Looking for a good Wagyu bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Looking for a good Wagyu bull

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:03 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:If they just had a bit more arse they wouldn’t be too bad. I’m hoping I can disguise them in a Beltie coat.

:lol:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Beefeater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Beefeater » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Trying one on some heifers has crossed my mind a lot over the past few years. I still don’t have enough land or cows to try this little experiment, but still interested. Found out a couple weeks ago a friend of mine put one on about 20 angus cross and should be seeing calves in a couple months. Not having a direct market in place first would scare me - they sure wouldn’t bring too much at the sale barn...
2 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:30 pm

I have 2 Wagyu young sires in the tank for use this year from Origen. I ordered them from my ABS rep.
https://www.origenbeef.org/semen_wagyu.php

Rule of Thumb for Wagyu seems to be the scrawnier the better... :)
The two I chose FB20807 LMR Harukiro and LMR Kurosawa FB20632 seem to be as ugly as any I've seen.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 am

To fully utilise them they have to be specially fed for extended periods to get the marbling that is desired. Where I am they do sell for a nice premium but you need to have a deck load to market them to the feeders either direct or through an online auction. As has been said if you put them through a normal sale they won't make much money.

Ken
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 am

This is a Waygu my friend Desi owns, he won the Houston Livestock show twice when I saw him as a calf I had trouble believing he was a Waygu for one he was the first red I had seen and two he wasn’t ugly.

Gizmom
2 x
Respect give it to get it!

LLBUX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LLBUX » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 am

Contact Kaye Kaufman for your Wagyu bull needs. kaye_weaber@yahoo.com 860-716-3626 kweaber@gmail.com
0 x

SIMMGAL
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SIMMGAL » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:45 am

Here's the one I'm trying in my herd this Spring:

https://www.stgen.com/sire-directory/be ... eef-cattle
0 x
"May you always have cows around!"

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing! :nod:

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 am

SIMMGAL wrote:Here's the one I'm trying in my herd this Spring:

That's about the best one I've every seen. The OP should try some AI'ing with that bull first, do a few head, see how it goes before jumping off. If it were me, I'd use this bull.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:24 am

The Red Wagyu are much beefier and better looking than the drowned rat appearance of the blacks.
But when you open them up they don't have the marbling quality of the blacks....especially the black Tajima bloodline.
I have had 3 calves sired by the red wagyu sire Umemaru.... (all 3 spooky high headed runners)

The traditional Japanese breeders divide the black bloodlines in to 4 groups, A, B, C, D and cross them in that order.

Group A are the best milking (none of the blacks produce all that much milk) and cross them with Group B or D
Group B are 100% Tajima the highest marbling bloodline, but they are also the smallest and slowest growing
Group C are the largest framed, fastest growing, lowest marbling and used on B and or AB to put frame and growth
back into them
Group D is the 2nd best marbling most often a high % Tajima
and repeat

Traditionally A is not crossed with the C bloodline and B is not a traditional cross with D
I've used Holstein, Simmental, Angus and some crossbreds as my group A starting base.
(Definitely not a Japanese tradition, but it's what I had)
On non-wagyu cows I would recommend a group B or D sire as the first cross to start.

From what I've seen of the 4 groups I would rate most all of the Red Wagyu sires as most like the group C sires
While the reds are definitely the most appealing on the hoof, I would not recommend starting the 1st cross with them.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks SOB. That’s what we’re looking for, the Tajima line.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 am

I too have heard the reds look better but the blacks marble better.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
SIMMGAL wrote:Here's the one I'm trying in my herd this Spring:

That's about the best one I've every seen. The OP should try some AI'ing with that bull first, do a few head, see how it goes before jumping off. If it were me, I'd use this bull.

IF you noticed in the blurb.... used to increase muscling, volume and milking ability (to other Wagyu cattle)
They don't mention marbling, and marbling is the #1 reason for non-wagyu breeders to use a Wagyu bull for
crossbreeding in the 1st place.
2 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:35 pm

LLBUX wrote:Contact Kaye Kaufman for your Wagyu bull needs. kaye_weaber@yahoo.com 860-716-3626 kweaber@gmail.com

Who is Kaye Kaufman? And 860 is a Connecticut telephone area code. Where are you located?
Who wants to go to New York City to pick up a bull?
:)
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Are Wagyu or Wagyu influenced heifers and cows scarce or hard to deal with? Seems it would be a more economical option to have lighter weight cows and a heavier type terminal bull like Wulf has been doing.

http://www.beefmagazine.com/cattle-genetics/beef-meets-dairy-benefit-both

Wulf has proven that a decent cow herd does not need to be based on high growth plus terminal type genetics and selection to make decent feedlot cattle. Just select the bulls for the feeders' needs. Hybrid vigor pays off, too.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Jersey produce high quality beef, but lack yield and feedlot efficiency x Limo = improved terminal for jerseys.

I'm not far enough into it, but I've found Wagyu knocks the snot out of milk production.
My best maternal wagyu influenced beef cow is a Wagyu x Holstein, but that type of cow would have a heck of
a time surviving range-land conditions. I doubt the maternal ability of a wagyu influenced cow herd as the way to go
for any traditional rancher.

The most profitable large scale way to produce Wagyu influenced beef might well be A.I.ing holstein cows to Wagyu
and sending them to the feedlot in the way Wulfs are doing the Jersey x Limos.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”