Why are Hereford bulls overlooked?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Why are Hereford bulls overlooked?

Postby kickinbull » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:44 am

Is there information available about different cow family’s within the Hereford breed that makes choosing a certain family for traits? Such as YG, mothering, less hoof problems,calving ease,etc.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:49 pm

There is a lot of variation within the breeds and within the forage availability, but over black commercial cows, I would rank simangus and Hereford as equivalent, and straight simi 20 to 30 pounds higher, for weaning weight. This is based on limited personal MIG data, not second hand guesses.

The other factor is the percentage of live calves you wean... Simis have a higher management requirement than Herefords.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

What are some Hereford bulls to use to make females on angus cows? Must be polled, and still want some decent growth. I have a few victor 719t in production, and they seem to be doing very well.
0 x

SimAngHerf
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SimAngHerf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Tbrake wrote:What are some Hereford bulls to use to make females on angus cows? Must be polled, and still want some decent growth. I have a few victor 719t in production, and they seem to be doing very well.

I know there are more factors than the sire but what are his daughters mature weight in good condition?
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:03 pm

They are pretty big. I don’t weigh my cows very often, but I would guess then to be around 1300. They are just coming 3 year olds, so I expect them to fill out more.Little bigger than I like, but they are out of some large, fleshy cows. Some of the best I own. I tried taking some pictures of them earlier, but they turned out bad. I can’t get any pictures that show how good they truly are
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:22 pm

I've ran Hereford bulls over Angus cows for years without any problems. The baldy calves grow just as good if not better than the angus sired calves out of the same herd. Hereford sired calves are generally bigger but on grown cows that's not an issue. Main draw back to Hereford bulls is that it isn't very easy to find good ones and when you do they are pricey. Last year I had about 4 red baldies out of 35 hereford sired calves. They sell just as good as blacks though.
0 x

SimAngHerf
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SimAngHerf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 pm

Tbrake wrote:They are pretty big. I don’t weigh my cows very often, but I would guess then to be around 1300. They are just coming 3 year olds, so I expect them to fill out more.Little bigger than I like, but they are out of some large, fleshy cows. Some of the best I own. I tried taking some pictures of them earlier, but they turned out bad. I can’t get any pictures that show how good they truly are

I like the 1250-1350 mature range. Hopefully I will start AI’ing for 2019 breeding season
1 x

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Tbrake wrote:What are some Hereford bulls to use to make females on angus cows? Must be polled, and still want some decent growth. I have a few victor 719t in production, and they seem to be doing very well.

719T is a bull I have never warmed up to. I know some guys just love his females but I have never been impressed with progeny of his that I have seen in person and I know of 1 long time Hereford guy that feeds out a lot of steers that steered us away from using him after having some poor results with the steers sired by him. The large commercial operation just down the road from us that has mostly black cows did some AI to 719T and Revolution 4R 1 year as their herdsman is our AI tech and is co-owner in a Hereford partnership too and he was basically trying to give away the last of their 719T semen.

We used Revolution 4R and On Target 936 quite a bit recently and those 2 bulls probably have made more of an impact on our herd than any bulls we have ever used. Both are good for calving ease, their daughters have nice udders and their calves usually are some of the best in our recent calf crops.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Not sure where you are located but Danny Miller who posts on this forum has some very nice line bred polled cattle. They would cover the bases very well and won't have the issues many of the other bloodlines have. The name of his farm is JMS Victor Domino Polled Herefords. He also sells semen I think. I wish he was closer to me. If he was I would likely of bought a bull from him. Kuhlaman's raise good polled cattle. If you are going with a more current bloodline the most consistent I've seen is About Time.
0 x

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 pm

For you commercial guys, here is a story from a commercial guy we delivered a yearling bull to this week who is a 1st time customer that apparently has been doing his homework on Herefords. The bull we sold him his dam is a Revolution 4R granddaughter that is quickly becoming one of our best cows and his sire is an On Target 936 grandson who has probably added more thickness and muscle to our calves than any bull we have ever raised. He told us he paid more for this bull than he usually would but after researching Hereford AI sires and going back through this bull's performance records he felt it was a fair price and plans to get semen collected on him and use him AI too so he can use him on more than the group of cows he plans to run him with this summer to get the most out of his investment. There are a lot more commercial guys out there than purebred breeders so you have to keep them in mind too when you make breeding decisions.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 am

I also ran a polled Hereford on black angus, Gelbvieh & Baldie cows for years. Around here is BA city but my baldies sold right with them everytime. I believe that if they are "good" calves they will ring the bell. B&G
3 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Was wondering what bloodlines are causing the calving issues in the Hereford bulls mentioned in this thread if your willing to share.
2 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:There is a lot of variation within the breeds and within the forage availability, but over black commercial cows, I would rank simangus and Hereford as equivalent, and straight simi 20 to 30 pounds higher, for weaning weight. This is based on limited personal MIG data, not second hand guesses.

The other factor is the percentage of live calves you wean... Simis have a higher management requirement than Herefords.

As far as doing ability goes, Hereford has it on a lot of breeds..they can make it on white salt and sedge grass...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 pm

I am not opposed to a Hereford bull the Angus are readily available every where i go.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I am not opposed to a Hereford bull the Angus are readily available every where i go.

Can't go for a tank of gas, without passing several herds of angus....
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Return to “Breeds Board”