a cow that matures at 1-1100 pounds to weigh at weaning? What about at yearling?
If I'm not mistaken heifers should be at 65% of mature weight at breeding, for an 1100 pound mature weight that's only 715 pounds at 13-15 months old.This is not an argument to keep her, just something I have wondered.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Pelvic measure her prior to breeding. You will likely cull her then.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”