CAIP Bred Heifers

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Re: CAIP Bred Heifers

Postby elkwc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:48 am

Here much of the ground that should of never been broke out and farmed was in soil bank back in the 50's and 60's. Then it ended and as soon as it came out farmers broke out this sorry ground and it did contribute to any already over supply but in a few years much of it was blowing and they were getting paid for it not producing. Then CRP came along and most of it went back in and the gov't paid again to have it planted to grass and to maintain it. Now as soon as any comes out most are breaking it out again. Many just retired and lived on the income off of the ground. IMO it is welfare just like many of the other farm programs. And there should be a provision that if a land owner is paid once to put a piece of land back into grass they won't pay again on that same piece. Again JMO.
1 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 am

elkwc wrote:Here much of the ground that should of never been broke out and farmed was in soil bank back in the 50's and 60's. Then it ended and as soon as it came out farmers broke out this sorry ground and it did contribute to any already over supply but in a few years much of it was blowing and they were getting paid for it not producing. Then CRP came along and most of it went back in and the gov't paid again to have it planted to grass and to maintain it. Now as soon as any comes out most are breaking it out again. Many just retired and lived on the income off of the ground. IMO it is welfare just like many of the other farm programs. And there should be a provision that if a land owner is paid once to put a piece of land back into grass they won't pay again on that same piece. Again JMO.

I like this idea. I'm also against landowners hunt leasing ground that's receiving CRP or other big government money. It angers Regular Joe when they see farmers receiving 100's of thousands of dollars in gov't money, then leasing this same property to wealthy out of state hunters, and they won't let Joe on the place he's paying the bills on. Farmers used to have the highest reputations around. Not so much anymore, for reasons like this.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 am

elkwc wrote:Here much of the ground that should of never been broke out and farmed was in soil bank back in the 50's and 60's. Then it ended and as soon as it came out farmers broke out this sorry ground and it did contribute to any already over supply but in a few years much of it was blowing and they were getting paid for it not producing. Then CRP came along and most of it went back in and the gov't paid again to have it planted to grass and to maintain it. Now as soon as any comes out most are breaking it out again. Many just retired and lived on the income off of the ground. IMO it is welfare just like many of the other farm programs. And there should be a provision that if a land owner is paid once to put a piece of land back into grass they won't pay again on that same piece. Again JMO.

This is what some Environmental groups have documented. Excellent point. At the end of the day, the money spent to prevent erosion is a WASTE and the erosion is only postponed.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 am

BFE wrote:

I like this idea. I'm also against landowners hunt leasing ground that's receiving CRP or other big government money. It angers Regular Joe when they see farmers receiving 100's of thousands of dollars in gov't money, then leasing this same property to wealthy out of state hunters, and they won't let Joe on the place he's paying the bills on. Farmers used to have the highest reputations around. Not so much anymore, for reasons like this.

I want in on this gravy train. Sounds like good business.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:25 pm

So if I’m hearing correctly, I shouldn’t be able to hunt a particular piece of property in another state if I make over a certain amount of money (more than Average Joe)? That’s not welfare? I don’t contribute to the federal government that funds CRP? Interesting philosophy.
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:23 pm

BFE wrote:

I lease several pieces of ground that I don't get to hunt. Another guy pays for that.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 am

Gators Rule wrote:So if I’m hearing correctly, I shouldn’t be able to hunt a particular piece of property in another state if I make over a certain amount of money (more than Average Joe)? That’s not welfare? I don’t contribute to the federal government that funds CRP? Interesting philosophy.

Makes no difference the income of hunter. If you want to collect a fortune on CRP, your ground should be open to those that foot the bill, like a state wildlife area. At least then the taxpayer would get something for his money. It would put some teeth in the CRP program, make the landowner think hard about getting that payment.
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:53 am

BFE wrote:
Gators Rule wrote:So if I’m hearing correctly, I shouldn’t be able to hunt a particular piece of property in another state if I make over a certain amount of money (more than Average Joe)? That’s not welfare? I don’t contribute to the federal government that funds CRP? Interesting philosophy.

Makes no difference the income of hunter. If you want to collect a fortune on CRP, your ground should be open to those that foot the bill, like a state wildlife area. At least then the taxpayer would get something for his money. It would put some teeth in the CRP program, make the landowner think hard about getting that payment.

That would about totally eliminate the CRP programs around here. I like that idea.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 am

Sooooo to all the CRP naysayers, you make it sound like farmers are getting rich with CRP, or at least making a living off CRP.

True Grit, in your home state of Georgia, do you realize of the 7300 total acres on CRP contracts, 58% are Contracts encompassing only 11-50 acres? Personally, I don’t own any crop land, much less any CRP land.
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:51 am

Gators Rule wrote:Sooooo to all the CRP naysayers, you make it sound like farmers are getting rich with CRP, or at least making a living off CRP.

True Grit, in your home state of Georgia, do you realize of the 7300 total acres on CRP contracts, 58% are Contracts encompassing only 11-50 acres? Personally, I don’t own any crop land, much less any CRP land.

I'll take your word for the numbers. I should of said CPR type of programs. The NRCS and EQUIP programs and other government cost shares give millions of dollars yearly to those that plant trees and native forages in Georgia.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:46 am

Wish I had about 10 more Bred Heifers that quality under CAIP. Sold two yesterday.
0 x
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:55 am

You must have made out well.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You must have made out well.

Fire Sweep says I am too generous with my cattle. :hat:
0 x
Diogenes.

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Gators Rule wrote:Sooooo to all the CRP naysayers, you make it sound like farmers are getting rich with CRP, or at least making a living off CRP.

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Assets/USDA-FS ... 202017.pdf
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:02 pm

[image][/image]

Around many have done very well. Being there is a limit they have created many partnership names solely for the purpose of bypassing the max limit limitation. Many have lived on the payments for years. And now that they aren't offering as much they have took plowed it up and I've been told several hope they come out with another program so tgey can put it back in. They get mad when you call it welfare but it is. I have told more than one they should never complain about welfare as long as they are accepting it. They are no better than any other person on welfare
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”