Would you keep her?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Would you keep her?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 pm

littletom wrote:Pelvic measure her prior to breeding. You will likely cull her then.

What is your cut off and cull % for pelvic measurements?
0 x
Stocker Steve

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 am

If you like the genetics behind her, if her cow line has been productive, and if you have the room to keep her for awhile I'd give her a chance to mature and see what you have before breeding season. If you don't like her then you can always fatten her up an sell her for slaughter. We've had some heifers that maybe didn't blow you away at weaning but kept around because we knew they were out of good cows and some of those marginal heifers wound up being better cows than the ones that were the top calves of their calf crop. You just have to go with your gut sometimes and worse case if your gut feeling was wrong then you send that animal to the sale barn but if it was right you won't lose sleep wondering if you gave up on them too soon.
0 x

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 am

southernultrablack wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies!

My gut tells me to send her down the road, mostly based on her narrow build. I've not dealt a whole lot with really moderate cattle and didn't know if I was expecting to much.
What would you expect a cow that matures at 1-1100 pounds to weigh at weaning? What about at yearling?
If I'm not mistaken heifers should be at 65% of mature weight at breeding, for an 1100 pound mature weight that's only 715 pounds at 13-15 months old.This is not an argument to keep her, just something I have wondered.

Saw this after I posted. Go with your gut. If she does not fit the type you are breeding there is no point keeping her.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:38 am

southernultrablack wrote:My gut tells me to send her down the road, mostly based on her narrow build. I've not dealt a whole lot with really moderate cattle and didn't know if I was expecting to much.

Narrow is narrow
Moderate is still wide but less height :nod:
0 x
Stocker Steve

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 am

If you are asking the question, you have doubts. No sense making excuses for her. Send her down the road. That would be my advice.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:32 am

When you have "moderate" cow and you breed to an super easy calver, you can end up with offspring that is too small. Too small is too small.
Moderate height with good width & capacity is what most people want for a herd.
In my herd, my moderate cows are about a 4.5 to 5 frame weighing 1300#. My average cow is 5.5 to 6.5 weighing 1500#
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeds Board”