Calving Season

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Calving Season

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:32 am

Sorry, but your Tony bull puts the others to shame. Your 2 AI sired bulls would be steers, in my eye. They do not show the depth of flank, length of hip, thickness of hind leg, cleanliness up front. To me they don't offer anything I would be looking for. The 805 may be tall, but looks like a poor heifer to me. Sorry, not meaning to offend! But, be critical - look at the pictures. compare the two AI bulls to the rest of your pictures. They can't even beat your heifers. Maybe, they are horrible pictures.
But, your Tony calves - unbelievably awesome!!!
That brings me to the subject of sales. I would think, that with the poor market available to you for AI bulls in USA, you should have a national demand for your bull calves. Do you sell in any special sales, or strictly private sales, or both?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Jeanne- I 100% appreciate your honest feedback on these calves, and I am not offended by any of your comments. We absolutely love our Tony calves, and as a result, we have and will continue to retain many of his daughters. We also have a really good yearling Tony son coming on, but I believe that this year's Tony sons will surpass him when it comes to quality. We have yet to find a bull, on the hoof or in the semen tank, that rivals Tony when it comes to consistent quality of the calves. In addition, out of the 250+ head of cattle that we have tested with Igenity for tenderness and marbling genes, nothing has had a higher combined tenderness and marbling score than Tony. We have been experimenting more with AI as we get more Tony progeny on the ground because we don't want to breed back Tony to all of his daughters. We have gotten some really nice heifers by these AI matings, but the bulls are more hit-and-miss. Many of our current AI calves are "firsts" for us out of certain sires, so we are still in the experimental phase of figuring out which bulls match well with certain types of cows. In a perfect world, we would like to have three different sire lines going at a time, with one of them being Tony. That way, we could systematically breed certain lines together, and still avoid inbreeding depression. We collected Tony three years ago, so we will have his progeny for many years to come. So far, his semen has been used in herds in Mexico, as well as numerous herds in the US.

We sell all of our cattle private treaty, but I would really like to get an annual production sale going once we get large enough. There is a breeder in Indiana that organized a sale of 15 two year old Murray Grey bulls, with the bulls coming from 4 or 5 producers. He averaged over $7,000 a head, with the top bull selling for over $15,000.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Well, to my eye, your cattle out of Tony should top anyone's sale. You really have something in that bull and his potential sons. What you need is a bull as good as him - not related. That is an uphill battle. I loved your breed way back when --- the problem then and obviously now - the gene pool is too small. Hopefully, with your imported semen, you will be able to get a click to replace/compliment your Tony line. these two pictured do not look like they are going to fit the bill.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Backbone Ranch wrote:JWBrahman- I did hear that Chris Fry was intending to get out of the cattle business, but I have not heard from him lately. We ended up buying his semen tank last year, and he still had a number of cows at that time. I need to get in touch with him and see how he's doing.

Freighttrain- This is the bull, Bimbadeen Innamincka's Star. I have seen photos of a number of his sons, and a handful of his daugthers; they were all awesome individuals. We only had three straws from him to begin with, so our fingers are crossed that she takes.

And this bull is Thologolong Innamincka. He is the sire of Innamincka's Star. He was a four time Melbourne Royal show champion.

Did she stick?
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:38 pm

I did not ever see her come back into heat at all during the breeding season, so I almost positive that she took. I am really excited to see that calf.
1 x

waihou
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby waihou » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 am

Another photo of Ballee Thumbs up for you!
We had one heifer by him which we bought in utero from the Ballee stud.
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:56 am

Thank you for the photo of Ballee Thumbs Up Sue! I had not seen this one. We are very excited to get more calves out of him. I hope that all is well with you and Trevor in New Zealand!
0 x

waihou
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby waihou » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 am

Yes, we met Thumbs Up himself and were friends with his breeder who is only an hours drive away from us here. Yes we are doing OK, but retirement and herd dispersal is drawing close.
This year is our 40th calving season with Murray Greys. Not one of our best, but only 4 left to calve, so nearly there-will post some photos one day!
Great to see how your herd is developing and the progeny of some of those old bulls.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”