Are you proactive?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Are you proactive?

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 am

Here's a link to a youtube long time trucker, not this vid but in another one i think he goes to great lengths about why we are ending up with ELD's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9SgB-v7avo
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Coosh71
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Coosh71 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:56 am

I'm in the same boat as elk here. We have several buyers for our fall calves each year. One is south of Amarillo,TX (130 miles) and one 45 miles East of Woodward, OK (120 miles). We have been hauling these calves ourselves typically for a fee in our 32 and 24' trailers. And the sale barn we use from time to time is 75 miles one way. I have a DOT Officer that lives close I'm going to ask him if the new law is going to affect us like I'm hearing here.
0 x

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
gizmom wrote:Sure at a cost and if you could find the second driver. Whole lot of cows going to be waiting on a ride the industry already has issues finding drivers with livestock knowledge.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but between truckers TXing and falling asleep something had to be done. I can never remember seeing so many trucks drifting, swerving and crashing.
Grit, are you aware that a driver of a cmv can be fined up to 2800$ for texting while driving and the company 10k? Personally I think it should be that way for EVERYONE .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Nesikep wrote:Here's a link to a youtube long time trucker, not this vid but in another one i think he goes to great lengths about why we are ending up with ELD's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9SgB-v7avo

I listened to this video. So basically instead of addressing the problem he mentions they have applied it too many who weren't abusing it. That is always what happens when the gov't gets involved. I will admit there is problems with many long haul drivers including livestock haulers. Anyone who has unloaded cattle from these long haul truckers have seen it. I have seen them so high they were bouncing around. The one I will never forget was I was helping with wheat pasture cattle for a small feedlot. Sometimes if I was around the lot I would unload a truck that came in. A trucker came in and backed up to the chute and I went to unload him. He had drove straight through from Alabama. After he had backed up he opened the door and tried to walk out of the cab. He splattered on the asphalt. He got up and I could tell he was hurt. I helped him in the cab and I unloaded him. He took off. When whatever he was on wore off I'm sure he realized how bad he was hurt. I've seen this many times. So I agree that something needed to be done but from what I'm hearing they have over reached quite a bit.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”